February 24 in Low End Mac History
- 2011: 13" MacBook Pro (Early 2011). The smallest MacBook Pro moves to Intel's Core i5 and i7 CPUs, adds Thunderbolt, and loses nVidia graphics.
- 2011: 15" MacBook Pro (Early 2011). The mid-sized MacBook Pro moves to a quad-core Intel Core i7 CPU and AMD Radeon HD graphics - and adds Thunderbolt.
- 2011: 17" MacBook Pro (Early 2011). The biggest MacBook Pro gets a quad-core Intel Core i7 CPU and Radeon HD 6750M graphics - and adds Thunderbolt.
- Guide to P1 (iBook) features, Paulo Rodrigues, Tangerine Fusion. "Apple's upcoming consumer portable, code-named P1, fills the missing 'fourth box' of Apple's systems portfolio."
- Macs play MP3, Evan, Mac Happens. What MP3s are, how to use them on the Mac, and how to find them.
- Web design: Using include files, Dan Knight, Online Tech Journal. Low End Mac's webmaster shares tips on efficient site design.
- How MacCain won Michigan, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. Not only how he won, but why it matters for November.
- The Mac OS: 2 out of 3 ain't bad, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. Speed. Ease of use. Stability. Choose two of three, because you can't have it all.
- FireWire: Hot swapping isn't always a good idea, Charles W. Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings. "Unlike cranky old SCSI, you are supposed to be able to plug in or unplug FireWire devices to your heart's content with your Mac powered up - or not?"
- OS X networking, AirPort Extreme USB Printer Sharing, danger of haxies, reporting spam, and more, Dan Knight, Low End Mac Mailbag. Also more on the Macintosh MHz speed chart, DVD authoring software for G3s, feedback on Claris Home Page, and more thoughts on "dark side" CPUs.
- Why I bought a low end iPod, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. Most people buy an iPod so they can listen to music. I had two other reasons for buying a used iPod.
- Mac mini switcher's guide, Mac mini dock, iDash, mini opens world to Windows users, new digicams, and more, Mac News Review. Mac switcher never going back, Daystar Apple authorized service, Samsung 16x DVD burner, SmartDisk FotoChute, and new digicams from Concord, Rollei, and Olympus.
- FM transmitters: How good a choice for listening to your iPod on your car stereo?, Adam Robert Guha, Apple Archive. An FM transmitter makes your iPod compatible with any car stereo, but how good is reception? How good is sound quality?
- MacBook battery life and performance, MacBook teardown guide, longer life PowerBook batteries, and more, The 'Book Review. Also iTab, an iBook turned into a tablet; end in sight for 12" and 17" PowerBooks; QuickerTek Automator antenna switching software; bargain 'Books from $390 to $1,849; and more.
- First OS X malware in the wild, will Apple adopt Windows?, WiFi fears at Canadian university, and more, Mac News Review. Also limitations of ClamXav for detecting viruses, possible Intel iBook and Mac mini next week, making music with the Mac, and more.
- ARM netbooks could make OS X the mobile OS to rule them all, Tim Nash, Taking Back the Market. ARM netbooks won't run Vista, leaving things wide open for Linux, Android, and Apple to create new markets.
- The origin of Photoshop, Tom Hormby, Orchard. It all started when Thomas Knoll figured out how to dither color and grayscale images on his Mac's 1-bit display.
- 13" MacBook Pro (Early 2011). The smallest MacBook Pro moves to Intel's Core i5 and i7 CPUs, adds Thunderbolt, and loses nVidia graphics.
- 15" MacBook Pro (Early 2011). The mid-sized MacBook Pro moves to a quad-core Intel Core i7 CPU and AMD Radeon HD graphics - and adds Thunderbolt.
- 17" MacBook Pro (Early 2011). The biggest MacBook Pro gets a quad-core Intel Core i7 CPU and Radeon HD 6750M graphics - and adds Thunderbolt.
- Mountain Lion Obsoletes the MacBook I Just Bought, John Hatchett, Recycled Computing. John Hatchett just got his first Intel Mac, a preowned MacBook, in December, and now it looks like it won't be able to run OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
- Ivy Bridge Delay Could Postpone New MacBooks, Apple Rumored to Be Working on ARM Laptop, and More, The 'Book Review. Also how to use an external MacBook Air SuperDrive with most Macs, Apple considered AMD for 2011 MacBook Air, single-platter 7200 rpm 500 GB drive from Hitachi, and more.
- How to Get Mountain Lion on Unsupported Macs, Messages Beta Available for OS X Lion, and More, Mac News Review. Also the utility of Dropbox, Gatekeeper in OS X 10.8 is cause for worry, tools needed to work on a Mac mini, and more.
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