Contract Free iPhones, Opera Mini Submitted, Kindle for iPhone and iPad, and More
This Week's iPad, iPhone, iPod, and Apple TV News
So we can post our three news roundups (Mac News Review, The 'Book Review, and iOS News Review) earlier, we first do a quick proofread and link check, leaving out images. We add images later when time permits. dk
All prices are in US dollars unless otherwise noted.
News, Reviews, & Opinion
- Apple Selling Contract-free iPhones in US
- Opera Mini Submitted to App Store
- First Impressions: Opera Mini on the iPhone
- iPhone a Must-have Device for Doctors
- 10 Ways the Nexus One Slays the iPhone
- 5 Reasons Why Tablets Suck and You Won't Buy One
- iPad in Schools? Content Controls, DRM, and Pricing Mean No
- iPhone Making Big Dent in Mobile Gaming Market
- Electronics Whiz Controls '69 Pontiac GTO with iPod touch
- Palm OS: There's an App for That, but Not in the App Store
- Army, Apple Meet to Discuss Handheld Solutions for Soldiers
- Canada's Rogers Unveils Smartphone Tethering Policy
Apps & Services
- Kindle Coming to the iPad
- Instapaper for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
- Yahoo! Launches Yahoo! Sketch-a-Search and Yahoo! Search iPhone Apps
- Electric Pocket's BugMe! Brings Sticky Notes to the iPhone
- StyleTap for iPhone Runs Palm OS Apps
- Follow the Formula 1 Grand Prix Season with Your iPhone
- PureAudio Live Recorder Includes Noise Canceling
- Children's Bible 1.2 for iPhone and iPod touch
- Zosh Lets You Fill In and Sign Forms
- iPaperPad Available in the US Now
- Mophie Juice Pack Air for iPhone 3G & 3GS
- AirStashWireless Flash Drive for iPad and Other WiFi Devices
- 3 New iPad Accessories from Kensington
- iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter
- Stone-grain Leather Case for iPhone 3G/3GS
- Colorful Aluminum Lined Leather Cases for iPhone 3GS and 5G iPod nano
- Skydda Design TradCase and TradDuo for the iPhone
- iPad Hybrid Tough Cases - Go Hybrid and Get Strong
- Uniea Releases New Line of iPad Cases
These price trackers are updated every month.
- Best iPad deals
- Best classic iPod deals
- Best iPod touch deals
- Best iPod nano deals
- Best iPod shuffle deals
- Best iPhone deals
News, Reviews, & Opinion
AppleInsider Staff report:
"Like it did in March of last year, Apple this week at its retail stores began selling the iPhone at an unsubsidized price without the standard two-year AT&T contract agreement. Also as before, the phone, which costs as much as $700, remains locked to the exclusive US wireless provider."
PR: Opera Mini for iPhone was officially submitted to the Apple iPhone App store Tuesday. A select few first saw it at Mobile World Congress 2010 in February. Now, the "fast like a rocket" browser is taking its first big step towards giving users a new way to browse on the iPhone.
Early reviews of Opera Mini for iPhone praised the sheer browsing speed, powering through Web pages up to six times faster than Safari. Due to server-side rendering, Opera Mini compresses data by up to 90% before sending it to the phone, resulting in rapid page loading and more Web per MB for the end user. Those familiar with iPhone roaming charges will relish Opera Mini's ability to deliver more for less, giving users the Web they want quickly, without the high costs.
"The Opera Mini for iPhone sneak peek during MWC told us that we have something special," said Jon von Tetzchner, Cofounder, Opera Software. "Opera has put every effort into creating a customized, stylized, feature-rich and highly responsive browser that masterfully combines iPhone capabilities with Opera's renowned Web experience, and the result is a high performing browser for the iPhone."
Opera Mini is the world's most popular mobile Web browser, famed for bringing the Web to nearly any mobile phone. Its speed, usability and navigation-friendly design have catapulted this browser onto more than 50 million mobile phones worldwide. Creating a version for iPhone is part of Opera's mission to bring the Web to all platforms and all devices.
