Thomas Ahart has lived in Kansas City all his life and has been using Macs since about 1996. He owned a Gateway PC before he got his first Mac, and it was so troublesome that he was fed up and wanted to try a new platform. He tried a Mac and loved it instantly.
Thomas owns a Titanium PowerBook G4, Graphite Power Mac G4, two Blue and White Power Mac G3s, six tray-loading iMacs, two slot-loading iMacs, two iBooks, a Beige Power Mac G3, and many even older Macs.
In this column he’ll be covering older Macs the most, although he also likes OS X and new Macs. He’ll also write about somewhat newer Macs, although even these computers will probably considered old by many of you.
Thomas is a big Classic user, and he mainly writes about programs for Systems 7, 8, and 9.
- New Homes for 3 WallStreet PowerBooks, 2006.04.07. Although they may need a little restoration work, these are fine machines for using the classic Mac OS in the field.
- Would You Believe I Picked Up a Decent Old PowerBook for Just $26?, 2006.02.21. If you’re looking for a low-cost, low-power laptop for light use, there are some real steals out there. Like this Powerbook 520c….
- What’s a Good, Inexpensive, Useful, Older Mac? The PowerBook 1400, 2006.02.01. Relatively compact and not especially heavy, the PowerBook 1400 is a great low-cost way to run the classic Mac OS – and it’s portable.
- Yes, You Can Still Be Productive with a 20-year-old Mac Plus, 2005.01.16. It’s easy to come by a used Mac Plus very cheaply, and it can be a very nice writing tool – and even let you on the Internet.
- Why You Should Use Mac OS 7.6 to Get the Most Out of Vintage Macs, 2005.12.12. Although you may be able to run OS 8 or 9 on your old Mac, you’ll generally find better performance using Mac OS 7.6.
- The Sorry State of Web Browsers for Classic Macs, 2005.11.22. “One thing that’s hard to find these days is a good Web browser for old Macs, whether it’s for 68k or PowerPC ones.”
- Yes, You Can Still Be Productive with Classic Macs, 2005.11.11. Mac OS X and modern hardware are great, but those old Macs with System 7 through Mac OS 9 pull their weight as well.
Keywords: #productivemac #theproductivemac
Short link: https://goo.gl/czyigq