Motorola StarMax Index
- StarMax 3000 (Sept. 1996)
- StarMax 4000 (Sept. 1996)
- StarMax 5000 (July 1997)
- StarMax 6000 (never released)
- Got a StarMax? Join LEM's StarMax Group.
- Apple squeezes Mac clones out of the market, Dan Knight, Mac Musings, 2007.08.30. Apple started to license the Mac in 1994, the first clones arrived in 1995, and they quickly into Apple's profitable high-end market.
- The Tanzania Motherboards, Online Tech Journal, 2001.10.04
- FasterMax, Motorola StarMax forums
- SuperMac & StarMax advice, WordPerfect downloads, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings, 2001.08.22.
- My StarMax FrankenMac, Louis van Lammeren, My First Mac, 2001.08.16.
- Getting the most from your StarMax
- StarMax-Talk, Yahoo! Groups. An email list for Motorola StarMax and related clones.
- Upgrading the StarMax 3000, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings, 2001.01.26. The upgrade potential of the Motorola StarMax 3000 and 4000.
- Motorola StarMax page
- Guide to G3 Accelerators for Level 2 Cache Slot
- Guide to G4 Accelerators for Level 2 Cache Slot
- Should I Accelerate My StarMax or Buy an iMac?, Mac Daniel
- Apple TIL 30720: Power Mac 4400 update 1.0
- Apple has released patch for OS 8.1. It fixes problems with the HFS+ driver (which loads even when HFS+ volumes are not present) and the ATA Manager, which may result in your mouse click not registering or problems switching from a PC card. Read me and download.
- DriveSetup is compatible with some third-party drives (requires 68040 or PPC). See our compatibility list.
- RAM Charger from Jump Development ($40) lets you get the most out of your RAM - especially helpful on Macs with 8 MB or less. By launching applications using the minimum amount of memory they need, RAM Charger lets you run more programs. It also works well with RAM Doubler. You can even download a demo.
This page covers Motorola StarMax computers. These computers are based on Motorola motherboards, which have also been used by APS, PowerTools, Mactell, and others.
These motherboards do not support System 7.5.5. The only upgrade from 7.5.3 is to 7.6 or later.
starmax.net, the unofficial StarMax information site, was the best StarMax resource on the Internet, but it is gone and does not exist in the Internet Archive. The current owner of that domain is not running a Motorola StarMax site.
Be sure to see our list of dealers who buy, sell, or broker used and/or refurbished Macintosh and Macompatible hardware.
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