Technologizer's Harry McCracken says:
"...I finally got a little hands-on time with Opera Mini for the iPhone, which Opera started showing off last month at the Mobile World Congress Show in Barcelona. The Norwegian browser company told me that it's still putting the finishing touches on it and plans to submit it to the iPhone App Store real soon now....
"In my extremely informal experiments here at SXSW, Mini didn't feel particularly zippy . . . But it may not have been a real-world test of how it'll perform when Apple approves it (please!)....
"Whatever its performance turns out to be like, Opera Mini has some features that might lead some folks to opt for it over Safari, at least on a part-time basis...."
Maclean's Katie Engelhart reports:
"The smartphone - and in particular, the iPhone - has left the realm of electronic plaything, and become an almost required medical tool. According to Manhattan Research, a health care consulting firm, the percentage of US physicians using smartphones stands around 64 per cent and is projected to hit 81 per cent by 2012. In Canada, the trend is the same....
"Today, doctors . . . can download applications at the iTunes store that can transform their iPhones into drug-dose calculators, fetal monitors, or remote receivers for patient records...."
ZDNet blogger Jason D. O'Grady says:
"I've being using Google's Android OS a lot lately. I've been using Android as my primary phone OS for around a year while writing three Pocket Guides for Peachpit Press (Nexus One, Droid, G1) and I've concluded that the Nexus One is a better smartphone than the iPhone - hands down. Why? Because Android is a better mobile OS.
"...I'm going to list 10 specific Android features that Apple needs to implement, or improve upon in iPhone OS 4.0 if it expects to make up any of the ground it lost to Android in the past 12 months:
- Google Voice
- Google Maps Navigation
- Voice Text
- Status Bar/Notifications
- Widgets/Better home screen
- Background apps/multi-tasking
- Combined email inbox
- OTA software updates and syncing
- Unlimited apps
- Amazing, free apps
Tom's Hardware's Tuan Nguyen says:
"Let's admit it: tablets suck. They've been around for at least a decade and many are faster and offer more capabilities than Apple's iPad. But why haven't you bought one yet?"
"Poor usability has always been an issue since the dawn of tablets. Consumer interest was only recently resurrected when rumors began about Apple releasing a tablet device, which ended up becoming true. Most gruesomely, the iPad received not only praise - mainly by Apple loyalists - but also a ton of flack from PC users. Then again, it's not a perfect device in its own class and some Apple fans criticized it, too.
"But hold the horses. The industry went from "who gives a hoot" about tablets to "wow, the iPad sucks" in a mere two months?"
- Tablets Are Niche Devices....
- Full OSes Were Always There, Yet Those Who Complained That The iPad Doesn't Have One Still Never Bought One....
- High-End Hardware Specs Sometimes Don't Matter....
- Interface, Interface, Interface....
- Lack Of Tablet Apps....
ZDNet education blogger Christopher Dawson says:
"The iPad is coming, the iPad is coming! And while it might be coming to some schools (or at least some student backpacks) near you, it won't be coming to my schools or my kids' backpacks. Just because it's really the only device of its kind for now, we don't need to hop on the bandwagon just yet. Will the iPad and Apple's content partners drive some important innovation in electronic, interactive educational content? Yes, I think they probably will. However, I have too many concerns about iPad for it to be on my radar any time soon."
Macworld's Marco Tabini reports:
"According to mobile analytics firm Flurry, iPhone OS devices have rapidly risen to prominence as a gaming platform, acquiring significant market share at the expense of the industry's existing firms.
"Flurry published a research study on its blog which says that mobile gaming has grown from 20 percent of the overall US gaming market to 24 percent in the last year. More importantly, the growth has apparently been fueled entirely by the iPod touch and iPhone...."
jalopnik.com's Ben reports:
"Dave Phipps has been building remote control systems for his 1969 Pontiac GTO for years. His masterpiece? Using a system called RedEye to remotely control the car's ignition, radio, doors and more with an iPod touch.
