In 2012, The New iPad – as Apple called it – got its first Retina Display with a 2048 x 1535 pixel screen. It also received a quad-core graphics processor as part of its dual-core A5X CPU. It is commonly known as the 3G iPad.
For photos and video, the 3G iPad sports a 5 MP rear-facing camera that can record 1080p video. Facing the user is the same 640 x 480 camera found in the iPad 2.
Remarkably, despite having 4x as many pixels on its Retina Display, the 3G iPad matches the iPad 2 under Geekbench testing.
Rather than calling iPads with mobile data “+3G” as it had in the past, Apple switched to “Wi-Fi + Cellular” in part to celebrate moving past 3G into the realm of 4G LTE – and to avoid legal issues after first calling it “Wi-Fi + 4G” in markets where it was incompatible with local 4G standards. Cellular support is pretty much limited to US and Canada.
As with the iPad 2, there was a separate CDMA version of the 3G iPad.
The 3G iPad was discontinued after just over 7 months, replaced by the 4th generation iPad, which provided broader support for 4G LTE standards around the world.
iOS 9.3.5 was the last version supported on the 3rd generation iPad.
- Announced: 2012.03.07, on sale 2012.03.11 at $499 (16 GB), $599 (32 GB), and $699 (64 GB). $130 additional for cellular version.
- Included accessories: USB 2.0 30-pin dock connector, 10W 2A power adapter
- Code name: J1
- WiFi only: iPad3,1
- GSM: iPad3,3
- CDMA: iPad3,2
- Model numbers:
- WiFi only: A1416
- GSM: A1430
- CDMA: A1403
- Product numbers:
- WiFi only: MC705 (16 GB black), MD328 (16 GB white), MC706 (32 GB black), MD329 (32 GB white), MC707 (64 GB black), MD330 (64 GB white)
- GSM version: MD366 (16 GB black), MD369 (16 GB white), MD367 (32 GB black), MD370 (32 GB white), MD368 (64 GB black), MD371 (64 GB black)
- CDMA version: MC733 (16 GB black), MD363 (16 GB white), MC744 (32 GB black), MD364 (32 GB white), MC756 (64 GB black), MD365 (64 GB white)
- CPU: 1 GHz dual-core Apple A5X
- RAM: 1 GB
- Architecture: 32-bit
- Audio chip: Cirrus Logic CS4398
- Graphics engine: quad-core PowerVR SGX543MP4
- Display: 9.7″ 2048 x 1536 pixel multitouch screen
- rear: 4 MP 1080p
- front: 640 x 480 FaceTime
- Sensors: accelerometer, ambient light, compass, 3-axis gyroscope
- Geekbench, single core: 259
- Geekbench, multicore: 489
- I/O port: 30-pin dock connector
- WiFi: 802.11a/b/g/n
- Bluetooth: 4.0
- Wireless data:
- GSM: 4G LTE (700, 2100 MHz), UTMS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- CDMA: 4G LTE (700 MHz), CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz), UTMS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- GPS: WiFi-assisted GPS
- Battery: 42.5 Watt-hour lithium polymer
- Charge time: not specified
- Battery life: up to 10 hours
- Original OS: iOS 5.1
- Maximum OS: iOS 9.3.5
- iTunes Versions: iTunes 10.6 and later.
- Mac OS Required: OS X 10.5.8 or later
- Windows Versions Supported: 7, Vista, XP Home or Professional SP 3 or later
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions: 9.5″ x 7.31″ x 0.37″
- Weight: 1.44 lb. (1.46 lb. for cellular versions)
- Best iPad Prices, best online deals on iPads.
- iPad, Wikipedia
- iPad (3rd Generation), Wikipedia
- iPad (3rd generation), apple-history.com
Keywords: #3gipad #ipad3
Short link: http://goo.gl/Di37SY
searchwords: 3gipad, ipad3