With its 5.5″ display, the iPhone 6 Plus was very competitive with the largest Android smartphones and phablets, which had helped Android cut into into iPhone sales.
The iPhone 6 Plus is even bigger and heavier than the iPhone 6, and it was the first iPhone to provide a full 1920 x 1080 resolution display – the same as HD TV. The screen is curved at its edges, and its back is made of aluminum. Finishes include gold, silver, and space gray.
The larger size provides room for a really high capacity battery, and Apple specs claim about twice as much time for phone calls, online access, listening to music, streaming video, or whatever else you may do. Apple moved the power button from the top of the iPhone to the side, claiming it improved accessibility.
The iPhone 6 family runs Apple’s A8 processor, which Apple claims is 25% more powerful than the 64-bit A7 found in the iPhone 5S. Even with its higher resolution screen, the iPhone 6 Plus benchmarks almost identically to the 6. One new feature is a built-in barometer.
For connectivity, the iPhone 6 Plus supports even more bands of LTE than previous models, and it can connect to 802.11ac networks for the fastest WiFi in an iPhone to date. Compared to the five base versions of the iPhone 5S, Apple simplified things by reducing their number to three: GSM, CDMA, and a third version that supports TD-SCDMA and TD-LTE for the China market.
A new iPhone feature introduced with the 6 and 6 Plus is near-field communication, which is used with Apple Pay – the breakout feature of the 2014 models.
The camera on the back, still a more than adequate 8 MP, is improved once again with larger pixels and a brighter lens for improved low light images. 1080p video can be filmed at 30 or 6o frames per second (fps). The iPhone 6 Plus is the first iPhone to use optical image stabilization.
There is no 32 GB model Instead, it jumps from the entry-level 16 GB model to 64 GB for an additional $100 in price. It is also the first iPhone with a 128 GB option. It shipped with iOS 8, and it remains compatible with Macs running OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard as well as newer versions of OS X.
Apple took pre-orders for 4 million iPhone 6 and 6S model during the first 24 hours they were available for order, and sold over 10 million in the first three days the models were available for purchase. Both were iPhone sales records.
The minimally larger iPhone 6S Plus replaced the 6 Plus at the top of the iPhone line in September 2015, at which time the 128 GB 6 Plus was phased out.
- Announced: 2014.09.09 and available 2014.09.19 at $299 (16 GB), $399 (64 GB), and $499 (128 GB) with a two-year wireless contract. ($749, $849, and $949 respectively without contract.)
- Included accessories: earbuds, lightning cable
- Code names: N56
- Identifier: iPhone7,1
- Model number: A1522 (GSM), A1522 (CDMA), A1524
- Product numbers
- CPU: 1.4 GHz 64-bit dual-core Apple A8
- RAM: 1 GB
- Architecture: 64-bit
- Graphics engine: 3-core PowerVR SX6450
- Display: 5.5″ 1080 x 1920 pixel 24-bit multitouch screen at 401 ppi
- rear: 8.0 MP autofocus with LED flash, 1080p video
- front: 1.2 MP FaceTime camera
- Sensors: proximity, ambient light, 3-axis gyroscope, accelerometer, assisted GPS, compass, Nike+iPod
- Geekbench, single core: 1608
- Geekbench, multicore: 2890
- I/O port: Lightning
- WiFi: 802.11b/g/n/ac
- Bluetooth: 4.0
- A1549 GSM: UMTS/HSDPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29)
- A1549 CDMA: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz), UMTS/HSDPA+/CD-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29)
- A1586: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz), UMTS/HSDPA+/CD-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz), TD-SCDMA 1900(F) and 2000(A), GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29), TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)
- GPS: Infineon PMB2525 assisted by EDGE, 3G, and WiFi
- Battery: 2915 mAh lithium ion
- Charge time:
- Battery life:
- Talk: up to 24 hours on 3G
- Standby: up to 384 hours
- Internet: up to 12 hours on 3G, LTE, or WiFi
- Video: up to 14 hours
- Audio: up to 80 hours
- Original OS: iOS 8
- Maximum OS: current
- iTunes Versions: iTunes 11.4 and later.
- Mac OS Required: OS X 10.6.8 or later
- Windows Versions Supported: 7, Vista, XP Home or Professional SP3 or later
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions: 6.22″ x 3.06″ x 0.28″ (156.1 x 77.8 x 7.1 mm)
- Weight: 6.07 oz. (172 g)
- Best iPhone Prices, best online deals on iPhones.
- iPhone, Wikipedia
- iPhone 6 Plus, Wikipedia
- iPhone 6 Plus, apple-history.com
Short link: http://goo.gl/HZE6Ey