This index covers the entire Macs II series, from the 68020-based Mac II of 1987 through the last 68030-based Mac II models. Models are listed by MacBench score, which approximates real world performance. Speedometer score is CPU rating relative to Classic (1.0 on Speedometer 3) and Quadra 605 (1.0 on Speedometer 4).
|model||MacBench (v. SE)||Speedometer 3/4||MIPS|
|IIci||3.5, 4.3 w/cache||7.0/||6.3|
- Got a Mac II or other vintage Mac? Join our Vintage Macs Group or Vintage Macs Forum.
- Macintosh II Family Technical Overview, darknerd, Angelfire. Some excellent, rarely discussed technical details on the whole Mac II lineup.
- NuBus Video Cards, Chris Lawson. We’ve added profiles for many Apple, Radius, and SuperMac video cards.
- Vintage Macs provide a less distracting writing environment, Brian Richards, Advantage Mac, 2007.09.18. A Mac OS X user finds an old Macintosh IIsi and discovers the joy of writing undisturbed by music, messaging, and streaming content.
- Benchmark: Mac OS 8.1 on the “wicked fast” Mac IIfx, 8/31. Not only does it work, but performance is excellent.
- Benchmarks: Mac OS 8.1 on a IIci, 8/30. Does Mac OS 8.1 on an ‘040 accelerated IIci make sense?
- Games for ‘030s, Brian Rumsey, Low End Mac Gaming, 5/26. A look at games that run nicely on the old 68030-based Macs.
- System 6 for the Macintosh, Ruud Dingemans. If you have an older, slower, memory-limited Mac, System 6 is fast, stable, and still very usable.
- Pseud040 lets 68020- and 68030-based Macs run 68040 programs – I’ve even heard of Mac OS 8.1 running on a IIsi!
- Unix? You can run NetBSD (aka MacBSD), a version of Unix, on every Mac II except the IIfx.
- The Once and Future Mac286 Page on the Web, John Rushmeyer. All about the AST Mac286 card.
- RAM Charger from Jump Development ($40) lets you get the most out of your RAM – especially helpful on Macs with 8 MB or less. By launching applications using the minimum amount of memory they need, RAM Charger lets you run more programs. It also works well with RAM Doubler. You can even download a demo.
- Apple discontinued support and parts orders for most of these models 1998.08.31. You may be able to find dealers with parts inventory either locally or on our parts and service list.
Be sure to see the list of dealers who buy, sell, or broker used and/or refurbished Macintosh hardware.