Apple promoted the 4G iPad as having twice the performance, faster WiFi, and a new FaceTime HD camera. It was the first iPad with a Lightning connector, introduced with the iPhone 5 earlier in the year, and had improved 4G LTE support compared to the 3G iPad.
The 4G iPad is built around Apple’s A6X processor with quad-core graphics, and it runs at an impressive 1.4 GHz – 40% faster than any previous iPad. Benchmarks supported Apple’s claim that the 4G iPad has twice the processing power of the 3G iPad.
In fact, Geekbench results show the 4G iPad has nearly 3x the processing power of the iPad 2 and 3G iPad.
In February 2013, it became the first iPad with a 128 GB option.
The 4G iPad was the first to come back from the dead. It was discontinued with the introduction of the iPad Air on October 22, 2013 while the iPad 2 continued on as Apple’s entry-level 9.7″ iPad. The 4G iPad returned on March 18, 2014, when the iPad 2 was phased out. It was again discontinued in October 2014, leaving the line with only iPad Air and iPad mini models.
- Announced: 2012.10.23, on sale 2011.11.02 at $499 (16 GB), $599 (32 GB), and $699 (64 GB). $130 additional for cellular version.
- Included accessories: USB 2.0 Lightning connector, 10W 2A power adapter
- Code name: P101
- WiFi only: iPad3,4
- GSM: iPad3,5
- CDMA: iPad3,6
- Model numbers:
- WiFi only: A1458
- GSM: A1459
- CDMA: A1460
- Product numbers:
- WiFi only: MD510 (16 GB black), MD513 (16 GB white), MD511 (32 GB black), MD514 (32 GB white), MD512 (64 GB black), MD515 (64 GB white), ME392 (128 GB black), ME393 (128 GB white)
- GSM version: MD516 (16 GB black), MD519 (16 GB white), MD517 (32 GB black), MD520 (32 GB white), MD518 (64 GB black), MD511 (64 GB black), ME400 (128 GB black), ME401 (128 GB white)
- Sprint CDMA version: ME195 (16 GB black), ME198 (16 GB white), ME196 (32 GB black), ME199 (32 GB white), ME197 (64 GB black), ME200 (64 GB white), ME410 (128 GB black), ME411 (128 GB white)
- Verizon CDMA version: MD522 (16 GB black), MD525 (16 GB white), MD523 (32 GB black), MD526 (32 GB white), MD524 (64 GB black), MD527 (64 GB white), ME406 (128 GB black), ME407 (128 GB white)
- CPU: 1.4 GHz dual-core Apple A6X
- RAM: 1 GB
- Architecture: 32-bit
- Audio chip: Cirrus Logic CS4398
- Graphics engine: quad-core PowerVR SGX554MP4
- Display: 9.7″ 2048 x 1536 pixel multitouch screen
- rear: 5 MP 1080p
- front: 1.2 MP 720p FaceTime HD
- Sensors: accelerometer, ambient light, compass, 3-axis gyroscope
- Geekbench, single core: 768
- Geekbench, multicore: 1399
- I/O port: 30-pin dock connector
- WiFi: 802.11a/b/g/n
- Bluetooth: 4.0
- Wireless data:
- GSM: 4G LTE (Bands 4 and 17), UTMS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- CDMA: 4G LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, and 25), CDMA EV-DO Rev. A/B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz), UTMS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- GPS: WiFi-assisted GPS
- Battery: 42.5 Watt-hour lithium polymer
- Charge time: not specified
- Battery life: up to 10 hours
- Original OS: iOS 6.0.1
- Maximum OS: current
- iTunes Versions: iTunes 10.6 and later.
- Mac OS Required: OS X 10.6.8 or later
- Windows Versions Supported: 7, Vista, XP Home or Professional SP 3 or later
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions: 9.5″ x 7.31″ x 0.37″
- Weight: 1.44 lb. (1.46 lb. for cellular versions)
- Best iPad Prices, best online deals on iPads.
- iPad, Wikipedia
- iPad (4th Generation), Wikipedia
- iPad (4th generation), apple-history.com
Keywords: #4gipad #ipad4
Short link: http://goo.gl/iw1CxQ
searchwords: 4gipad, ipad4