Charles Moore's Mailbag
- Apple's Great Hebrew Support, AirPort Express Silently Upgraded, Pismo G4, and More, 2012.12.03. Also a WindowShade replacement approved by Apple, upgrding a 15" MacBook Pro, and three 13" MacBooks.
- Optimizing PowerBook G4 Performance, TenFourFox May Run Faster with NoScript, and More, 2012.07.18. Also pros and cons of Linux on G3 PowerBooks and iPhoto 11 no longer updating in Snow Leopard.
- Pismos Back from the Brink for a While Longer, 2012.06.27. Other browser options for the Pismos that no longer like running TenFourFox.
- Avoiding Lion, Apple Refurb Value, Why Millennials Might Be Avoiding Cars, and More, 2012.04.17. Also browsers and writing tools for iPad users.
- Writing on the iPad, Mac and iOS Browsers, Refurb Store Experiences, and More, 2012.02.28. iPad writing tools, another iOS browser option, great deals at Apple's Refurb Store, and using a gaming mouse for everyday work.
- MacBook Air vs. MacBook Pro, Looking for a Vertical MacBook Stand, and SE/30 Internet Tips, 2012.01.31. Whether a MacBook Air makes as much sense as a MacBook Pro, finding a vertical stand for a MacBook, and tips for getting an SE/30 on the Internet.
- Moving from Pismo to MacBook Air, Pros and Cons of Cheap PC Laptops, and More, 2012.01.23. Also which upgrades make sense for an older PowerBook or MacBook.
- Getting By on Dial-up, Sharing Dial-up with AirPort, Power Outage Suggestions, and More, 2012.01.16. Also memory upgrade in a MacBook Pro suprisingly provides more memory for integrated video.
- Thunderbolt's Superiority Doesn't Mean It Will Succeed, Perfect Screen Size and Resolution, and More, 2011.11.28. Also more post-arrival iPad thoughts and should we expect to have to replace software when we upgrade operating systems?
- Apple Could Learn from webOS, Finding a Modem That Works with Lion, and More, 2011.10.31. Also replacing Firefox 3.6 on PowerPC Macs and Steve Jobs on living and dying.
- Is Bing Stealing Google Search Results?, Programming for Windows 8, and More, 2011.10.04. Also new Intel-native, Lion-compatible Tex-Edit Plus beta released and Power Mac G4 processor swap possibilities.
- Camino a Great Browser for Tiger, Snow Leopard Virtualized on Lion-Only Macs, and More, 2011.09.20. Also Windows 8 could make Lion look good, loving Lion's Launchpad, and installing Rosetta for Snow Leopard.
- Quitting Lion, Bypassing Flash, Chill Mat Fan Failure, and More, 2011.09.15. Giving up on Lion and going back to Snow Leopard, frustrated by end of Apple modem support, Flash workarounds for PowerPC Macs, and a Chill Mat problem.
- PowerPC Flash Limitations, Intel Tex-Edit Plus File Incompatibility, and More, 2011.09.06. Also another fan of the Targus Chill Mat for Mac, and file compatibility issues between different versions of Quark XPress.
- Where Next if Not Lion?, Rosetta Replacement Possible, PowerPC Alive and Well, and More, 2011.08.17. Also Best Data USB modem works with Lion, end of support for Office 2004 coming in 2012, and parallels between big old car lovers and Low End Mac users.
- Lion USB Modem Options, PowerPC Already Left Behind, 'Real Work' on Tablets, and More, 2011.08.10. Alternatives to Apple's "really badly designed" USB software modem, Apple USB Modem support already broke with 64-bit Snow Leopard, no PPC apps with Lion, and more.
- iOS and the Humna-Humna of the Internet, Lion Forcing the iPad Model on the Mac, and More, 2011.08.01. Also tablets are for those who don't 'get' computers, disappointing changes in iOS 5, a cheaper beater Mac laptop, and more.
- iPad Pros and Cons, EMF Protection, Mac OS Performance Historically, and More, 2011.07.18. Also Thunderbolt future, smartphones are like motorcycles, dropout sound with Leopard, upgrading a Power Mac G3, and more.
- Truck Computing, the iPad Experience, Does OS X Get Faster with Each Version, and More, 2011.06.27. Also loving the MacBook Air, differences between iPads and Macs, the future of Tex-Edit Plus, and reflections on old cars, trucks, and boats.
- Linguistic Obsessions, Long Term Mac Value, iPod touch as a Personal Computer, and More, 2011.06.07. Also upgrading a TiBook to Leopard for iPad compatibility and more suggestions for running DOS WordPerfect using virtualization and emulation.
- Fiat 500 Pros and Cons, More on Rosetta and Lion, docXConverter Working Just Fine, and More, 2011.05.31. Also using an older Mac to keep Rosetta available, the reality behind PowerPC installers, and a free .docx conversion service.
- PowerBook or MacBook?, Potential Rosetta Workarounds, Use Virtualization for DOS, and More, 2011.05.24. Also looking for a LaserWriter, repairing or replacing an original Mac mouse, and MacLinkPlus another Rosetta casualty.
- Office 2008 and Adobe CS Installers Don't Require PPC, Going to Miss AppleWorks, Quiet Computing, and More, 2011.05.16. Also the notion of Apple CPUs in future MacBooks, using .docx files with Mac OS 9, favorite mice and keyboards, and more.
