In October 2014, Apple made the iPad Air thinner and gave it a more powerful processor, Apple’s A8X chip – the same chip found in the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. This was also the first time an iPad was available in gold.
The heart of the iPad Air 2 is Apple’s first triple-core CPU, the first iPad chip to run at 1.5 GHz, and the first with 2 GB of system memory, all of which combine to make this about 75% more powerful than the original iPad Air.
The iPad Air 2 gained an 8 MP iSight camera with 10 FPS bust mode and 120 FPS for slow motion video. The FaceTime HD camera has a new lens that allows more light to reach its sensor.
Like the iPhone, the iPad Air 2 gained a fingerprint identity sensor built into the Home button.
There is no 32 GB iPad Air 2. Instead, it jumps from 16 GB to 64 GB with a $100 difference in price, half the previous difference.
- Announced: 2014.10.16 at $499 (16 GB), $599 (64 GB), and $699 (128 GB). $130 additional for cellular version.
- Included accessories: USB 2.0 Lightning connector, 10W 2A power adapter
- Code name: J81
- WiFi only: iPad5,3
- Cellular: iPad5,4
- Model numbers:
- WiFi only: A1566
- Cellular: A1567
- Product numbers:
- WiFi only: MGL12 (16 GB gray), MGLW2 (16 GB silver), MH0W2 (16 GB gold), MGL2 (64 GB gray), MGKM2 (64 GB silver), MH182 (64 GB gold), MGTX2 (128 GB gray), MGTY2 (128 GB silver), MG1J2 9128 GB gold)
- Cellular version: MH2U2 (16 GB gray), MH2V2 (16 GB silver), MH2W2 (16 GB gold), MH2M2 (64 GB gray), MH2N2 (64 GB silver), MH2P2 (64 GB gold), MH312 (128 GB gray), MH322 (128 GB silver), MH332 9128 GB gold)
- CPU: 1.5 GHz 64-bit triple-core Apple A8X
- RAM: 2 GB
- Architecture: 64-bit
- Audio chip: Cirrus Logic CS4398
- Graphics engine: quad-core PowerVR GXA6850
- Display: 9.7″ 2048 x 1536 pixel multitouch screen
- rear: 8 MP
- front: 1.2 MP 720p FaceTime HD
- Sensors: accelerometer, ambient light, compass, 3-axis gyroscope, barometer, iBeacon microlocation, fingerprint identity scanner in Home button
- Geekbench, single core: 1808
- Geekbench, multicore: 4527
- I/O port: Lightning connector
- WiFi: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
- Bluetooth: 4.0
- Wireless data: UTMS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), CDMA EV-DO Rev. A/B (800, 1900 MHz), LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 38, 39, 40, and 41)
- GPS: WiFi-assisted GPS
- Battery: 27.3 Watt-hour lithium polymer
- Battery life: up to 10 hours on WiFi, 9 hours using cellular data
- Original OS: iOS 8.1
- Maximum OS: current
- iTunes Versions: iTunes 12 and later
- Mac OS Required: OS X 10.6.8 or later
- Windows Versions Supported: 7, Vista, XP Home or Professional SP 3 or later
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions: 9.4″ x 6.6″ x 0.24″
- Weight: 0.96 lb. (0.98 lb. for cellular versions)
- Best iPad Prices, best online deals on iPads.
- iPad, Wikipedia
- iPad Air 2, Wikipedia
- iPad Air 2, apple-history.com
Short link: http://goo.gl/UN6joP