"There's isn't a single scrap of original wiring in this GTO. After he purchased the car, Phipps stripped it down to the frame and completely rewired it . . . he created a control system using a 2.4 GHz cell phone which used the speed-dial to create timed events like putting up the top and rolling up the windows. The next upgrade was voice control, using a Bluetooth unit tied to a cell phone to create complete voice control over the car. All of that still works, but his latest and coolest upgrade yet uses an iPod touch...."
The Register's Bill Ray reports:
"Palm OS obsessives StyleTap have created an iPhone emulator, but you'll have to give Cydia $50 and jailbreak your handset to run it.
"The legions of iPhone users desperate to run their Palm OS apps can finally relax, because StyleTap can now deliver all that Palm OS goodness to an iPhone. Users might even be able to run that NS Basic application originally developed for Apple's Newton....
"But the presence of StyleTap on the Cydia store also lends credibility to that alternative market for iPhone applications. Users generally jailbreak their iPhones to run a specific application - one they can't get from the iTunes store - but once they've stepped outside of Apple's control there's little to entice them back again...."
The US Army's Edric Thompson, CERDEC Public Affairs, says:
"Leaders from the Army's technology command visited Apple, Inc. here to discuss the use of Apple products in Army business and battlefield operations.
"Maj. Gen. Nick Justice, Research, Development and Engineering Command commanding general and key members of his staff traveled to Apple headquarters March 5.
"Apple officials gave the Army group tours of its laboratories and other facilities and talked about some examples of where the military is already using Apple technology. The Army's research and development command is evaluating commercial handheld solutions such as iPad, iPhone, iPod, iMac, and MacBook platforms.
"'The Army is moving away from big-green-box solutions and toward those that will adapt along with our warfighters on the battlefield,' Justice said.
"Justice said the Army recognized the billions of dollars invested by industry to develop its devices.
"'We're continuing to leverage commercial technology for battlefield uses; we can't ignore that kind of existing knowledge,' he said. 'Our job, as stewards of the taxpayer's dollar, is to adopt and adapt appropriate commercial technology and offer the best possible solution to the warfighter.'
"The meeting was part of the Army's efforts to support 'Connecting Soldiers to Digital Applications,' an initiative to demonstrate the technical capabilities of handheld devices and applications to the Army and gathering warfighter. The working group is tasked with looking at how commercial cellular technology - including devices, applications and networks - could be utilized in a tactical environment.
"The RDECOM communication and electronics center advises on applications and new equipment training and support application delivery to pilot programs in its role as the lead for CSDA applications development.
"Within RDECOM, the Communications-Electronics Research and Development Center has developed numerous handheld command and control solutions and is supporting the development and transition of two iPhone applications: COIN Collector, a counterinsurgency information collection tool, and MilSpace, a combined planning and social networking environment.
"The Army's official science and technology blog, Army Technology Live, released a public iPhone application last month. The app puts Army technology news, updates and media, such as images and video, in one location. The Army Technology Live iPhone application is available as a free download from the Apple iTunes Store.
"'Apple technologies offer unique and proven solutions with intuitive designs that allow users to learn quickly without a training manual,' said Ron Szymanski, CERDEC's lead computer scientist on the project. 'The Army would like to leverage Apple's experience when designing military applications.'
"Engaging companies such as Apple allows the Army research and development community to leverage commercial business models as well, said Dr. Gerardo J. Melendez, director, CERDEC Command and Control Directorate.
"'As we push to develop more commercial capabilities to meet Army information and knowledge management needs, it's important that we engage companies such as Apple because we stand to benefit just as much from their lessons learned and best practices,' Melendez said. 'Eliminating unnecessary processes or degrees of trial and error can only help us as we transition applications that can be deployed to numerous tactical levels throughout the Army.'
"The meeting ended with plans for future technical discussions between the organizations."
Rogers blogger Rob Manne says:
"You can be passionate about our products, services and policies. And you've let us know loud and clear that you're passionate about tethering.
"We've listened and have some news to share.