- The Implications of Losing Rosetta in OS X 10.7 Lion, 2011.05.09. Rosetta lets PowerPC apps run on Intel Macs, but losing Rosetta means that some installers and updaters will no longer run.
- iPad Has Replaced MacBook, Shouting About TenFourFox, the Death of Rosetta, and More, 2011.04.25. Also why the iPad isn't for webmasters and comments on the Logitech Solar Keyboard and the MacMice Danger Mouse.
- Lion Breaks Older Installers, Apple Charging for Xcode, Desktop Lifecycle in Business, and More, 2011.03.31. Also another Pismo resurrection story and the future of browsers for PowerPC Macs and OS X 10.4 Tiger.
- Stone Dead Pismo, iPhoto 11 Issues on 24" Late 06 iMac, Why No Blu-ray for Macs?, and More, 2011.03.23. Also possible causes for Safari 4.1.3 disk noise, TenFourFox browser for PowerPC Macs, Lion DRM and product activation, and more.
- 2011 MacBook Pro Benchmarks, Lion Beta Won't Boot 2006 Mac mini, Remembering At Ease, and More, 2011.03.10. Also the Simple Finder for OS X, KVM switch vs. virtual screen software, and Citroënistas of the world unite.
- New MacBook Pro Makes Old Affordable, Say No to DRM and Intel Graphics, No Rosetta in Lion, and More, 2011.03.03. Also cloning your iBook's hard drive, PowerBook 1400 a favorite, Amazon Studios messing up screenplays, and more.
- Still Useful G3 iMac, Mac Nostalgia, Beautiful Cars, Road Trip Movies, and More, 2011.02.22. Long-term Mac value, most beautiful and ugliest cars, AppleCare value, and more.
- Looking Forward to Next MacBook Pro, Using Old Macs with New, Pismo Webcam Options, and More, 2011.02.15. Looking back at classic Macs and classic cars, basic philosophy on aging Macs, and more.
- AppleCare Value, Importing Bookmarks in Opera, and Beautiful Cars, 2011.02.08. Readers share their AppleCare experiences, how to import Firefox (and other) bookmarks into Opera, and more thoughts on beautiful cars.
- Car vs. Cell Phone, Beautiful Cars, Good Tiger Browsers, 2010 MacBook Air, and More, 2011.01.20. Further reflections on running cars as long as possible, sweet cars, browsers for PowerPC Macs, and the place of the SSD-based MacBook Air.
- Carlessness, Cluelessness, the Boomer Legacy, and More, 2011.01.05. More thoughts on cars, consumerism, where to buy laptop batteries, and the micro-USB charging standard for mobile phones.
- Thoughts on the Carless Generation, File Compression and CPU Speed, and Laptop Screen Transplants, 2010.12.21. Readers weigh in on the carless generation, when file compressions is a plus, and whether a 14" iBook display might work in a Pismo.
- Getting Tiger on a G3 iMac, OS X 10.6.5 Troubles, Firefox 4 Beta 7 for PowerPC Macs, and More, 2010.11.23. Also Quicksilver 2001 and 'big' hard drives, Power Mac G4 worth fixing?, and looking for SpellTools 1.4.
- Firefox 4 Compiled for Tiger and PPC Macs, the Intel/PowerPC Gap, Robot Car Safety, and More, 2010.10.28. Classic Eudora and OS X, hot-rodding vs. self-driving cars, and more.
- Pismo Resurrection Follow-up, Liking iCab, Dangers of Young Drivers and Self Driving Cars, and More, 2010.10.20. More details on Pismo resurrection, a Flash users falls for iCab, and more thoughts on hot rodding, inexperienced drivers, and Google's self-driving cars.
- A 'Good' Mouse Is Subjective, RAM Disks for Classic Macs, a Street Musician Playing an iPad, and More, 2010.09.30. Also Flash navigation issues with PowerPC Opera, the waning days of PPC browser support, loving Opera 10.62, and a Zip drive tip.
- Mac 512Ke Server, Classic Eudora and Snow Leopard, Danger of Nonstandard Optical Discs, and More, 2010.09.23. Also moving files from a dead iMac to a new one, troubles getting a Zip 100 Plus working with a Mac SE, and which CPU inside an iBook.
- Pismos on the Cheap, Firefox 4 Beta 3 for PowerPC, No Companion Drives for New Mac mini, and More, 2010.09.16. Also Pismo power manager problems, Firefox 4 Beta 5 sort of works with PowerPC, Mailsmith falls short, and more.
- Classic Eudora Works with OS X 10.5 and 10.6, Firefox 4 Abandons Tiger, and More, 2010.09.10. Also options for resurrecting a dead Pismo and an iPhone 4 case conundrum.
- MailForge Not Truly Useful, Eudora Problems with Leopard, Firefox 4 Beta for PPC, and More, 2010.09.02. Also a Pismo PowerBook that refuses to come back from the dead.
- Pismo Won't Boot from Hard Drive, Firefox 4 Requirements, Extending USB Mouse Range, and More, 2010.08.26. Also looking for a SCSI-to-ethernet adapter and information of original software for vintage Macs.
- Best Browser, Touchpads for Older Macs, iBook G4 GPU Repair, and Berry Etymology, 2010.08.18. Loving Firefox 4 Beta, Magic Trackpad alternatives for older Macs, resoldering the iBook G4 GPU, and the etymology of smultron and fraise.
