With the iPhone 4, Apple introduced its Retina Display. The screen was the same size as on previous iPhones, but with twice the vertical and horizontal resolution. It was a revelation.
The iPhone 4 introduced a new design with glass front and rear, and it was the first iPhone with a FaceTime front-facing camera.
The iPhone 4 was built around Apple’s own A4 processor, which was also at the heart of the iPad.
The iPhone 4 was the last GSM-only iPhone. All future models, including a second version of the iPhone 4, would support CDMA, which gave Apple access to a much broader range of carriers around the world.
Over 600,000 units were ordered in its first 24 hours to market.
The iPhone 4S replaced the iPhone 4 as Apple’s top-end smartphone in October 2011. The 8 GB version remained in production until September 2013.
- Announced: 2010.06.07, available 2010.06.24 at $199 (16 GB) and $299 (32 GB) with a two-year AT&T Wireless contract, $599 and $699 respectively without contract. 8 GB model added 2011.10 with introduction of iPhone 4S, originally $99 with two-year contract, dropped to free with contract in September 2012.
- Included accessories: earbuds, USB 2.0 30-pin dock cable
- Code names: N90
- Identifier: iPhone3,1
- Model number: A1332
- Product numbers: MC318 (16 GB black), MC536 (16 GB white), MC319 (32 GB black), MC537 (32 GB white)
- CPU: 1 GHz Apple A4 clocked at 800 MHz
- RAM: 512 MB
- Architecture: 32-bit
- Graphics engine: PowerVR SGX535
- Display: 3.5″ 640 x 960 pixel 24-bit multitouch screen @ 326 ppi
- rear: 5.0 MP autofocus with LED flash, 720p video
- front: 640 x 480 FaceTime camera
- Sensors: proximity, ambient light, 3-axis gyroscope, accelerometer, assisted GPS, compass, Nike+iPod
- Geekbench, single core: 207
- Geekbench, multicore: 206
- I/O port: 30-pin dock connector
- WiFi: 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz only)
- Bluetooth: 2.1+EDR
- UMTS/HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
- GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- Data: up to 7.2 Mbps but averaged about 2.1 Mbps at the time
- GPS: Infineon PMB2525 assisted by EDGE, 3G, and WiFi
- Battery: 1420 mAh lithium ion
- Charge time: about 4 hours (2 hour fast charge to 80% capacity)
- Battery life:
- Talk: up to 7 hours on 3G, 14 hours on 2G
- Standby: up to 300 hours
- Internet: up to 6 hours on 3G, 10 hours on WiFi
- Video: up to 10 hours
- Audio: up to 40 hours
- Original OS: iOS 4.0
- Maximum OS: iOS 7.1.2
- iTunes Versions: iTunes 9.2 and later.
- Mac OS Required: OS X 10.5.8 or later
- Windows Versions Supported: 7, Vista, XP Home or Professional SP 3 or later
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions: 4.5″ x 2.31″ x 0.31″ (115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3 mm)
- Weight: 4.8 oz. (137 g)
- Best iPhone Prices, best online deals on iPhones.
- iPhone 4 Technical Specifications, Apple
- iPhone, Wikipedia
- iPhone 4, Wikipedia
- iPhone 4, apple-history.com
Short link: http://goo.gl/QyDOBZ