The hard-drive based iPod got a new name in September 2007. Henceforth it would be called the iPod classic. This was the 6th generation of the classic iPod design – and the first with an aluminum front.
The iPod classic had dramatically better battery life than the 5.5G iPod it replaced – up to 40 hours of music vs. 14. This was also the first iPod to offer 160 GB of storage.
White gave way to silver, and the Classic offered twice the storage capacity of the 5.5G iPod at the same price. There was no longer a U2 Special Edition.
Apple completely overhauled the user interface with the iPod classic, using more graphics and Cover Flow.
Apple continued using this design until the last hard drive iPod was finally discontinued in September 2015.
Unlike competing devices that used MP3 file compression, the iPod with iTunes was designed to use the superior AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) audio format in addition to MP3. AAC generally provides superior sound quality over MP3 at the same bit rate, especially at 96 kbps and lower sampling rates, as well as more efficient encoding, which means smaller files.
- Announced: 2007.09.05 at US$249 (80 GB) and $349 (160 GB)
- Included accessories: earbuds, USB 2.0 30-pin dock cable, dock adapter, iTunes CD
- Code name:
- Model number: A1238
- Product numbers:
- 80 GB: MB029 (silver), MB147 (black)
- 160 GB: MB145 (silver), MB150 (black)
- CPUs: Samsung ARM
- Audio chip: Cirrus Logic Audio Codec Chip
- Display: 2.5″ color 320 x 240 pixel (QVGA) 16-bit LED-backlit LCD.
- Battery: lithium ion
- Charge time: about 4 hours (2 hour fast charge to 80% capacity)
- Play time:
- 80 GB: 30 hours music, 5 hours video
- 160 GB: 40 hours music, 7 hours video
- Original OS: iPod classic OS 1.0
- Maximum OS: iPod classic OS 1.1.2
- iTunes Versions: iTunes 7.4 and later.
- Mac OS Required: OS X 10.4.8 or later
- Windows Versions Supported: Vista, XP Home or Professional SP 2 or later
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions: 4.1″ x 2.4″ x 0.41″ (80 GB) or 0.53″ (160 GB)
- Weight: 4.9 oz. (80 GB) or 5.7 oz. (160 GB)
- Best iPod classic Prices, best online deals on hard drive-based iPods.
- The End of an Era: Apple Discontinues the iPod classic, Kevin Hannon, Low End Mac, 2014.09.09
- A History of the iPod: 2005 to Present, Tom Hormby, Low End Mac.
- iPod Classic 6th generation, Wikipedia
- iPod classic, apple-history.com