- Apple's iOS Offensive, Android vs. Eudora Email, and iBook G4 Motherboard Failure, 2010.07.21. Apple's lessons learned marketing the Mac drive its iOS offensive, Eudora can't read email from Verizon Android, and iBook G4 motherboard problems.
- Loving Wireless Broadband, iBook G4 Deals, Email Migration from Eudora, and More, 2010.07.14. Also YouTube5 extension lets old Macs view YouTube videos without stuttering, and the possibility of Linux on a $37 netbook.
- Linux for $37 Netbook?, Pismo Back in Service Thanks to Disk Mode, Broadband Competition, and More, 2010.07.07. Also using Sophie's Cards with Snow Leopard, new Mac mini less toxic than most PCs, removing Pismo's port door, and Pismo boot issues.
- Saving on Broadband, iBook G4 on the Fritz, and a Pair of Pismos with Problems, 2010.06.25. If there's broadband competition in your area, you may be able to get your current ISP to price match. Also, Pismo clean install and startup problems.
- Safari 4.1 Trouble, Pismo vs. TiBook, Rain and Wireless Broadband, and Pismo G4 Startup Problems, 2010.06.16. Some users having problems with Safari 4.1, loving the Pismo PowerBook, possible solution to wireless broadband problems, and a Pismo that won't boot with a G4 upgrade.
- Mac Browser Options, Rain and Internet Problems, Strange Keyboard Behavior, and More, 2010.06.10. Also Keynote prevents screen saver from launching and computer science programs taught from a Christian perspective.
- More Tiger Browsers, OS X 10.5 Runs on Late 2009 Mac mini, Catweasel Floppy Controller, and More, 2010.06.02. Also Cruz and Stainless browsers support PowerPC but require Leopard, MacBook heat under Leopard and Snow Leopard, and a hardware solution for reading 800K Mac floppies.
- Leopard vs. Snow Leopard MacBook Heat, Keyboard Lockout Fix, Pismo Upgrade Woes, and More, 2010.05.26. Also why newer Macs generally can't run older versions of the Mac OS, getting data from 800K floppies, and networking vintage Macs.
- One of Apple's Stupidest Moves, QuickTime Pro and OS X 10.6, YoYo Adapter Longevity, and More, 2010.05.20. Also problems with WindowShade X and Snow Leopard, getting data from 800K floppies, religious experiences, and more.
- iPad Complements Desktop, Cheap USB 2.0 for OS X PowerBooks, i7 MacBook Pro Is Fast, and More, 2010.05.12. Also tinkering with computers, Snow Leopard still bumpy, Adobe and Epson dawdling, searching for ET, and more.
- Microsoft Office Sluggish with Snow Leopard, Creator Codes in Mac OS X, SETI Futility, and More, 2010.05.05. Apple and Microsoft drop the ball on old OS versions, and more thoughts on prospects for detecting extraterrestrial intelligence.
- Getting OS X 10.5 from Apple, WindowShade X for 10.6, USB Adapter for G3 PowerBooks, and More, 2010.04.29. Also creator code issues with Snow Leopard, speeding up Office 2004 in 10.6, replacing your desktop's hard drive with Compact Flash, and more.
- WindowShade for 10.6 in Beta, Dangers of Hacks, Blocking Flash, Unreasonable Expectations, and More, 2010.04.21. Also OS X 10.6.3 update available, custom OS X installation options, Thunderbird and overheating 'Books, and more.
- Multiple Input Bug Squashed, eBay Tips, 160 GB Hard Drive Recommendation for Pismo, and More, 2010.04.15. Also why WindowShade X may never work with Snow Leopard, monitoring and reducing CPU load, iMac G5 system support frustration, and more.
- Product vs. Brand Loyalty, Source for 160 GB PowerBook Drive, Lying to eBay, and More, 2010.04.07. Also Photoshop Elements 6 feels like Windows, Pismo blues could be a mis-seated daughtercard, and a little ego booster.
- Flash Makes Macs Hot, Thermal Paste Blues, Benefits of Old Technology, and More, 2010.03.31. Also missing Windowshade, Tiger vs. Leopard on G4 PowerBooks, Apple's new ad technology, and a broken G5.
- CardBus WiFi, the Shiira Browser, Ridding the Web of Flash, and Macs vs. PCs, 2010.03.18. Mac longevity, Shiira speed, ambidextrous Mac and Windows use, and how Flash benefits Apple.
- WPA for Original AirPort, Stainless Browser, Multiple Input Bug Persists in Snow Leopard, and More, 2010.03.11. Also kudos for Shiira, G3 vs. G4 upgrade for Pismo PowerBook, and 17" PowerBook still suffices.
- The Mac-PC Divide, Apple vs. Smut, WiFi Troubleshooting, Planned Obsolescence, and Pismo Upgrades, 2010.03.03. The differences between Mac and PC users, the 'latest and greatest' syndrome, clearing corrupt WiFi preferences, and more.
- Used Mac vs. Hackintosh, Macintosh Keyboard Layout, Used iBook Value, Old Chevies, and More, 2010.02.25. Also a dial-up Internet fallback option for networks and cleaning an old LaserWriter.
