Power Macintosh 7200
a.k.a. Power Mac 7215/90
- Got a PCI Power Mac? Join our PCI PowerMacs Group.
- Our Mac OS 9 Group is for anyoneusing Mac OS 9, either natively or in Classic Mode.
The7200 was the entry level second-generation Power Mac, the firstgroup of Apple computers to use the PCI bus. Originally produced in75 MHz and 90 MHz versions, the slower model was phased out whenthe 120 MHz model was introduced in March 1996.
Apple introduced a brand new case design with the 7200 and7500, one with a slide-off cover, an extrainternal drive bay, and a flip-up drive/power supply assembly,providing easy access to the motherboard.
Performance can be significantly improved by adding a level 2cache and upgrading VRAM to 2 or 4 MB. Unlike the simultaneouslyintroduced 7500, 8500, and 9500, the 7200uses a 64-bit memory and cache bus, one reason for its slowerperformance.
Overall, a pretty good computer, but we call it a Compromised Mac due to poorimplementation of the promised upgrade path. It wasn't until late2000 that Sonnet managed to create anaccelerator for this computer.
- 7200/75 introduced 1995.08.08 at $1,600; discontinued 1996.03.16
- 7200/90 introduced 1995.08.08 at $2,100; discontinued 1996.05.18
- 7200/120 introduced 1996.04.22; discontinued
- requires System 7.5.2 (with System Enabler 701 v1.1) through9.1
- CPU: 75/90/120 MHz PPC 601
- bus: 37.5/45/40 MHz
- performance: XXX (relative to SE)
- ROM: 4 MB
- RAM: 8 MB, expandable to 256 MB using 70ns 168-pin DIMMs (8 sockets),Apple notes "128 MB DIMMs can be used, but have not been tested" - thiswould bring total RAM to 512 MB.
- VRAM: 1 MB, expandable to 4 MB
- Video: supports resolutions to 1152 x 870 (1280 x 1024 with2 MB or more VRAM)
- L2 cache: optional
- PCI slots: 3
- microphone: standard 3.5mm minijack, compatible with line-levelinput including Apple's PlainTalk microphone
- ADB: 1 port for keyboard and mouse
- serial: 2 DIN-8 GeoPorts on back of computer
- SCSI: DB-25 connector on back of computer
- ethernet: AAUI and 10Base-T connectors on back of computer
- upgrade path: 7300/7500/7600 motherboard + CPU daughtercard,possibly to G3
- power: 150W
- PRAM battery: 3.6V half-AA
- height: 6.15 in
- width: 14.4 in
- depth: 16.9 in
- weight: 22.0 lb
- Gestalt ID: 108
Accelerators & Upgrades
- SonnetCrescendo G3 7200, 400 MHz G3 & G4 upgrades
- 7500/7600/7300 or G3 motherboard (7300 also requires 7300 powersupply)
- having 2 MB or 4 MB of VRAM improves performance
- Low End Mac's bestclassic Mac OS deals. Best online prices for System 6, 7.1, 7.5.x,Mac OS 7.6, 8.0, 8.1, 8.5, 9.0, 9.2.2, and other versions.
- Low End Mac'sCompleat Guide to Mac OS 9, 2008 edition, Charles Moore,Miscellaneous Ramblings, 2008.05.12. Declared dead by Steve Jobs 6years ago, Mac OS 9 remains fast and stable, but Classic softwarehasn't kept up with Web changes. What Macs support OS 9, where to buyit, and how to update to version 9.2.2.
- Environmentallyresponsible retirement for old Macs, Rick Lawson, Pioneers in MacDevelopment, 2008.06.13. After you've scavenged what useful parts youcan from your old Mac, what's the most environmentally friendly way todispose of the rest?
- Know your Mac'supgrade options, Phil Herlihy, The Usefulness Equation, 2008.08.26.Any Mac can be upgraded, but it's a question of what can be upgraded -RAM, hard drive, video, CPU - and how far it can be upgraded.
- Why youshould partition your Mac's hard drive, Dan Knight, Mac Musings,2008.12.11. "At the very least, it makes sense to have a secondpartition with a bootable version of the Mac OS, so if you haveproblems with your work partition, you can boot from the 'emergency'partition to run Disk Utility and other diagnostics."
