One of the biggest complaints about the original iPhone was that it didn’t use 3G for wireless data, instead depending on the far slower – average data speeds between 75-135 Kbps – EDGE protocol. Another complaint was the lack of third-party apps. The iPhone 3G addressed both of these.
The iPhone 3G is very similar to the original iPhone except for the addition of 3G networking, with typical speeds in the 400-700 Kbps range, so about 5x as fast as EDGE, and a real GPS chip. The CPU is clocked to the same speed. It has the same 2 MP fixed focus camera. And it has a less powerful battery.
The other big improvement was iPhone OS 2.0, which for the first time supported third-party software on the iPhone using the App Store.
The 3G was also the first iPhone available in white.
The iPhone 3GS replaced the 3G as Apple’s top-end model in June 2009. The 8 GB iPhone 3G remained in the line until June 7, 2010.
- Announced: 2008.07.11 at $199 (8 GB) and $299 (16 GB) with a two-year AT&T Wireless contract, $599 and $699 respectively without contract.
- Included accessories: earbuds, USB 2.0 30-pin dock cable
- Code names: N82
- Identifier: iPhone1,2
- Model number: A1241, A1324 (China only)
- Product numbers: MB046 (8 GB), MBo48 (16 GB black), MB499 (16 GB white)
- CPU: 620 MHz Samsung ARM 1176JF(F)-S clocked at 412 MHz
- RAM: 128 MB
- Architecture: 32-bit
- Graphics engine: PowerVR MBX Lite
- Display: 3.5″ 320 x 480 pixel 18-bit multitouch screen @ 163 ppi
- Camera: 2.0 MP fixed focus
- Sensors: proximity, ambient light, accelerometer
- I/O port: 30-pin dock connector
- WiFi: 802.11b/g
- Bluetooth: 2.0+EDR
- UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
- GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- Data: GPRS (max 56-115 kbps), EDGE (max 327 kbps)
- GPS: Infineon PMB2525 assisted by EDGE, 3G, and WiFi
- Battery: 1150 mAh lithium ion
- Charge time: about 4 hours (2 hour fast charge to 80% capacity)
- Battery life:
- Talk: up to 5 hours on 3G, 10 hours on 2G
- Standby: up to 300 hours
- Internet: up to 5 hours on 3G, 6 hours on 2G
- Video: up to 7 hours
- Audio: up to 24 hours
- Original OS: iPhone OS 2.0
- Maximum OS: iPhone OS 4.2.1
- iTunes Versions: iTunes 7.7 and later.
- Mac OS Required: OS X 10.4.10 or later
- Windows Versions Supported: Vista, XP Home or Professional SP 2 or later
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions: 4.5″ x 2.4″ x 0.48″ (115.5 x 62.1 x 12.3 mm)
- Weight: 4.7 oz. (133 g)
- Best iPhone Prices, best online deals on iPhones.
- iPhone 3G Technical Specifications, Apple
- iPhone, Wikipedia
- iPhone 3G, Wikipedia
- iPhone 3G, apple-history.com
- Unleash Your Original iPhone or 3G with Whited00r, Simon Royal, Low End Mac, 2011.05.27
- Whited00r 6 Keeps 2007 and 2008 iPhones Feeling Current, Simon Royal, Low End Mac, 2012.12.14
- Whited00r 7: iOS 7 Look & Features on Older iDevices, Simon Royal, Low End Mac, 2013.12.28
Short link: http://goo.gl/KtPwug