- Going Hackintosh, Aperture 3 Abandons PowerPC, 1995 LaserWriter Still Working Fine, and More, 2010.02.17. Also Ambrose Bierce on 'obsolete', old Chevies, iPad remote control options, the case against IMAP, and more.
- Maximum iBook RAM, Using Obsolete Tech Daily, Nondestructive Repartitioning, and More, 2010.02.10. Also Puppy Linux impresses, multitouch iMac prospects, iPad pros and cons, the climate debate, and more.
- iPad Should Support a Stylus, CoolBook Quiets MacBooks, Puppy Linux for PowerPC Macs, and More, 2010.02.03. Also the iPad as a genie in a bottle, Eudora Classic 6.2, notebook battery life, and more uses for 'obsolete' technology.
- Search for a Quieter MacBook, AC Adapter for Lombard PowerBook, Apple Magic Tablet, and More, 2010.01.27. Also Logitech Unifying Receiver and diNovo keyboard, and is everything ultimately political?
- Back to Pismo, Power Mac G4 CPU vs. Video Upgrades, Faster YouTube with Older Flash, and More, 2010.01.20. Also still using an Apple IIGS, Delete vs. Backspace key, old iBook and PowerBook power consumption, iSlate speculation, and more.
- Pros of Landline Phones, Upgrades Mean More Useful Life, Delete vs. Backspace Key, and More, 2010.01.13. Also CPU vs. video upgrade for Power Mac, another YouTube viewing option, mobile phone radiation may reduce Alzheimer's, and more.
- 'Obsolete' Tech, Better YouTube on G4 Macs, a New Paint Program for OS X, and More, 2010.01.06. Also PowerPC optimized browsers and WiFi connection problems with a Pismo PowerBook.
- Pismo Video Performance, Better YouTube on Older Macs, Cheap ATA Notebook Drives, and More, 2009.12.23. Also Pismo PRAM issues, Linux on PowerPC Macs, end of Flash for G3 Macs, recreating a clean install, and more.
- Belkin Router Reputation, ATA Notebook Drives, YouTube on G4 PowerBooks, and More, 2009.12.16. Also Pismo problems, using Spaces to enhance productivity, extensive OS X browser list, ImageWriters on ethernet, and more.
- Why Use Spaces?, Chemical Sensitivity and Older Electronics, Replacing HyperCard, and More, 2009.12.09. Also Tex-Edit Plus is being rewritten in Cocoa, connecting old printers to new Macs with affordable adapters, and more.
- Pismo a High Point in Apple Design, Pros and Cons of Leopard on Pismo, and More, 2009.12.07. Also going the full 1 GB in Pismo, reviving 'dead' $50 Pismos found one eBay, and still loving the PowerBook 1400.
- Thumbs Up for Logitech V550, Picking the Right MacBook, WiFi Networking Tips, and More, 2009.12.03. Also too early for Apple to abandon PowerPC support, Belkin router problems, Linksys router praise, and Dell Truemobile 1350 WiFi CardBus card.
- Soft Touch Keyboards, Wireless Mouse Options, Loving SeaMonkey 2, and More, 2009.11.18. Also the future of browsing with PowerPC Macs and the multiple mouse input bug introduced with OS X 10.5.8.
- More Mighty Mouse Alternatives, Wireless Safety, Switching to ClipMenu, and More, 2009.11.11. Also Apple's AirPort Card as the best solution for Pismo, Color It and Snow Leopard, and later revision Mac OS X install discs.
- WiFi Paranoia, iMac-O-Lantern, Magic Mouse Does Click, Free Clipboard Managers, and More, 2009.11.05. Also strange time stamps, problem with ColorIt on Intel Mac, and the story behind OS X 10.5.4 install discs.
- Fixing a Narcoleptic PowerBook G4, the Future of Tiger Support, Spam Filtering, and More, 2009.10.28. Also installing Leopard, disappearing features, portable Thunderbird, and web page design issues.
- A Useful Eudora Feature, FireWire Ports in Apple Displays, Having Enough RAM, and More, 2009.10.21. Also upgrading from Panther to Leopard, Low End Mac's new PC swap list, and reasons to avoid QuickPADs.
- WallStreet CPU Upgrades, Buffalo WiFi Problems, Long Power Outages, and More, 2009.10.14. Also wireless broadband, culprit behind MacBook insomnia, EU iPod volume limits, and QuickPAD connectivity.
- Eudora 8 Beta, Bible Study Software, One Reason to Choose an Apple Display, and More, 2009.10.07. Also questions about the Plantronics Voyager Pro and finding contentment with a cheap USB 2.0 PC Card.
- 'Snow Leopard' MacBook Insomnia, Webmail vs. Desktop Email, Penny a Minute Dial-up, and More, 2009.09.30. Also death of a G3 iMac, end of Flash 9 support on the Internet, Pismo Target Disk Mode failure, and sanitizing keyboards.
- The Welcome to Wireless Broadband Letters, 2009.09.23. Charles received a bunch of "welcome to broadband" emails in response to "Charles Moore Finally Gets Broadband!"
- Multiple Input Bug in OS X 10.5.8, Where to Buy a Cheap USB 2 CardBus Card, and More, 2009.09.16. Also input bug exists in 10.6, WallStreet has white and multicolor Apple logos, and printing from an old PowerBook.