- CreatingClassic Mac boot floppies in OS X, Paul Brierley, The 'Book Beat,2008.08.07. Yes, it is possible to create a boot floppy for the ClassicMac OS using an OS X Mac that doesn't have Classic. Here's how.
- The compressed airkeyboard repair, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings,2008.07.24. If your keyboard isn't working as well as it once did,blasting under the keys with compressed air may be the cure.
- Vintage Macvideo and monitor mania, Adam Rosen, Adam's Apple, 2007.12.17.Vintage Macs and monitors didn't use VGA connectors. Tips on makingmodern monitors work with old Macs.
- Getting insidevintage Macs and swapping out bad parts, Adam Rosen, Adam's Apple,2007.12.14. When an old Mac dies, the best source of parts is usuallyanother dead Mac with different failed parts.
- Better and safer surfing withInternet Explorer and the Classic Mac OS, Max Wallgren, Mac Daniel,2007.11.06. Tips on which browsers work best with different Mac OSversions plus extra software to clean cookies and caches, detectviruses, handle downloads, etc.
- Hacking Mac OS 7.6.1 so many MacOS 8 apps will run, Max Wallgren, Mac Daniel, 2007.10.30. With alittle ResEdit work and a second copy of your System Folder, you canrun a lot of OS 8 apps with Mac OS 7.6.1.
- Interchangeabilty andcompatibility of Apple 1.4 MB SuperDrive floppy drives, SonicPurity, Mac Daniel, 2007.09.26. Apple used two kinds of high-densityfloppy drives on Macs, auto-inject and manual inject. Can they beswapped?
- Mac System 7.5.5 can do anythingMac OS 7.6.1 can, Tyler Sable, Classic Restorations,2007.06.04. Yes, it is possible to run Internet Explorer 5.1.7 andSoundJam with System 7.5.5. You just need to have all the updates -and make one modification for SoundJam.
- Appearance Manager allowsInternet Explorer 5.1.7 to work with Mac OS 7.6.1, MaxWallgren, Mac Daniel, 2007.05.23. Want a fairly modern browser withan old, fast operating system? Mac OS 7.6.1 plus the AppearanceManager and Internet Explorer may be just what you want.
- Format any drive for older Macswith patched Apple tools, Tyler Sable, Classic Restorations,2007.04.25. Apple HD SC Setup and Drive Setup only work with Applebranded hard drives - until you apply the patches linked to thisarticle.
- SATA and PCI Power Macs: No OSX joy, but you can boot OS 9, Nathan Thompson, EmbracingObsolescence, 2006.11.17. Weeks of experimention find that whileyou can't seem to boot a pre-G3 Power Mac into OS X from a SATAhard drive, you can at least boot OS 9 from it.
- Musings on low-end SATA cardsin PCI Power Macs, Nathan Thompson, Embracing Obsolescence,2006.11.06. Thoughts on why the inexpensive SATA card might almostwork in a pre-G3 PCI Power Mac.
- Old Power Macs and SATA not amarriage made in heaven, Nathan Thompson, EmbracingObsolescence, 2006.11.03. The PCI SATA card said blue & whiteG3 or newer and Mac OS 8.6 or later, but maybe it would work in anolder pre-G3 Power Mac....
- System 7 Today, advocates ofApple's 'orphan' Mac OS 7.6.1, Tommy Thomas, Welcome toMacintosh, 2006.10.26. Why Mac OS 7.6.1 is far better for 68040 andPowerPC Macs than System 7.5.x.
- Mac OS 8 and 8.1: Maximum size,maximum convenience, Tyler Sable, Classic Restorations,2006.09.11. Mac OS 8 and 8.1 add some useful new features andtools, and it can even be practical on 68030-based Macs.
- Installing Linux on a PCI PowerMac, Part 1, Larry Stotler, Linux on the Low End, 2006.09.05.Preparing your PCI Power Mac (or clone) for Linux and gettingopenSUSE Linux installed.