"Effective immediately, tethering will continue to be included at no additional charge for Rogers and Fido customers who subscribe to data plans of 1 GB and above (excluding those listed below). This effectively makes our current promotion (which was set to expire on May 3) our ongoing policy.
"Since we announced the tethering promotion last summer, many of you have told us that tethering is an important service. We've heard that you want the freedom to choose how you use your data buckets - directly on your device or tethered to a computer.
"We want to help you get the most out of innovative new technologies like tethering. And we'll continue to examine our customer needs and evolve to stay ahead of the curve....
"Tethering allows you to connect a computer to the Internet by using a smartphone like a BlackBerry or iPhone. Computers typically use a lot more data when connected to the Internet than smartphones do, so make sure you're set up with a data plan of 1 GB or above....
"Tethering cannot be used with data plans of less than 1 GB. Also, it cannot be used with the new 1 GB+ One Rate Roaming plans (except Rocket stick plans), Family Shared Data & Voice Plans and Smartphone & Rocket stick shared data plans.
"Rogers tethering policy and FAQ can be found at rogers.com/tethering. Fido.ca will be updated with the new information in the next few days.
"So tell us - do you tether with your mobile device? Why do you find tethering useful?"
Apps & Services
PR: Tablet Computers, including the iPad, are coming, and with Amazon.com's free Kindle App you'll be able to read more than 450,000 Kindle books, featuring Whispersync technology that automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across your Kindle and Kindle-compatible devices including PC , Mac, iPhone and Blackberry.
Experience the Beautiful User Interface
- Get the best reading experience available on your tablet computer including the iPad. No Kindle required
- Tailored to the size, look, and feel of your tablet computer
- Customize background color and font size to ease eye strain
- Adjust screen brightness from within the app to make reading easier
- Page turn animation replicates the look of turning a page in a book. Or choose Basic Reading Mode for a simpler and unadorned reading experience
- Read Kindle Books on Your Tablet Computer Including the iPad
- Amazon's Whispersync technology automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks, notes and highlights with Kindle and Kindle-compatible devices PC, Mac, iPhone, and BlackBerry
- Customers can start reading on one device and, on another, pick up where they left off.
- Already have a Kindle? Access your Kindle books even if you don't have your Kindle with you.
- Create bookmarks, notes, and highlights, and view the annotations you created on your Kindle
Shop for Books in the Kindle Store
- Search and browse more than 450,000 Kindle books, including 101 of 112 New York Times Best Sellers. If you are a non-US customer, book availability may vary.
- Get free book samples - read the first chapter for free before you decide to buy.
- Books you purchase can also be read on a Kindle and Kindle-compatible devices.
PR: A simple tool to save web pages for reading later. Read saved web pages on the go, even offline, with Instapaper.
Simply install the Instapaper app and download your unread articles when you have WiFi, EDGE, or 3G coverage, then you can read them anytime: on the train, on the bus, on line at the bank, or in space (you never know).
Like the Instapaper web interface's Text option, the app downloads a text-only version of each page, using ideal formatting for maximum readability in either orientation on the iPhone and iPod touch.
This also removes the need to zoom or horizontally pan like you so frequently need to do in Mobile Safari. And no more accidental side-scrolling when reading a long text column.
Instapaper is coming to iPad very soon. Possibly even on day one. Instapaper Pro will be a universal iPhone/iPad application. That means that you only have to buy Instapaper Pro once to have it on both devices, and the iPad edition will be available to all Pro purchasers at no additional charge when it's released.
Free or Pro?
Try Instapaper Free first if you'd like a taste of offline page reading, then buy $5 Instapaper Pro for versatility, convenience, and the full feature set.
PR: Yahoo! Inc. has launched two new innovative applications for Apple iPhone and iPod touch - Yahoo! Sketch-a-Search and Yahoo! Search - providing consumers with fun, entertaining, and engaging search experiences that deliver powerful information in a fast, locally aware, and elegant manner.