- Cheap USB 2 CardBus Solution, OS 9 and Kanga, Mobile Mac Value, and More, 2009.09.09. Also a look at several options for using an old LocalTalk printer with a Mac running Mac OS X 10.6 'Snow Leopard'.
- 'Snow Leopard' vs. LocalTalk, New vs. Close-out MacBook Value, and More, 2009.09.02. Also LC III usability in the 21st Century, Pismo upgrades, and more on Pismo FireWire Disk Mode problems.
- Tiger on Pismo, LC III Just Died, Installing OS X 10.4 on a DVD Free Mac, and More, 2009.08.26. Also problems with Target Disk Mode on Pismo, Mac OS 9 app and extension recommendations, powering your 'Book on the road, and more.
- Problems Getting 'Tiger' on a DVD-less Mac, More Text Editor Suggestions, Future of Smulton, and More, 2009.08.19. Also Pismo doesn't require a PRAM battery, and WallStreet, MainStreet, and Pismo compared.
- Pismo Resuscitation, a Possible NotePad Deluxe Replacement, Eudora 8 Keyboard Shortcuts, and More, 2009.08.12. Also looking at TextWrangler and TextMate as potential replacements for the Smultron text editor.
- Pismo Worth a G4 Upgrade?, What to Do with Old Macs, and Dangers from Texting and Talking Drivers, 2009.08.05. More feedback from those who love the Pismo PowerBook, whether ancient Macs have much real value, and road risks from texting and talking on cell phones.
- Texting While Driving, the Power of DEVONthink and Adobe's The Bridge, Bamboo Bikes, and More, 2009.07.29. Also libertarian vs. conservative thinking, bamboo notebooks, and tips on vaporizing marijuana rather than smoking it.
- DEVONthink Power, Blocking Content in Opera, USB 2.0 to Ultra SCSI Adapters, and More, 2009.07.22. Also refurbished Macs are covered by Apple's Hardware Up-To-Date program and Craigslist postings are too easily deleted by others.
- New 'Books Have Better Displays, Digital vs. Analog Audio I/O, Craigslist Restrictions, and More, 2009.07.15. Also three browsers - Opera, Stainless, and Cruz - compared, and installing Mac OS X from DVD on a Mac that can't mount DVDs.
- New Browser for Classic Mac OS, Safari 4 and OS X 10.4.11, and More, 2009.07.08. Also Mac apps for searching Craigslist and less known options for controlling iTunes and iPhoto behavior.
- Refurb MacBook Pro Deal, Fastest Mac Browser, 256 MB Modules for WallStreet, and More, 2009.07.01. Also more Safari 4 feedback, praise for Camino, MacBook cracks, looking for Craigslist software for Macs, and more.
- Importance of FireWire, Replacement Battery Advice, RAM for WallStreet PowerBooks, and More, 2009.06.24. Also what is IrDA good for? And reflections on Kodachrome, digital photography, and medium format cameras.
- Death of a Pismo, End of G4 Upgrades, 13" MacBook Pro Assessment, and More, 2009.06.17. Also ATA100 drives working reliably in Pismos and Eudora 6.2.4 functioning perfectly with Leopard and broadband.
- Odd MacBook Sleep Behavior, Pismo Resurrection and Upgrades, End Nigh for Classic Eudora? and More, 2009.05.27. Also the end of the road for Lombard and G4 iMac CPU upgrades.
- FireWire Sleep Issues, Safari 3.2.3 vs. Safari 4 Beta, iPhone Tips for Teachers, and More, 2009.05.20. Also a dead Pismo PowerBook, Orinoco PC Cards in AirPort base stations, iBook backlight repair, and Wegener repair experience.
- 500 MHz iBook Keeps Going, iBook Video Repair, a WiFi Card That Costs Less than AirPort, and More, 2009.05.13. Also Dell's alternative to the 12" PowerBook, WiFi hotspot insecurity, and feedback from a Eudora fan.
- WiFi Hotspot Insecurity, iBook Longevity, and WallStreet Value, 2009.05.06. The dangers of WiFi hotspots, reliability of the 500 MHz iceBook, and the value of a used WallStreet PowerBook.
- External Western Digital Drives Not Recommended for Booting Any Computer and WiFi Range Reduction, 2009.04.29. Most external Western Digital hard drives can't boot PowerPC Macs, and WD says none of its external drives should be used to boot a computer.
- Acer One Replaces PowerBook, Unbootable WD FireWire Drives, WiFi Insecurity, and More, 2009.04.22. Also keeping a MacBook cool, good enough computing, PowerBook Duo vs. Clamshell iBook, and WiFi range reduction as a security tool.
- WiFi Security Advice, Unibody MacBook or White One?, Deleting Mac Apps, and More, 2009.04.15. Also getting external Western Digital drives to work with older Macs and a PowerBook Duo prototype found on eBay.
- The Importance of WiFi Security, Using Internet Sharing to Work Around USB Modem Problems, and More, 2009.04.08. Also more on the Austin Mini, synching an iPhone with a Pismo, and new software from Vertus.
- Obsolescence Is Relative and Sub-56k Internet Access, 2009.04.01. Also whether a Blue and White G3 is a viable platform for Leopard, growth in dial-up Internet access, and WiMAX in Canada.
- PowerPC Viability, Migration Assistant Rocks, Importing Mail to Eudora, and More, 2009.03.25. Also boosting MacBook memory, limiting CPU usage with SETI@home, and running Windows on pre-Intel Macs.
