March 11 in Low End Mac History
- Internet Tax Freedom Act: A bad idea?, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. "America doesn't own the Internet and should stop acting as though it does."
- Mac users and geeks, or Geek like me, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. "We're wired different."
- Why I live Microsoft free, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings. Whatever your reason for living without Microsoft, you'll end up with a more stable Mac.
- Wireless Internet access should be free, just like radio, Rodney O. Lain, Things Macintosh. How local businesses can help make wireless networking anywhere a reality.
- Another perspective on processor upgrades, Tom Gabriel, My Turn. Sometimes a CPU upgrade and a little more memory is all an old Mac needs to remain comfortably productive.
- System 1.0 and Mac OS X, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. Understanding the history of the Mac OS can help us understand the future of OS X.
- The future of technology, Jeff Adkins, The Lite Side. The future of technology is lighter than you think.
- A sentimental Mac journey with a PowerBook 3400, Steve Watkins, The Practical Mac. "Experiencing an attack of nostalgia, I got out the 3400c today. In fact, I am typing this column on it...."
- Apple-Microsoft cold war turns hot, Jeff Adkins, The Lite Side. Situation quickly escalates as one-time partners take off the gloves and go for the jugular.
- Find online friends based on taste in music with Audioscrobbler, Adam Robert Guha, Apple Archive. Audioscrobbler uses the music you listen to so it can recommend tunes and find others with similar taste in music.
- 'Rolls Royce of laptops', notebook fuel cell, tiny battery monitor, Mac Feet, and more, The 'Book Review. Also iProtect cleaning cloth, universal power adapter store, laptop cooling sleeve, motion sensor software, Sharp's 3D notbook, bargain 'Books from $400 to $1,499, and more.
- iPod recovers ThinkPad, official Star Wars iPod skin, brush chrome your iPod, and more, iPod News Review. Also NewerTech high capacity iPod batteries, new PortalPlayer chip improves battery life, iPod car integration, iPod shuffle guide, and more.
- Digital SLRs are affordable enough to replace 35mm SLRs, Dan Knight, Digigraphica. Prices for DSLRs have dropped to record lows, and image quality generally matches or exceeds that of film.
- Boosting a 'Digital Audio' Power Mac with a 1.53 GHz dual G4 upgrade, Dan Knight, Low End Mac Reviews. Got a faithful old Power Mac that's reliable but feeling sluggish? A fast dual-processor upgrade can make a world of difference.
- WiFi hardware compatible with desktop Macs running OS X, MetaPhyzx, Mac Daniel. USB, ethernet, PCI, and other wireless hardware compatible with Mac OS X.
- WiFi CardBus adapters compatible with PowerBooks, MetaPhyzx, Mac Daniel. CardBus hardware and drivers compatible with PowerBooks running Mac OS X.
- WiFi PC Cards compatible with PowerBooks running OS X, MetaPhyzx, Mac Daniel. PCMCIA/PC Card hardware and drivers compatible with PowerBooks running Mac OS X.
- WiFi adapters for OS 9, Safari 4 on pre-FireWire Macs, and paper vs. plastic bags, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings. Also another WiFi PC Card for PowerBooks, a problem with Safari 4 for Windows, and someone who loves paper grocery bags.
- iPad gaming potential, Dan Bashur, Apple, Tech, and Gaming. Two years of developing games for the less powerful iPhone and iPod touch has prepared developers to unleash the iPad's potential.
- OS X 10.4 Tiger still very usable on a 500 MHz G3 Mac, Simon Royal, Tech Spectrum. For writing and basic Internet access, a 500 MHz G3 provides sufficient power and Tiger provides fairly up-to-date software.
- WPA for original AirPort, Stainless browser, multiple input bug persists in Snow Leopard, and more, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings. Also kudos for Shiira, G3 vs. G4 upgrade for Pismo PowerBook, and 17" PowerBook still suffices.
- Underwhelming iPad 2 has a silver lining, John Hatchett, Recycled Computing. The new iPad 2 is more powerful but just as limited as the iPad 1, which is now available for less.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