We love old technology, especially old tech that worked well. That’s why we’re passionate about Mac – and big fans of Palm OS PDAs and smartphones. This page lists all of our content about the Palm OS and the hardware that ran it.
- Speed Reconsidered, Jonathan Ploudre, 2000.06.15. “…the reason why the Palm Pilot was more valuable is that it fits in my pocket and runs off batteries.”
- Low End Mac on the Palm, Low End Mac’s Tech Journal, 2000. Jonathan Ploudre ran a Palm emulator on his Mac and took screen shots so we could see how the AvantGo mobile version of Low End Mac looked. (See Web Content to Go for more on AvantGo. It was some work adapting our content for portable devices. AvantGo, launched in 1997, closed up shop on June 30, 2009.)
- Getting Organized on Your Mac, Evan Kleiman, 2000.12.05. Recommends using Now-Up-To-Date and Now Contact to sync your Mac and “your Palm Pilot or Handspring Visor.”
- Palm Power, Jonathan Ploudre, Back & Forth, 2001.08.07. Having a computer in your pocket allows for pervasive computing.
- Connecting a Palm and a Mac, Korin Hasegawa-John, Mac Daniel, 2001.09.26. This is pre-OS X.
- The Case for an Apple PDA, Kevin Webb, The Mac Webb, 2001.10.04
- Using Palm Desktop Without a PDA, Beverly Woods, Acoustic Mac, 2001.11.23
- Entourage or Palm Desktop on OS X?, Evan Kleiman, Mac Daniel, 2002.04.17
- Hands On: Palm Desktop 4.0, Adam Robert Guha, Apple Archive, 2002.04.26. Version 4 is compatible with Mac OS 9 and OS X.
- Plucker Puts the Web on Your Palm for Free, Dirk Pilat, Down But Not Out, 2002.11.18. “After placing all files in the appropriate directories, installing the [free] Plucker-reader onto your Palm, and studying the help files, it is quite straightforward to get the content you want onto your Palm….”
- Newtons, Palms, and Pocket PCs: Why Apple Needs a PDA, Dan Knight, Mac Musings, 2003.10.01
- Palm Desktop Won’t Install? You’re Not Root, Jeff Adkins, Mac Lab Report, 2005.08.17
- Pocketable Power: Windows Mobile, Palm OS, or BlackBerry?, Charles Webb, The Webb Chronicles, 2006.01.27
- What Does Palm’s Subnotebook Foleo Mean for Mac Users?, Dan Knight, Mac Musing, 2007.05.31. Just before the netbook explosion, Palm designed a subnotebook that never did make it to market.
Palm Pre and webOS
- Palm Pre: Chronicle of a Death Foretold, Tim Nash, Taking Back the Market, 2009.03.10
- Palm Pre: Cutting Off Business Customers, Tim Nash, Taking Back the Market, 2009.10.05
- A History of Palm, Part 1: Before the PalmPilot, Tom Hormby, Palm OS, Tech History, 2016.07.19
- A History of Palm, Part 2: Palm PDAs and Phones, 1996 to 2003, Dan Knight, Palm OS, Tech History, 2016.07.19
- A History of Palm, Part 3: Handspring, From Rival to Partner, Tom Hormby, Palm OS, Tech History, 2016.07.20
- A History of Palm, Part 4: Reunited with Its Founders, Dan Knight, Palm OS, Tech History, 2016.07.21
- A History of Palm, Part 5: The End and the Post Mortem, Dan Knight, Palm OS, Tech History, 2016.07.25
Short link: http://goo.gl/pwFOJ4