- Transitioning from PowerPC to Intel Macs, No Atheros WiFi Drivers for Classic Mac OS, and More, 2009.03.18. Also why the computer you have may be all the computer you need, advice on choosing a Mac notebook, Safari for Windows problem solved, and thoughts on a 1-control auto.
- WiFi Adapters for OS 9, Safari 4 on Pre-FireWire Macs, and Paper vs. Plastic Bags, 2009.03.11. Also another WiFi PC Card for PowerBooks, a problem with Safari 4 for Windows, and someone who loves paper grocery bags.
- Dialup Dependability, Safari 4 and G3 Macs, the Best Mac Keyboard Comes from Apple, and More, 2009.03.05. Also a possible solution to dialup problems in OS X 10.5, 17" PowerBook memory slot problems, 333 MHz Lombard outperforms 400 MHz Pismo, and more.
- Dialup Is Outdated, Eudora on Macintel, Improving Tiger on Low-end Macs, and More, 2009.02.25. Ongoing frustrations with Eudora and dialup, ways to tweak Tiger for better performance, and problems with a WD MyBook external hard drive.
- MacBook Design Limits USB Ports, Unibody Audio Prolem Solved, G4 Upgrades Disappearing, and More, 2009.02.18. How to get the headphone jack on Unibody 'Books working again, no more dual 1.8 GHz G4 upgrades, and a letter of appreciation.
- The Unibody MacBook, MacBook Pro Sound Problems, Welcome to Macintel, and More, 2009.02.11. Also the joys of using a small Intel iMac with a big external display and issues with 1 GB of RAM in the Pismo PowerBook.
- Used 'Book Value, Overheating 12" PowerBook, Target Disk Mode Weirdness, and More, 2009.02.04. Also Leopard breaks wireless printing for some printers supported by Tiger, and Unibody MacBook the right choice over polycarbonate MacBook.
- Reset an Unknown Admin Password, Cheap Dialup on the Road, $999 MacBook Updated, and More, 2009.01.28. Also a Pismo that won't enter Target Disk Mode and connecting a PowerBook 170 to the Internet.
- Camino Pros and Cons, Notebook Video Reliability, Overheating Since 10.5.4, and More, 2009.01.21. Also the joy of a 'Big Al' PowerBook, Unibody MacBook Pro a work of art, recycling an iMac for a cat, 64-bit PowerPC support, and password needed to install software.
- Overheating PowerBook, 7200 rpm in a G3 iMac, Getting Online During Blackouts, and More, 2009.01.14. PowerPC support in iLife 09 a pleasant surprise, no overheating issues with 7200 rpm drive in an iMac, and dial-up access as a good backup plan for power failures.
- Blackouts and Web Access, Death of a Kanga, the Future of PowerPC Macs, and More, 2009.01.07. Also another email client suggestion and whether a G3 iMac can handle a 7200 rpm hard drive without overheating.
- Love My MacBook Pro, Excellent Upgrade Advice, Unexpected Opera 10 Alpha Behavior, and More, 2008.12.18. Also Firefox 2 and 3 as processor hogs, almost no chance of Snow Leopard for PowerPC Macs, and Eudora withrawal woes.
- Why Macs Cost More than Dells, Leaving the Mac for Dell and Ubuntu, and Using Both Platforms, 2008.12.17. Readers weigh in on what Apple would have to do to compete with Dell on price, the joys of Ubuntu on an Inspiron, and Dell on the go with a Mac at home.
- New iPods vs. Old iTunes, Some Netbooks More Flexible than MacBooks, iCab 4 Uses WebKit, and More, 2008.12.10. Also Linux is more resource hungry and less responsive than OS X, the value of a 17" PowerBook, and looking forward to the diNovo Mac Edition.
- OS X More Efficient than Linux, Snow Leopard and PowerPC Macs, and Eudora Woes, 2008.12.03. A user reports both Panther and Leopard run more smoothly and use memory more efficiently than Linux. Also thoughts on PowerPC abandonment in Snow Leopard and replacing Eudora in Leopard.
- Another Way to Run WeatherBug, Aspire One Runs OS X, 17" MacBook Pro Hi-res Display, and More, 2008.11.25. Also finding that 'just right' notebook computer, car, or truck.
- Love My Refurb MacBook Pro, Eudora Forever, and the Lightest AA Batteries, 2008.11.18. Also questions about nVidia GeForce 8600 problems in earlier MacBook Pro models and importing Eudora mailboxes into Eudora successors.
- Refurb MacBook Pro Value, MacBook Too Big to Replace 12" PowerBook, Pismo Noise, and More, 2008.11.12. Also installing OS X using FireWire Target Disk Mode, running Virtual PC under Leopard, and how to use filters in iCab.
- Best Refurb MacBook Pro Value, AirPort Card Thermal Issues, Opera vs. iCab, and More, 2008.11.05. Also more thoughts on the lack of FireWire on the Unibody MacBook.
- Attractive and Ugly Macs, Discontinued MacBook Pro Value, and Writing with TextEdit, 2008.10.30. Readers weigh in on the good, the bad, and the ugly of Macintosh design over the past 24 years.
