1999: Have you heard about the new electronic sticky notes that Third Voice lets users put on websites?
Maybe not – after all, the software only runs on Windows computers with Internet Explorer. Although a lot of visitors to this site use Windows and IE, my target audience is Mac users.
The idea of sticky notes on the web sounds like a very clever hack. You could put a note on the Microsoft home page telling them what you think of…
Hey, wait a minute, they could do the same to my site!
It’s My Site, and I’ll Post What I Want To
I don’t like the idea that anyone with the right software can come to my site and leave a note for anyone else using Third Voice.
I don’t care if the note says “Great site” or “Macs suck” or has links to a pornographic site (which I’ve heard is happening). I don’t want anyone putting electronic graffiti on Low End Mac. It’s my site. If you don’t like it, stay away or create your own counter-site, but don’t vandalize my pages.
Fortunately, there’s already a campaign underway to fight what many webmasters view as a violation of their sites.
2. I’ve also begun a letter writing campaign and sent a sample letter to several hundred webmasters. It’s a very short letter sent to email@example.com that simply states:
- “I hereby request that Third Voice respect the copyright and integrity of my web site – both the textual content and visual appearance – by blocking any Third Voice user from posting notes that would appear anywhere on mydomain.com.”
I don’t know how effective it will be, but it lets Third Wave know of our displeasure.
Third Wave is a very clever idea, and it is apparently well implemented. This could be a great way for a webmaster to receive feedback on site design or to do collaboration with others.
The problem is that Third Voice isn’t an opt-in system. At this point, it appears that Third Voice has set no limits on which websites their plugin can leave notes on.
- Third Voice Vandalizes Web Sites?, Mac OS Rumors, 6/10/99. Now Windows only, IE only plugin lets anyone put notes on your website.
- Say No to Third Voice. “This software is interpreted to be a violation of copyright and should be investigated on a Federal Level….”
- Register your complaint about copyright violation with Third Voice.
- More discussion at MacNN.