Slightly bigger than the iPhone 6 Plus, the iPhone 6S Plus is the largest iPhone to date. It also weighs 0.7 oz. more than the 6S Plus.
The screen is now pressure sensitive like Apple Watch (Apple calls this 3D Touch).
The 2015 iPhones are made of 7000 Series Aluminum, the same material used for the Apple Watch and a step ahead of the iPhone 6.
Apple has upgraded front and rear cameras. The iSight camera jumps from 8 MP (megapixels) to 12 MP, and it can record 4k video at 30 fps. Apple is adding a new feature, Live Photos, that will show a few seconds surrounding the photo itself. It can even take 12 MP stills while you are filming 4k video!
The front FaceTime HD camera is now 5 MP, a huge step forward from 1.2 MP, and it can also shoot 720p video. Instead of using the True Tone flash available to the iSight camera, the iPhone 6S uses the entire display as a flash when using the FaceTime camera.
Apple claims the CPU in the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus is up to 70% more powerful than the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus – and the graphics 90% faster. Although Apple has not yet released specs, based on iOS Geekbench reports, the A9 appears to be a dual-core CPU running at 1.85 GHz with 2 GB of system memory – twice the memory of the iPhone 6. That’s a 32% faster CPU.
Apple is also using a much faster memory storage system, more akin to what you’d find in a laptop than in a mobile device, and this at least doubles the speed of accessing files on the iPhone’s SSD. Between all of these improvements, the iPhone 6S Plus scores 53% higher on single-core Geekbench 3 than the iPhone 6 Plus and 36% better than the previous iOS champion, the iPad Air 2.
With its triple-core design, the 1.5 GHz iPad Air 2 still takes the multi-core prize, but only with a 4.7% advantage over the dual-core iPhone 6S Plus. This provides a bit of a preview of what we’ll see with the iPad Pro with its A9X processor in November.
For those keeping score, the only current Android device with a higher multi-core Geekbench score is the 8-core 1.5 GHz Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. In single-core tests, nothing can hold a candle to the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus, the nearest competitor being the 2.5 GHz dual-core HTC Nexus 9 – which the A9 beats by over 30%.
This is the first iPhone to use Bluetooth 4.2.
The iPhone 6S supports even more bands of LTE than previous models, and it can connect to 802.11ac networks for the fastest WiFi in an iPhone to date.
As with the iPhone 6 Plus, there is no 32 GB model. Instead, it jumps from the entry-level 16 GB model to 64 GB for an additional $100 in price. It is also has a 128 GB option.
- Announced: 2015.09.09, preorder 2015.09.12, purchase 2015.09.25 at $299 (16 GB), $399 (64 GB), and $499 (128 GB) with a two-year wireless contract. ($749, $849, and $949 respectively without contract.)
- Included accessories: earbuds, lightning cable
- Code names: n66ap, n66map
- Identifier: iPhone8,2
- Model number: A1633/A1634, A1688/1687
- Product numbers
- CPU: 1.6 GHz 64-bit triple-core Apple A9 (assumed)
- RAM: 2 GB (assumed)
- Architecture: 64-bit
- Graphics engine: 3-core PowerVR SX6450
- Display: 5.5″ 1080 x 1920 pixel 24-bit multitouch screen at 401 ppi
- rear: 12.0 MP autofocus with True Tone LED flash, 4k video
- front: 5.0 MP FaceTime HD camera includes 720p video
- Sensors: proximity, ambient light, 3-axis gyroscope, accelerometer, assisted GPS, compass, Nike+iPod
- Geekbench, single core: 2468
- Geekbench, multicore: 4321
- I/O port: Lightning
- WiFi: 802.11b/g/n/ac
- Bluetooth: 4.2
- A1633/1634 GSM: UMTS/HSDPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30), TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41), TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
- A1688/1687 CDMA: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz), UMTS/HSDPA+/CD-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29), TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41), TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
- Battery: 2915 mAh lithium ion
- Charge time:
- Battery life:
- Talk: up to 24 hours on 3G
- Standby: up to 384 hours
- Internet: up to 12 hours on 3G, LTE, or WiFi
- Video: up to 14 hours
- Audio: up to 80 hours
- Original OS: iOS 9
- Maximum OS: current
- iTunes Versions: iTunes 12.3 and later.
- Mac OS Required: OS X 10.7.5 or later
- Windows Versions Supported: Windows 7 or later
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions: 6.23″ x 3.07″ x 0.29″ (158.2 x 77.9 x 7.3 mm)
- Weight: 6.77 oz. (192 g)
- Best iPhone Prices, best online deals on iPhones.
- iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Technical Specifications, Apple
- iPhone, Wikipedia
- iPhone 6S, Wikipedia
- iPhone 6S Plus (page does not yet exist), apple-history.com
Short link: http://goo.gl/vGhkvl