June 17 in Low End Mac History
- Centris/Quadra profiles added to site:
- 500 series profiles added to site:
- An Expansion Slot in the iMac?, Dan Knight, iMac Channel. It looks like there may be an expansion slot inside the iMac after all.
- 'Sleep of Death' Discussion Continues, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings. Network time server and other possible explanations for the "sleep of death" problem.
- Good-bye, Rodney, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. Rodney O. Lain is gone. It hurts. Thoughts on why we loved and sometimes loathed his writing.
- The Benefits of Using Webmail, Steve Watkins, The Practical Mac. The biggest advantage of webmail is that you can access your email from any computer with a web browser and an Internet connection.
- How I Plan to Spend My Microsoft Windows Windfall, Jeff Adkins, The Lite Side. Ten ways schools can spend their Microsoft money without buying Windows software - er, make that nine.
- Mac vs. PC design, 9 vs. X, Mac 512K Value, Nonprofit Macs, G Wireless, and More, Dan Knight, Low End Mac Mailbag. More on hardware design, interface design, refurbishing older Macs for nonprofit use, 9-bootable Power Macs, and 802.11g wireless options for an older iBook.
- Does Intel Mean the End of Apple's Silent Computing?, Adam Robert Guha, Apple Archive. Apple has put the focus on quiet computers since 1999 thanks to cool running PowerPC chips. But now they're switching to Intel.
- Macintel a Triple Threat?, Intel Macs may go dual core, Pentium 4 goes 64-bit, Pentium upgrade for Cube, and More, Mac News Review. Also Linux developers looking to OS X, first OS X on Intel website, latest Red Hat Linux supports Macs, and more.
- Fastest G3 Yet, AA Cells in iBook Battery, First 160 GB Laptop Drive, Intel's Mobile CPUs, and More, The 'Book Review. 'Lucille' AC adapter powers 'Books, FireWire, USB devices; first booster antenna for iBooks; ThermographX updated; bargain 'Books from $380 to $1,299; and more.
- 8 GB iPod mini, Free Beethoven Downloads, iPod Linux, Tiny iChant Speakers, Pod Genius, and More, iPod News Review. Also iPod battery settlement details, threat from music phones, iPod troubleshooting, TransPod Direct in black and silver, and more.
- Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar Can Unleash the Power of G3 iBooks, Carl Nygren, Classic Macs in the Intel Age. After pulling a bad stick of RAM, the Dual USB iBook didn't have enough memory for Tiger or Linux. But even with just 128 MB of RAM, Jaguar did the job.
- Low End Mac's Compleat Guide to the 17" PowerBook, Charles Moore, 'Book Value. The world's first 17" notebook had a spacious 1440 x 900 display, was just an inch thick, and ran at an impressive 1 GHz.
- 16:9 Computer Displays: Let's Not Go There, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. "...there's no reason our computer displays should match the proportions of our television displays."
- Google Making Gmail More Secure, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. Gmail is free, fast, spacious, and already offers a secure access option, and now Google is preparing to test secure email by default.
- Broadband Growth, Phantom Traffic Jams, and Psychohistory, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. Mathematics has always fascinated me, and I love deconstructing research to try to determine what's really going on.
- You Might Be a Computer Geek If..., John Hatchett, The Lite Side. 20 signs that you just might possibly be a computer geek.
- Death of a Pismo, End of G4 Upgrades, 13" MacBook Pro Assessment, and More, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings. Also ATA100 drives working reliably in Pismos and Eudora 6.2.4 functioning perfectly with Leopard and broadband.
- Do We Still Need Email?, Simon Royal, Mac Spectrum. Email was once the killer app of the Internet, but Facebook and Twitter seem to be displacing it.
- iPads Hard and Costly to Make, Unlocked GSM iPhone 4, Retina iPad Anticipated, and More, iOS News Review. Also Galaxy Tab 10.1 rivals iPad, iPhone cost enterprise 80% more than BlackBerry, contract-free international calling, metal iPhone 4 cases, and more.
- Leaving Windows for 'the Laptop I Had Always Wanted', Next Gen MacBook Air Due Soon, and More, The 'Book Review. Also Acer slashes tablet forecast and banks on notebooks, a steampunk laptop, Eee Pad Transformer tablet-laptop hybrid, and more.
- Mac Back to School Promo, i7 iMac with SSD Bests Mac Pro, the Wintel Era Is Over, and More, Mac News Review. Also iMac the perfect desktop?, Apple may survive 100 years, Apple worth more than Microsoft and HP and Dell combined, Lion and the Rosetta dead-end, and more.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