- No FireWire on MacBook a Deal Breaker, Getting Pismo Working with AirPort, and Pismo Screen Replacement, 2008.10.29. For those with FireWire peripherals, the Unibody MacBook falls short. Also fixing a Pismo that won't recognize AirPort and replacing its display.
- 3 Reasons to Use a Mac, and Pismo Troubleshooting, 2008.10.15. Why one Windows user is also a Mac user, a Pismo that can't see its AirPort card, and sources of kernel panics.
- The Power of Older Macs, Why Vista Only Sees 3 GB of RAM, Wangwriter Supplies, and More, 2008.10.08. Also the end of an era as MIT HyperArchive shuts down and another suggestion for profiling Windows computers.
- Tiger Great on Old G3 'Books, Maximum RAM for 867 MHz PowerBook G4, and More, 2008.10.01. Also why 4 GB of RAM in a 32-bit Vista PC wastes most of the last gigabyte and system profile software for Windows PCs.
- Car Seats for Computing, ThinkPads vs. Mac 'Books, Power Outages, and More, 2008.09.24. Also Time Machine and hard drive failure, more on early portable PCs, UPS for the Mac mini, IMAP and dial-up, and more.
- Portable Mac as Primary vs. Secondary Computer, Looking at ThinkPad Design, and More, 2008.09.17. Also learning from the Mac Portable, upgrading a PowerBook 5300, another free app to assure maintenance routines are run, and more.
- In Praise of Rugged Mac Notebooks of the Past, POP3 vs. IMAP Email, and Buying Glasses Online, 2008.09.11. G3 PowerBooks were the high water mark for ruggedness, expandability, and reliability. Also the benefits of POP3 email for dial-up users, and another article praising online eyewear.
- Routine Maintenance Tasks Still Run Inconsistently in Leopard, 2008.09.10. Apple has been trying to get routine maintenance scripts to run consistently since the release of Mac OS X 10.4, but users are still reporting problems under 10.5.4.
- Only Leopard Runs Routine Maintenance Tasks after Startup or Waking from Sleep, 2008.09.04. Mac OS X 10.5 runs routine system maintenance scripts as soon as possible after starting up or waking up your Mac. Earlier versions of OS X do not do this.
- Another Free POP3 Provider, Recharging a Dead PRAM Battery, Current Kanga Value, and More, 2008.09.03. GMX email now available in US, Panasonic UJ-841S drive won't burn discs, restoring a dead PRAM battery in a Pismo, and thoughts on Kanga value today.
- Resurrecting a Dead Pismo, Spotlight Search Tip, and EasyFind a Good File Finder, 2008.08.27. Lots of tips on bringing a comatose Pismo back to life, a Spotlight file name search tip, and EasyFind as an alternative to Spotlight.
- Pismo Won't Start, Spotlight Finds Too Many Files, and Panasonic SuperDrive in Pismo, 2008.08.20. Resetting a dead Pismo, an alternative to Spotlight gives better results, and success with the Panasonic UJ-850 drive in Pismo PowerBooks.
- Using Word 5.1 Files with Later Versions of Word, Keyboard Marks on a MacBook Screen, and More, 2008.08.14. Also the value of Panasonic's UJ-850 for older PowerBooks and shipping concerns about the SteelPad mousepad.
- Why Choose OS 9 Today?, OS 9 WiFi Security, Mousing with Parkinson's, and More, 2008.08.06. Limitations of using OS 9 today, putting a Panasonic SuperDrive in a Pismo, and the best pointing device for those with Parkinson's.
- A Use for Bad RAM, WiFi Security for OS 9, Steve Jobs' Health, and More, 2008.07.30. Also tricking out your notebook, Belkin's portable power hub with USB, and upgrading to Mac OS X 10.2.
- Buying glasses online, iCab on G3 iMacs, USB adapter for WallStreet, long term support, and more, 2008.07.16. Also whether a 1.67 GHz PowerBook is a sensible choice, midrange or top-end the best value, Opera can change the way you work on the Web, and more.
- Leopard best OS for G4 PowerBooks, support expectations from Apple, back to Opera, and more, 2008.07.09. Leopard features worth a little performance compromise, depreciation and the best value Macs, voice dication software for PowerPC Macs, and more.
- Depreciation game a gamble, best OS for 12" PowerBook, Opera 9.5 fast with unique features, and more, 2008.07.02. The depreciation game requires educated guesses, Tiger the best OS for a 12" PowerBook, why Opera rocks, and a Mac using sci-fi writer who loves the free market.
- Praise for Opera, low cost iBook mobo replacement, IrDA and IRtalk, WaMCom recommended, and more, 2008.06.18. Also the use of 'compleat', booting from CD, new Toshiba 1.8" drives too thick for MBA, and PowerPC support and Snow Leopard.
- Skip 867 MHz 12" PowerBook, iBook sleeps when touched, Netscape 7.0.2 keeps crashing, and more, 2008.06.11. Also getting a copy of the Mac OS for a Power Mac ONE, and whether it can run Linux.
- Netscape 7 for OS 9, Compact Flash faster than hard drive in PB 1400, MacSpeech Dictate, and more, 2008.05.28. Also using VNC over a network so two Macs can share one monitor and the VTBook graphics upgrade for Pismo.
- 1 display with 2 Macs, flash memory for file transfer, Quicksilver or TigerLaunch?, and more, 2008.05.21. Also running a PowerBook 1400 from Compact Flash, format=flowed for email, and OS 9 nice for browsing without Flash.
