Although the LaserWriter IIf was a big step forward from the LaserWriter IINTX., the IIg was also a big step forward from the IIf. It was the first LaserWriter with ethernet, and it included two technologies to improve output. FinePrint reduced jaggies on text while PhotoGrade supported over 65 levels of gray in printed output. The IIg also has a more powerful CPU than the IIf, a 25 MHz 68030 instead of 20 MHz.
The standard 5 MB of memory in the Iig can be expanded as high as 32 MB. It was one of the first printers with Postscript Level 2, a more efficient, more powerful version of the page description language.
Although no longer considered fast, 10 Mbps is 40 times as fast as LocalTalk, allowing users to send their output to the printer much more quickly. (This is about the same as the difference between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0.) Unfortunately, the AAUI ethernet port Apple used requires an adapter to work with any type of ethernet port.
The LaserWriter IIf and IIg used the same engine as the earlier LaserWriter II family of printers, and the older models could be upgraded be swapping in a IIf or IIg logic board. The LaserWriter IIg includes a SCSI port, allowing it to use an external hard drive to store fonts so they don’t have to be sent over a LocalTalk network.
The LaserWriter IIf and IIg have the same font set as the LaserWriter Plus and later.
- Introduced 1991.10 at $4,599; discontinued 1993.05
- CPU: 25 MHz 68030
- ROM: 2 MB
- RAM: 2 MB, expandable to 32 MB using 80ns 30-pin RAM
- Postscript Version: 2
- Built-in fonts: ITC Avant Garde, Courier, Helvetica, Helvetica Narrow, New Century Schoolbook, Palatino, and Times Roman, which came in regular, oblique/italic, bold, and bold oblique/italic, ITC Bookman Light and Demi, in regular and italic, plus Symbol, ITC Zapf Chancery, and ITC Zapf Dingbats
- Resolution: 300 dpi
- Speed: 8 pages per minute
- Engine: Canon LBP-SX
- Interfaces: AAUI Ethernet, LocalTalk, RS-232
- Languages: PostScript, HP LaserJet (PCL4+), Diablo 630
- Accessory Port: ADB
- SCSI Drive Support: yes
- Size (H/W/D): 8.75″ x 20.2″ x 18.7″
- Weight: 45 lb.
- Power Supply: 900W
- Upgrade Path: none
Keywords: #laserwriter #laserwriterii #laserwriteriig #aaui
Short link: http://goo.gl/nSC1h6