May 20 in Apple and Low End Mac History
- Censorship and filtering, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. "There is great potential for filtering, potential both for good and evil."
- New type of G3 daughter card, Mac Daniel. First ZIF daughter card announced.
- 14" iBook G3/700. More than just a speed boost.
- 12" iBook G3/700. More than just a speed boost.
- Lindows ruling has Microsoft scrambling to claim consonants, Jeff Adkins, The Lite Side. After losing the suit over Lindows, Microsoft is making a preemptive strike by trademarking other *indows variants.
- PowerBook 1400: A very likable legacy 'Book, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings. The PB 1400 is a solid machine, a decent performer, and a practical value.
- Getting more out of AOL, Evan Kleiman, Mac Daniel. How to use a newer version of AIM, new buddy icons, an away message, and your favorite browser with AOL on the Mac
- Is QuickBooks Pro 5 the new accounting leader?, Steve Watkins, The Practical Mac. First update to QuickBooks in years supports OS 9 and X, but is it enough to win over Mac using businesses?
- Writer boycotts own work, Jeff Adkins, The Lite Side. After reading his own writings, Lite Side columnist is convinced it's just so much tripe.
- Is the Mac mini as disposable as a low end PC?, Adam Robert Guha, Apple Archive. Entry-level Windows PCs are essentially disposable commodities. Is the Mac mini any different?
- Tiger disk utility warning, battery powered Mac mini, $100 education rebate, Mac satellite Internet service, and more, Mac News Review. Also DiskWarrior updated for Tiger, best Power Mac G5 boot drive, overnight power supply repair service, new mini-matching drive enclosures, and more.
- Biggest and fastest notebook hard drives, best laptop for blogging, new scrolling tool, Linux on a PowerBook, and more, The 'Book Review. Also SuperDrive upgrade for iBook G4, LapWorks laptop desk, extending AirPort, Palm's LifeDrive, forthcoming 19" Dell laptop, bargain 'Books from $30 to $1,599, and more.
- iPod + washing machine = disaster, possible UK iPod tax, Xbox 360 May be iPod compatible, and more, iPod News Review. Also second iPod manufacturer, 50 fun things to do with your iPod, Tiger compatible utilities, and much more.
- Slot loading iMacs: The SE/30 for a new generation, Tamara Keel, Digital Fossils. They're relatively small, pretty quiet, reliable, can run Tiger, and are very affordable nowadays.
- SheepShaver brings Classic Mac OS to Intel Macs and Leopard, Alan Zisman, Mac2Windows. Mac OS X 10.5 doesn't support Classic Mode. Neither does Leopard. But SheepShaver lets you emulate a PowerPC Mac and run the Classic Mac OS.
- Low End Mac's Compleat Guide to the Pismo PowerBook, Charles Moore, 'Book Value. The first PowerBook with FireWire and AirPort support, Pismo had a great keyboard and lots of connection and expansion options.
- Virtual PC works with Leopard, Intel vs. PowerPC performance, beyond the Mac mini, and more, Dan Knight, Low End Mac Mailbag. Also upgrading Intel iMacs, Compact Flash in a PowerBook 2400, and thoughts on low-end Macs.
- FireWire sleep issues, Safari 3.2.3 vs. Safari 4 beta, iPhone tips for teachers, and more, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings. Also a dead Pismo PowerBook, Orinoco PC Cards in AirPort base stations, iBook backlight repair, and Wegener repair experience.
- Apple could sell 100 million OS X devices this year, Tim Nash, Taking Back the Market. The iPad had a successful launch, the iPhone could double sales year-over-year, and the Mac market continues to grow.
- One of Apple's stupidest moves, QuickTime Pro and OS X 10.6, yoyo adapter longevity, and more, Charles Moore, Charles Moore's Mailbag. Also problems with WindowShade X and Snow Leopard, getting data from 800K floppies, religious experiences, and more.
- 2011 iMac drive replacement solutions, 'evangelical frenzy' over Apple, Linux MintPPC, and more, Mac News Review. Also Firefox 3.5 going end-of-life, OWC SuperSlim enclosure for pulled optical drives, Memory Cleaner frees memory to speed your Mac, and more.
- Death of laptop exaggerated, Mac 'Book veteran chooses MacBook Air, the MacBook ARM debate, and more, The 'Book Review. Also new MacBook Air expected midyear, what the Post-PC Era really means, Mac's Delete key works "both ways", and more.
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