The Keyboard Roundup
looks at some of the finest keyboards built for personal computers - past and present.
- IBM Model M: The One True Keyboard, 2009.05.12. Many consider the IBM Model M keyboard the finest computer keyboard ever made. Here's why.
- The legendary Apple Extended Keyboard, 2006.10.13. Introduced in 1987, this extended keyboard was well designed and very solidly built. It remains a favorite of long-time Mac users.
- Apple's Extended Keyboard II: Sequel to a legend, 2006.10.19. A look at Apple's slightly smaller Extended II keyboard with slightly softer key action - but still built like a tank.
- More features of Apple's Extended Keyboard II, 2006.11.13. The earlier article on the Extended Keyboard II overlooked some useful features. Readers explain what we missed.
- Avant Prime: Rebirth of the legendary Northgate OmniKey keyboard, 2006.12.13. Although Northgate went out of business in the 1990s, their justly famous OmniKey keyboard is now produced by CVT - and it's as good as ever.
Other articles about keyboards
- IBM Model M and Apple Extended II among best computer keyboards ever, 2007.01.29. Interview with Brandon of clickykeyboards.com, who discusses keyboard design and why two (IBM Model M, Apple Extended II) stand apart from the crowd.
- IBM Model M: The best computer keyboard ever, Andrew J Fishkin, Best Tools for the Job, 2007.01.15. Most of today's keyboards are cheap, mushy crap that won't hold up over time. Compared to them, the 20-year-old IBM Model M keyboard must come from a completely different universe.
- Microsoft's sturdy, low-cost wireless keyboard ideal for typing, Andrew J Fishkin, Best Tools for the Job, 2007.01.23. If you're looking for a good keyboard for typing on, the $50 Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000 keyboard and mouse are probably the best you'll find for the money.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