Mac Classic II/Performa 200
Dan Knight - 1998.01.10
Second Class Macs are Apple's somewhat compromised hardware designs. For the most part, they're not really bad - simply designs that didn't meet their full potential. (On our rating scale, the more brown apples, the worse the hardware.)
Apple tried to position the Classic II as a replacement for the venerable SE/30. However, the 16-bit data path gave it about 60% as much horsepower as the SE/30. On top of that, the Classic II had a 10 MB RAM ceiling, while the SE/30 could handle 128 MB. Finally, the SE/30 has a PDS expansion slot, but the Classic II had none.
Still, it was a nice step up from the Plus, SE, or Classic, all of which ran an 8 MHz 68000 and were limited to 4 MB RAM. Compared with them, a 16 MHz CPU and up to 10 MB of RAM was quite a step up.
The Classic II wasn't a terrible Mac, just a compromised one.
- introduced October 1991 at $1,900; discontinued September 1993 (Performa discontinued April 1993)
- requires System 7.0.1 to 7.6.1
- CPU: 16 MHz 68030
- FPU: 6882 (optional)
- performance: 1.8 (relative to SE)
- RAM: 2 MB, expandable to 10 MB using two 100ns 30-pin SIMMs
- 9" b&w screen, 512 x 342 pixels
- ADB: 2 ports for keyboard and mouse
- serial: 2 DIN-8 RS-422 ports on back of computer
- SCSI: DB-25 connector on back of computer
- expansion slots: none
Links for the Day
- Mac of the Day: PowerBook 5300, introduced 1995.08.25. The first PowerPC PowerBook - known for flaming performance.
- Support Low End Mac
- World Book Encyclopedia 2012 DVD, Tommy Thomas, Reviews, 2013.03.05. "You may be asking yourself, in an age of Wikipedia and instant information, is World Book still relevant?"
- Vintage Computer Festival SouthEast, April 20-21, 2013, Simon Royal, Mac Spectrum, 2013.02.25. Old Apple gear and old PCs.
- iMessage: The Ultimate Messaging Service?, Simon Royal, Mac Spectrum, 2013.02.21. In most ways, Apple's iMessage is far superior to BlackBerry Messenger.
- More links in our archive.
- Best Mac mini Deals
- Best 13" MacBook Pro Deals
- Best Intel iMac Deals
- Best iPod touch Deals
- Best iPhone Deals
- Best iPod nano Deals
- Best iPod classic Deals
- Best Apple TV Prices
- More deals in our archive.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