- Mac OS 9 still nice, anticipating Odysseus, PowerBook 1400 upgrades, and more, 2008.05.14. Also rebuilding PowerBook batteries, FastMac vs. NuPower replacement batteries, and only one G4 upgrade left for WallStreet PowerBooks.
- Pismo battery and screen problems, Zip vs. hard drive for backup, and MacBook Air packaging, 2008.05.07. Diagnosing battery problems and a fuzzy screen on a Pismo, backup options for Power Macs, and the small size of the MacBook Air's packaging.
- Troubleshooting Eudora, backing up a Beige G3, and why Macs are green, 2008.05.01. Problems getting help with Eudora, backup options for a Power Mac G3, and how the long-term usefulness of Macs makes them environmentally friendly computers.
- Picking the right 'Book, clamshell iBook memories, and alternatives to SCSI-to-USB, 2008.04.23. Choosing a good used 'Book for Classic, remembering the clamshell iBooks, and alternate options to avoid spending $99 on a SCSI-to-USB adapter.
- 18 bits can't display millions of colors, today's magic is different from yesterday's, and more, 2008.04.16. Also more feedback on Mac browsers, slow dial-up Internet, and a SCSI-to-USB 2.0 solution.
- Frustrated with Opera and Firefox, classic form factors, 18-bit color, and more, 2008.04.09. Problems with Mac browsers, the sufficiency of 18-bit color, design classics, and the magic of Macs and baseball.
- Fading magic at Apple, Major League Baseball's rebound, and an iMac that won't boot from a CD, 2008.04.02. Reflections on Apple's success as a business, CD-ROM problems in a G3 iMac, and Pismo processor problem solved with thermal paste.
- Newer iPods not compatible with Panther, iCab great with OS 9, and backing up to Eudora 6.2.4, 2008.03.19. Newer iPods require recent versions of iTunes, QuickTime, and OS X. Also iCab may be the best browser for Mac OS 9, and stepping back from Eudora 8 to 6.2.4.
- Maximum MacBook RAM, booting PowerPC Macs from USB, Eudora 8 'different', and more, 2008.03.12. Also possibly replacing a 1.33 GHz PowerBook with an Intel-based 'Book and recent iPod incompatibility with Panther.
- Solid State Drive experiences, OS 9 browsers, Tiger install problems, and more, 2008.03.03. A longtime SSD user weighs in, browser options for Mac OS 9, problems installing Tiger using Target Disk Mode, Odysseus to replace Eudora, and Office 2008 questions.
- What is a 'reconditioned' laptop?, finding Tiger for an iBook, Pismo burning through CPUs, and more, 2008.02.18. Where to find a copy of OS X 10.4 for an iBook, 'reconditioned' vs. 'refurbished', Pismo problems, and political discussion on the Mac Web.
- MacBook Air upgradable enough?, Lombard cache problem, and more on the liberal-conservative debate, 2008.02.04. Another go around on whether Mac users are liberal or conservative. Also looking for an OS X driver for the Netgear WG511T.
- Picking a lapdesk, MacBook Air the new Cube?, Pismo won't start, and Entourage vs. Mail and Eudora, 2008.01.28. Looking at pads for notebook computers, why the MacBook Air is the new Cube, a Pismo that stopped working, and whether Entourage is a good alternative to Mail and Eudora.
- DRM in Mac OS X, Ubuntu and BSD as alternatives to OS X, the power of Eudora, and more, 2008.01.14. More thoughts on Apple's digital rights patent and OS X, free non-DRM alternatives to OS X, Eudora and dial-up, and adding AirPort to a white iBook.
- Dialup fix for Leopard, scripting for cooler laptops, the Griffin iMate battery, and more, 2008.01.02. Also Eudora as the 'correct' email client, a fan of the Mozilla version of Eudora, and another text processor for Mac OS X.
- Maximum drive size in older Macs, 12" PowerBook 'the new Pismo', best browser for archiving, and more, 2007.03.21. Also WiFi cards for PowerBooks, video problem with a blue & white G3, installing OS X using NetBoot, and more.
- Why OS X 10.2 is best for Classic, switching to Opera, installing Tiger on a B&W G3, and more, 2007.03.05. Also thoughts on Firefox, modem problems on a Pismo with OS X 10.4, and connecting an Apple Studio Display to a MacBook.
- OS X 10.2 best for Classic?, Tiger on a Blue & White G3, salvaging an iBook hard drive, and more, 2007.02.12. Why Jaguar may be the best OS X for Classic mode, getting Tiger on a DVD-free Power Mac G3, transplanting a dead iBook's hard drive, and Mac service sources in Bogota, Columbia.
- Mozilla, WallStreets, 1400s, USB hubs, WordPerfect, free POP3 email, Sleep of Death, and more, 2002.07.22. Mozilla on NuBus Power Macs; WallStreet 13.3" issues; USB, DVD on PB 1400; early iBooks and compact USB hubs; free email accounts, more on the Sleep of Death, elitism, and more.
- Women in IT, G3 PowerBooks, Mac OS X, lots more, 2002.07.09. Women in IT; PowerBook G3, 1400, and 5300 concerns; OS X on WallStreet, drivers for non-Apple CD-ROMs, where to find WordPerfect, and doing what's right.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