Yahoo! revolutionized mobile search in 2007 with the launch of Yahoo! oneSearch, which delivered answers, not just Web links. This consumer experience signified a tipping point in the industry as Yahoo! fundamentally changed the way consumers used search on their mobile phones. The industry took note - Yahoo! has partnered with more than 80 leading carriers and original equipment manufacturers around the world to deliver an industry-leading mobile search experience to millions of users, and competitors subsequently modified their products to remain competitive. Yahoo! continues to innovate and invest in mobile and search by redefining how consumers access the information that's important to them.
"Yahoo! is defining the next era of the Internet, search, and mobile, by demonstrating what's possible when you leverage innovative design and technical prowess to engage people with personally relevant experiences," said David Ko, senior vice president of Yahoo!'s Audience, Mobile, and Local businesses. "We're growing our mobile audience globally by providing people with search experiences that have simple input and discovery methods, and advertisers with a highly engaged mobile audience."
Yahoo! Sketch-a-Search iPhone App
Yahoo! Sketch-a-Search makes search even easier, without typing keywords or thinking about search terms. You simply draw a boundary on your phone's map to discover local businesses within that location. Yahoo! Sketch-a-Search delivers robust local content without people needing to know the neighborhood. Initially available for restaurant searches in the US, Yahoo! Sketch-a-Search will launch additional local categories on an ongoing basis and extend to international markets in the near future.
Key features include:
- Sketch and Discover: Use a finger to draw a circle, line, or any shape to get a bird's eye view of what's nearby in a specific area or on a specific street.
- Location Awareness: Defaults to a person's current location, remembers previous locations, and allows people to search for a specific city or an area of interest.
- Robust Local Content: Filter restaurant results by cuisine, ambiance, and star rating. Click on restaurants to read reviews, browse photos, get directions, or make a phone call - all directly within the app.
- Shake to Clear: Shake the device or click on the Sketch icon to start a new Sketch-a-Search.
Yahoo! Search iPhone App
Maximized for speed, the Yahoo! Search iPhone app revolves around an innovative interface that delivers contextually relevant results quickly and efficiently. A bevy of features - tightly embedded maps, localized query suggestions that display as you type, intelligent search history, voice search, and rich content and information from Yahoo! and other sources that appear directly in the results - creates an optimal experience for finding exactly what you need. The Yahoo! Search iPhone app is available in 22 markets across North America, Latin America, Europe, and Asia, and will continue to roll out to additional locations.
Key features include:
- Fast Results: Get results, detailed summaries at a glance, and instant, local suggestions that display as you type with Yahoo! Search Assist.
- Local Shortcuts: Refine results based on your location with embedded maps and location-aware technology. Then call a business or get directions with a single click, all without leaving the results. (Currently available only in the US.)
- Rich Local Content: View photos, ratings, phone numbers, and more from Yahoo! Local, Yelp, and Citysearch.
- Rich Results: Get the answers you're looking for - not a list of meaningless links - with search results that are infused with specific, helpful information from Yahoo! Sports, Yahoo! News, Yahoo! Finance, Yahoo! Movies, and other providers.
- Integrated Voice Search: Don't type - just speak your query, making input easy and fast.
- Intelligent Search History: Get quick access to recent searches and local businesses.
- Shake to Clear: Shake the device to start a new query.
Both apps are available from the iTunes Store.
PR: Electric Pocket Limited is introducing BugMe!, the popular note-taker and reminder application, to iPhone users. For well over a decade, PDA and smartphone users have been using BugMe! to create notes and set reminder alarms to keep them on-task and on-time. "BugMe! for iPhone brings the classic app to a new audience on the iPhone, as well as answering the pleas of longtime users who were missing a faithful friend!" said Iain Barclay, Electric Pocket's chief products officer.
BugMe! for iPhone lets users jot quick notes and doodles - with their finger as the pen - just like a digital sticky note. BugMe!'s handwritten notes can be organized for reference, or easily shared by email or Twitter. Users with iPhones can set an alarm time on each note and BugMe! will sound the alarm and show a reminder when the task is due.
The new release of BugMe! introduces a first for iPhone users - BugMe!'s "Save to Home Screen" feature lets users save a copy of any note to the iPhone's app launcher screen. These small handwritten notes can be dragged and positioned as with any application icon so important BugMe! notes and reminders can be organized and visible on the iPhone's Home Screen at all times.
