It’s a real seller’s market. Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard retailed for $129 and is now selling online for $169 and up. However, you can save by ordering directly from Apple at the original price by phone at 800-692-7753.
Also, if you have an Intel Mac, you can buy Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard for a lot less than 10.5 – it retails at $29 for a single user and $49 for the 5-user family pack.
OS X 10.5 came to market in late 2007 and raised the bar on what hardware was officially supported. Apple’s stated requirements are a G4 or later CPU running at 867 MHz or faster, at least 512 MB of memory (1 GB recommended), and 9 GB of available hard drive space. Leopard is the only version of the Mac OS to ship as a “universal binary” that can run on both PowerPC and Intel-based Mac hardware. It is the last version compatible with PowerPC Macs.
- Our Leopard Forum is for those using Mac OS X 10.5.
- Our Leopard Group is for those using Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6.
Our readers soon discovered that Leopard can run on any Mac with a G4 CPU and AGP graphics, although you have to work around checks in the installer to put OS X 10.5 on unsupported hardware. Leopard can run on 350 MHz G4 Macs once you’ve worked around installation issues, although not with the same performance you’d see on a fully supported Mac. We even have reports of a few running Leopard with only 384 MB of RAM. See our article on Unsupported Leopard Installation for more details.
Low End Mac does not sell software. Please use the links below to order from the vendor of your choice.
Best Mac OS X 10.5 Prices
- OS X 10.5, single user, $129, Apple (phone orders only at 800-692-7753); $169 shipped, Amazon.com
- Mac Box Set (OS X 10.5, iLife 09, iWork 09), $85 shipped, Amazon.com
- OS X 10.5, 5-user family pack, $199, Apple (phone orders only at 800-692-7753); $185 shipped, MegaMacs
- OS X 10.5 Server, unlimited, $613 shipped, MegaMacs
Prices may be limited to quantity on hand. Not responsible for typos.
Buying through some of these links benefits Low End Mac. Buying at these prices benefits you.
- OS X 10.5.6, single user, $169 shipped
- Mac Box Set, OS X 10.5, iWork 09, iLife 09, $84.99 shipped
- OS X 10.5.4 Server, unlimited users, $999 shipped
- OS X 10.5, single user, $179.95
Shipping may add $10 or more. Mac-Pro collects sales tax on orders shipped within CA.
- OS X 10.5.1 upgrade, requires 10.4, $177.77
Add $4.50-13.00 for First Class Mail.
- OS X 10.5.6, single user, $199.99
- OS X 10.5.6, 5-user family pack, $179.99
- OS X 10.5 Server, unlimited users, $599.99