On October 22, 2013, Apple introduced the first 64-bit iPads, including a thinner, lighter version of the 9.7″ model. The iPad Air runs a 1.3 GHz 64-bit Apple A7 processor nearly twice as powerful as the A6X used in the 4G iPad.
Taking a lesson from the iPad mini, the iPad Air has narrower borders on the long dimension and is just 0.29″ thin, helping it drop over 30% of its predecessor’s weight.
Apple improved the FaceTime camera for a clearer image and it now supports 720p HD video as well as face detection and backside illumination. The rear camera received an f/2.4 lens, a 5 MP CCD, and a hybrid IR filter along with the iSight name and all the features of the FaceTime camera.
And for those who still find a 1 lb. tablet to big and heavy, the 2G iPad mini has almost identical hardware in a smaller package.
The original iPad Air is the oldest iPad to support iOS 10.3.
- Announced: 2013.10.22 at $499 (16 GB), $599 (32 GB), $699 (64 GB), and $799 (128 GB). $130 additional for cellular version.
- Included accessories: USB 2.0 Lightning connector, 10W 2A power adapter
- Code name: J71
- WiFi only: iPad4,1
- Cellular: iPad4,2
- Model numbers:
- WiFi only: A1474
- Cellular: A1475
- Product numbers:
- WiFi only: MD785 (16 GB gray), MD788 (16 GB silver), MD786 (32 GB gray), MD789 (32 GB silver), MD787 (64 GB gray), MD790 (64 GB silver), ME898 (128 GB gray), ME906 (128 GB silver)
- Cellular version:
- CPU: 1.4 GHz 64-bit dual-core Apple A7
- RAM: 1 GB
- Architecture: 64-bit
- Audio chip: Cirrus Logic CS4398
- Graphics engine: quad-core PowerVR G6430
- Display: 9.7″ 2048 x 1536 pixel multitouch screen
- rear: 5 MP 1080p
- front: 1.2 MP 720p FaceTime HD
- Sensors: accelerometer, ambient light, compass, 3-axis gyroscope
- Geekbench, single core: 1467
- Geekbench, multicore: 2653
- I/O port: Lightning connector
- WiFi: 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
- Bluetooth: 4.0
- Wireless data: UTMS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), CDMA EV-DO Rev. A/B (800, 1900 MHz), LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, and 26)
- GPS: WiFi-assisted GPS
- Battery: 32.4 Watt-hour lithium polymer
- Battery life: up to 10 hours
- Original OS: iOS 7.0.3
- Maximum OS: current
- iTunes Versions: iTunes 10.6 and later.
- Mac OS Required: OS X 10.6.8 or later
- Windows Versions Supported: 7, Vista, XP Home or Professional SP 2 or later
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions: 9.4″ x 6.6″ x 0.29″
- Weight: 1.0 lb. (1.46 lb. for cellular versions)
- Best iPad Prices, best online deals on iPads.
- iPad, Wikipedia
- iPad Air, Wikipedia
- iPad Air, apple-history.com
Short link: http://goo.gl/NEVuWQ