Apple introduced the first 13″ MacBook Pro with Retina Display in October 2012 and introduced a speed bumped version in Early 2013. All models include USB 3, which has 10x the bandwidth of USB 2.0 – and USB 3 drives tend to cost a whole lot less than Thunderbolt drives.
The Retina Display has a stunning 2560 x 1600 pixel display, SSD instead of a hard drive, and eliminates the internal SuperDrive to produce a slimmer, lighter ‘Book with all the power of its older, heavier sibling.
The 2012 version starts with a 2.5 GHz dual-core i5 CPU, 4 GB of system memory, and a 500 GB hard drive. The “better” version has a 2.9 GHz CPU, 8 GB of RAM, and a 750 GB hard drive. Build-to-order options include SSDs and higher capacity hard drives.
The Early 2013 version starts with a 2.5 GHz dual-core i5 CPU (Turbo Boost to 3.1 GHz), 4 GB of system memory, and a 128 GB SSD. The “better” version has a 2.6 GHz CPU (TB 3.2 GHz), 8 GB of RAM, and a 256 GB SSD. Build-to-order options include a 2.6 GHz (TB 3.6 GHz) dual-core i7 CPU on the slower model, 3.0 GHz (TB 3.7 GHz) on the faster, and higher capacity SSDs up to 768 GB.
Both models ship with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, and they will have no trouble running OS X 10.9 Mavericks when it arrives.
- Got a MacBook? Join our MacBook Group or MacBooks Forum.
We have a separate price tracker for the non-Retina 13″ MacBook Pro.
Listings note RAM/hard drive size.
Best New Prices
- 2.5 GHz i5, $1,100 shipped, Amazon, B&H, MacMall (Low End Mac earns more when you buy from MacMall)
- 2.9 GHz i7, $1,444 shipped, B&H
- 2.5 GHz/128 GB SSD Retina, $1,694, B&H, MacMall, PC Connection (Low End Mac earns more when you buy from MacMall or PC Connection)
- 2.5 GHz/256 GB SSD Retina, $1,994, B&H, MacMall, PC Connection (Low End Mac earns more when you buy from MacMall or PC Connection)
Best Mac OS X Prices
- OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is available through the Mac App Store for $20
- OS X 10.9 Mavericks is a free download from the Mac App Store
Be sure to factor in shipping costs and possible sales tax. Your best value depends on whether you need/want a color printer, extra RAM, etc.
Unless otherwise noted, there is no surcharge for credit card purchases, and shipping is not included. Vendors are listed in alphabetical order. Be sure to visit their sites for full details.
Models are listed by CPU speed. Prices may be limited to quantity on hand. Not responsible for typos.
Buying through some of these links benefits Low End Mac. Buying at these prices benefits you.
- Retina Display (Late 2012): 2.5 GHz dual i5, 2.9 GHz dual i7, OS X 10.8.2, Intel HD Graphics 4000
- Retina Display (Early 2013): 2.5/2.6 GHz dual i5, 2.9/3.0 GHz dual i7, OS X 10.8.2, Intel HD Graphics 4000
New 13″ MacBook Pro
Prices include ground shipping unless noted otherwise.
|2.5 GHz model
|2.5 GHz dual i5, 8/128 SSD||$1,398.99||$1,399||$1,449||$1,398.99||$1,499|
|2.9 GHz dual i7, 8/128 SSD||$1,699|
|2.5 GHz dual i5, 8/512 SSD||$1,539.99||$1,649.99|
|2.9 GHz dual i7, 8/512 SSD||$1,999||$1,799.99|
|2.6 GHz model
|2.6 GHz dual i5, 8/256 SSD||$1,599.98||$1,570||$1,599||$1,599.98||$1,649|
|3.0 GHz dual i7, 8/256 SSD||$1,899|
|2.6 GHz dual i5, 8/512 SSD||$1,999||$1,999|
|3.0 GHz dual i7, 8/512 SSD||$2,199||$2,199|
- Amazon.com collects sales tax on orders shipped to AZ, CA, CT, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MA, MI, MN, NV, NJ, NY, NC, ND, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, WV, and WI.
- MacMall collects sales tax on orders shipped to CA, IL, MN, TN, and WI.
Used & Reseller Refurbished
Honestly, we don’t expect any of these on the used market until the anticipated Haswell-based models arrive later this year. These are the dealers we’ll be checking with.
None yet. Shipping may add $20 or more.
None yet. Estimated shipping is $13.50.
None yet. Ground shipping may add $18 or more. LA Computer collects sales tax on orders shipped within California. 30 day warranty.
None yet. Ground shipping averages $30. Mac of All Trades has the highest product turnover of any used Mac dealer we track and collects sales tax on orders shipped within FL.
None yet. Shipping included. Operator Headgap thoroughly refurbishes and tests every Mac they sell. When ordering, please let them know you heard about them on Low End Mac when entering your shipping information. Thanks!
None yet. Prices include free ground shipping.
None yet. $4.99 flat rate ground shipping.
None yet. 30 day warranty. Inventory changes daily.
None yet. Ground shipping can add $15 or more.
None yet. Local pickup available in West Hollywood, CA. Ground shipping may cost $50 or more. 30 day warranty. AirPort Extreme available at extra cost.
Need something even thinner and lighter with most of the power? Check out our Best MacBook Air Prices. Need something less expensive? Visit our Best Used 13″ MacBook Prices. Need something bigger and more powerful? See our Best 15″ MacBook Pro Prices, Best 15″ Retina MacBook Pro Prices, and our Best 17″ MacBook Pro Prices.