The 13″ AppleColor High-Resolution Monitor was Apple’s first color display for the Macintosh. It was introduced with the Mac II in March 1987 and uses a 13″ Sony Trinitron CRT, which is curved horizontally but flat vertically.
Because it uses a Trinitron display, there is a thin horizontal wire about one-third of the way up from the bottom, which you may see as a thin gray line. This is normal; it is not a defect.
This display has a fixed resolution of 640 x 480 and uses Apple’s DA-15 video connector (not to be confused with the smaller, higher density DE-15 VGA video connector used on PCs).
The power and degauss buttons are on the back of the monitor; the brightness and contrast controls are on the right side. The monitor can sit on top of most desktop Macs and includes a height-adjustment bar that lets you raise the front of the display by one-half or one-quarter inch (12mm and 6mm respectively). Apple also sold a tilt-swivel base for this monitor.
Apple recommends against using this monitor at maximum brightness and suggests using a screen saver to avoid phosphor burn caused by static elements on the screen, such as the menu bar, drive icon, and Trash. To clean the screen, Apple suggests applying household glass cleaner to a clean cloth or paper towel and wiping the screen. You should avoid spraying glass cleaner directly on the CRT, as it could run down the screen, into the case, and damage the internal electrical circuitry.
- introduced 1987.03.02 at US$1,647; discontinued 1992.12.01
- tube size: 13″
- viewable size: 12.8″
- tube type: Trinitron CRT
- warmup: 20 minutes for complete warmup, usable immediately
- pixels: 640 x 480
- bit depth: supports up to 24-bit color
- display area: 9.25″ x 6.9″/235 x 176 mm
- refresh: 66.7 Hz
- resolution: 69 dpi
- dot pitch: 0.26 mm
- connection: DA-15
- video cable: removable cable with DA-15 connectors on both ends
- security: supports standard security lock
- dimensions (H/W/D): 11″ x 13.5″ x 16″
- weight: 44 lb./20 kg
- power cable: standard computer power cable
- AC power: 85-270V, 47-63 Hz
- power draw: 160W, 1.3A
- operating environment: 50° to 104°F/10° to 40°C, 0-90% humidity, less than 10,000’/3,000 m altitude
- storage environment: -40° to 116°F/-40° to 47°C
- tilt/swivel base: optional
- part number: M0401, M1297
- AppleColor High-Resolution RGB Monitor: Technical Specifications, Apple
- AppleColor High-Resolution RGB Monitor Specs, EveryMac
- AppleColor High-Resolution RGB Monitor, Wikipedia
keywords: #macdisplay #applecolordisplay