Macintosh Portrait Display
The Macintosh Portrait Display was Apple's first full-page monitor for the Macintosh, a field Radius had pioneered with the Radius Full Page Display and matching video card in 1987. The Portrait Display was introduced with the Mac IIcx and the Macintosh II Portrait Video Card in March 1989 and uses a 15" vertical grayscale CRT. This display has a fixed resolution of 640 x 870 and uses a 13w3 connector instead of Apple's "normal" DB-15 video connector.
The power button is on the back of the monitor, along with a built-in 3-port ADB hub. The brightness and contrast controls are on the right side. The monitor can sit on top of most desktop Macs and is designed to complement the 11.9" wide Mac IIcx. It works with the Apple Universal Monitor Stand.
Apple recommends using a screen saver to avoid phosphor burn caused by static elements on the screen, such as the menu bar, drive icon, and Trash. To clean the screen, Apple suggests applying household glass cleaner to a clean cloth or paper towel and wiping the screen. You should avoid spraying glass cleaner directly on the CRT, as it could run down the screen, into the case, and damage the internal electrical circuitry.
- introduced 1989.03.07 at US$1,049; discontinued 1992.12.01
- tube size: 15"
- viewable size: 14.2"
- tube type: grayscale CRT
- warmup: 20 minutes for complete warmup, usable immediately
- pixels: 640 x 870
- bit depth: supports up to 8-bit grayscale
- display area: 8.0" x 10.85"/203 x 276 mm
- refresh: 75 Hz
- resolution: 80 dpi
- dot pitch: not known
- connection: DB-15
- video cable: removable cable with DB-15 connectors on both ends
- security: supports standard security lock
- dimensions (H/W/D): 12.1" x 11.5" x 14.9"/310 x 290 x 375 mm
- weight: 35 lb./16 kg
- power cable: standard computer power cable
- AC power: 90-270V, 47-63 Hz
- power draw: 75W, 0.6A
- operating environment: 50° to 95°F/10° to 35°C, 0-90% humidity, less than 10,000'/3,000 m altitude
- storage environment: -40° to 116°F/-40° to 47°C
- tilt/swivel base: optional
- part number: M0404 (Rev. A), M1030 (Rev. B)
- Macintosh Portrait Display: Technical Specifications, Apple
- Apple Macintosh Portrait Display Specs, EveryMac
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