The Macintosh Monochrome Display was Apple’s second 640 x 480 grayscale display for the Macintosh. It was introduced with the Mac IIsi and Mac LC in October 1990 and uses a 12″ grayscale CRT. The display was designed to perfectly match the width and curved front of the IIsi and LC.
This display is lighter, draws less power, and has a more modern look than the Hi-Resolution Monochrome Monitor it replaced. It has a fixed resolution of 640 x 480 and uses Apple’s DA-15 video connector (not to be confused with the smaller, higher density DE-15 VGA video connector used by PCs).
The power button is on the back of the monitor; the brightness and contrast controls are on the right side. The monitor can sit on top of most desktop Macs. Apple also sold a tilt-swivel base for this monitor.
Apple recommends using a screen saver to avoid phosphor burn caused by static elements on the screen, such as the menu bar, drive icon, and Trash. To clean the screen, Apple suggests applying household glass cleaner to a clean cloth or paper towel and wiping the screen. You should avoid spraying glass cleaner directly on the CRT, as it could run down the screen, into the case, and damage the internal electrical circuitry.
- introduced 1990.10.15 at US$399; discontinued 1993.10.21
- tube size: 12″
- viewable size: 11.5″
- tube type: grayscale CRT
- warmup: 20 minutes for complete warmup, usable immediately
- pixels: 640 x 480
- bit depth: supports up to 8-bit grayscale
- display area: 8.4″ x 6.3″/212 x 160 mm
- refresh: 66.7 Hz
- resolution: 76 dpi
- dot pitch: not known
- connection: DA-15
- video cable: removable cable with DA-15 connectors on both ends
- security: supports standard security lock
- dimensions (H/W/D): 10.2″ x 12.2″ x 14.4″/260 x 310 x 365 mm
- weight: 16 lb./7.25 kg
- power cable: standard computer power cable
- AC power: 85-270V, 50-60 Hz
- power draw: 30W, 0.25A
- operating environment: 50° to 104°F/10° to 40°C, 0-90% humidity, less than 10,000’/3,000 m altitude
- storage environment: -40° to 116°F/-40° to 47°C
- tilt/swivel base: optional
- part number: M0400
- Macintosh 12-inch Monochrome Display: Technical Specifications, Apple
- Macintosh 12-Inch Monochrome Display: Description (Discontinued), Apple
- Apple Macintosh 12″ Monochrome Display Specs, EveryMac
keywords: #monochromedisplay #macmonochromedisplay #macdisplay