- Preparing your Mac's hard drivefor Linux, Larry Stotler, Linux on the Low End, 2006.08.09.Before you install Linux, you have to partition your hard drive. Alook at three different hard drive strategies for Mac Linux.
- Customizing Mac OS 9,Nathan Thompson, Embracing Obsolescence, 2006.08.01. Fiddling withthemes, picking a browser, and making the Classic Mac OS work justthe way you want it to.
- The ins and outs of bootingLinux on the Mac, Larry Stotler, Linux on the Low End,2006.07.31. "Old World" Macs can't boot directly into Linux. Theyneed to boot the Classic Mac OS first, then pass control over toLinux.
- Preparing your PCI Power Macfor Linux, Larry Stotler, Linux on the Low End, 2006.07.26. Howpowerful a CPU do you need? How much memory? Do you need a fasterdrive controller? Are some video cards better than others?
- Floppy drive observations: Acompleat guide to Mac floppy drives and disk formats, ScottBaret, Online Tech Journal, 2006.06.29. A history of the Mac floppyfrom the 400K drive in the Mac 128K through the manual-inject 1.4MSuperDrives used in the late 1990s.
- ATI Radeon7000 Driver for Mac OS 7.6.1, System 7 Today, 2006.05.29. ATI'sinstallers don't support System 7.6.1, but System 7 Today's does,making this the fastest video card to work with Mac OS 7.6.1
- System 7.6.1 is perfect formany older Macs, John Martorana, That Old Mac Magic,2006.03.24. Want the best speed from your old Mac? System 7.6.1 cangive you that with a fairly small memory footprint - also helpfulon older Macs.
- System 7.5 and Mac OS 7.6: Thebeginning and end of an era, Tyler Sable, Classic Restorations,2006.02.15. System 7.5 and Mac OS 7.6 introduced many new featuresand greater modernity while staying within reach of most earlyMacintosh models.
- Web browser tips for theclassic Mac OS, Nathan Thompson, Embracing Obsolescence,2006.01.03. Tips on getting the most out of WaMCom, Mozilla,Internet Explorer, iCab, Opera, and WannaBe using the classic MacOS.
- The best browsers for PowerPCMacs and the classic Mac OS, Nathan Thompson, EmbracingObsolescence, 2005.12.16. Two browsers stand out from the pack: iCab 3 ismodern and remains under development, and WaMCom brings Mozilla toolder Macs.
- Why you should use Mac OS 7.6 toget the most out of vintage Macs, Thomas Ahart, The ProductiveMac, 2005.12.12. Although you may be able to run OS 8 or 9 on yourold Mac, you'll generally find better performance using Mac OS7.6.
- Sonata SD,Sonnet Tech, 2004.06.01. First new PCI video card for the Mac inages sells for just US$99, supports OS 7.5.3 and later plus OS X10.1.5 and later, works with VGA or old Mac monitors, 16 MBVRAM.
- Making the Crescendo/7200 moreattractive, James Kachel, My Turn, 09.24. Dear How Sonnet couldmake the Crescendo/7200 a more attractive upgrade.
- IllustatedPower Mac 7500 tear down, Steve Wood, Busman's Holiday,2001.07.23. The ins and outs of the 7200, 7300, 7500, and 7600case.
- What about that new 7200upgrade?, Michel Munger, Mac Daniel, 9/20. Sonnet has a G3upgrade for the 7200, but is it a good value?
- Review: Sonnet Tempo Ultra ATA66Macintosh PCI Host Adapter, Dan Knight, 7/28/00. The mosteconomical way to put IDE support in a PCI Power Mac.
- Burned by 7200 UpgradeOptions, Mac Daniel
- Upgrading a Power Mac 7200 and7500, Mac Daniel
- Bare Feats, "Goosing a 7200/90"
- Accelerate Your Macdescribes installing a PCI SCSI cardand two-drive RAID array
- Apple Specs for Power Mac 7200/75, 7200/90, 7200/120, 7200/120 PC Compatible, 7215/90 (Japanese)
- Apple Computer will consider this computer vintage as of July16, 2001 in the United States and July 23, 2001 in Canada. As ofthat date, service parts will only be available for units purchasedin California and being serviced within California.
- don't use EDO RAM in the 7200
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