The ATI Radeon PCI is a 7″ PCI video card that works in a standard 33 MHz PCI slot or Apple’s accelerated 66 MHz PCI slot. It supports ATI’s Video Immersion Technology, so it can be used to view DVDs. Except for its PCI bus, this is essentially the same video card as the ATI Radeon Mac Edition AGP introduced with the Digital Audio Power Mac G4 in January 2001.
At the time, it was “literally the only high-end PCI gaming card on the market for Mac OS users….” (Inside Mac Games)
The card is compatible with the Performa 6400, Power Mac 6500, and other PCI Power Macs. There is a conflict between its drivers and the ATI RAGE Pro drivers supplied with the Beige Power Mac G3, Blue and White Power Mac G3, Yikes! Power Mac G4, Sawtooth Power Mac G4, Mystic Power Mac G4, and some Digital Audio Power Mac G4s that shipped with RAGE video; the RAGE drivers must be disabled to use the Radeon Mac Edition in this machine.
It will run in the 66 MHz double-speed PCI slot found in the Blue and White G3 and the Yikes! G4. It is also fully compatible with standard 33 MHz PCI slots.
ATI Note: “Radeon Mac Edition PCI version may be incompatible with some legacy system/monitor configurations. On the Power Mac 8600 and 9600, the VGA port is inaccessible. On the Power Mac 7200 and 7500, a nut must be removed from the card before it will fit.”
If you are using this video card with the Classic Mac OS, be sure to check ATI Drivers for Mac OS Classic. If you are using Mac OS X 10.3.6 or later, be sure to install the ATI Radeon Updater (Jan. 2005).
- Part no.: 100430061
- GPU: Radeon R100
- GPU speed: 166 MHz
- PCI bus speed/width: 33/66 MHz, 32 bits
- Video memory: 32 MB
- Memory speed: 166 MHz
- Memory bus: 256 bits
- Resolutions: 640 x 480 to 1920 x 1440
- Ports: DVI-I and VGA
- Dual monitor support: no
- Cooling fan: yes
- Minimum OS: Mac OS 8.6 required, 9.0 or later recommended
- ATI Radeon Mac Edition, ATI
- Radeon Series Drivers and Software for Mac OS X 10.4.x and 10.3.x, AMD
- ATI Radeon PCI, Michael Eilers, Inside Mac Games, 2001.02.28.
- ATI Radeon PCI, MacUser UK, 2001.05 (archived)
- ATI Radeon Info Page, The 6400 Zone
- Radeon Mac Edition, Peter Molfese and Joel Hruska, Van’s Hardware, 2002.02.01
- The ATI Radeon Is the Newest Graphics Accelerator for the Mac. But Is It the Fastest?, Bare Feats, 2000.10.16. Radeon AGP vs. Voodoo5, ProFormance 3 Plus (PCI), and Rage 128 Pro AGP.
- Radeon AGP vs Rage128 Pro AGP, Mike Breeden, Accelerate Your Mac, 2000.10.05
- Is the PCI Version of the Radeon a Lot Slower Than the AGP Version?, Bare Feats, 2001.02.23. “Is AGP that much faster?” It depends….
Keywords: #Macvideo #MacPCIvideo #PCIvideo #Radeonvideo
Short link: http://goo.gl/MMAvom