The iPhone version of BugMe! enables users to start a note on a choice of colored paper styles or on photos from the user's album. With the iPhone's camera, users can quickly snap pictures and then jot notes directly on it for shopping reminders or a fun email or tweet.
- iPhone and iPod touch
- Requires iPhone OS 3.1 or later
- 3.3 MB
BugMe! 1.0 is offered at the introductory rate of only 99¢ and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Productivity category. More information can be found on the Electric Pocket website. BugMe! is also available for BlackBerry smartphones.
- Screenshot 1: http://bugme.net/iphone/iphone_screen_3.png
- Screenshot 2: http://bugme.net/iphone/iphone_screen_2.png
- Screenshot 3: http://bugme.net/iphone/iphone_screen_1.png
PR: StyleTap Platform for iPhone allows you to run many of the 30,000 mobile applications written for Palm OS on your Apple iPhone or iPod touch
- Runs most applications for the Palm OS platform on iPhone and iPod touch devices.
- Supports application programs written for the Palm OS 5.2 platform or earlier versions.
- Includes support for programs that use native ARM code (PNOs, often called "ARMlets").
- StyleTap Platform is very fast often running applications faster than on the native Palm OS devices.
- Users can cut and paste text and bitmaps between Palm OS applications and native iPhone apps, as well as being Palm OS programs.
- Audio recording and playback
- Support for a "virtual memory card" (applications using VFS), for very large application databases and files (e.g. medical apps, dictionaries, bibles, etc.) that won't fit in main memory. (Since the iPhone does not support external memory cards, StyleTap makes the iPhone multi-gigabyte flash memory appear to be a "virtual memory card" so these applications can continue to work properly.)
- Unique backwards compatibility features enable both older and newer programs to perform direct screen updates.
- Provides virtual "function buttons" to emulate the hardware buttons on Palm devices. (useful for playing many game)
- Supports TCP/IP connectivity
- Supports serial connections and Bluetooth over serial (RFCOMM) for communicating with GPS units, probes, calibration devices, etc.
- Support for the iPhone GPS. StyleTap provides iPhone Core Location information to applications as standard GPS NMEA strings through the Palm OS serial API.
- Vibration (on devices equipped with the appropriate hardware)
- Initiating phone calls (iPhone only)
- Invoking Safari browser
- Exporting vCards (i.e. address book info) into iPhone Contacts.
Install StyleTap Platform Using Cydia
StyleTap Platform uses another iPhone application called Cydia to do the initial install and subsequent upgrades.
Cydia is the de facto standard installer program for non-App Store applications, building a list of available applications and then automatically downloading and installing the applications you choose onto your device.
To install StyleTap Platform for iPhone, you simply need to follow the step-by-step instructions for telling Cydia where to find the StyleTap repository, and then using Cydia to select and install the application.
If you purchase a license, you will receive a Registration Key that will enable you to continue to use StyleTap after the 14-day trial period.
Installing Palm OS Applications
StyleTap Platform for iPhone includes Web Tools, a utility designed to accept other Palm applications and databases being transferred from your desktop computer.
Run StyleTap Platform on your device and then run the StyleTap Web Tools application. You can then install applications from your desktop PC/Macintosh/Linux machine using a web browser (Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, etc.)
See the Web Tools product page for instructions and screenshots.
StyleTap Web Tools can also be used to download application databases to a desktop machine and copy databases and files to/from the Virtual Memory Card on the device.
StyleTap Platform Specifications
- Supported OS: Apple iPhone - v3.x firmware
- Apple iPod touch - v3.x firmware
- (jailbroken devices only)
Any Web browser will work with StyleTap Web Tools
Download a free 14-day trial of StyleTap Platform for iPhone
Graham K. Rogers reports:
"I am a long-time follower of Grand Prix racing and can remember as far back as the 1950s, although it was not until the 1970s that I saw a Formula 1 race at a circuit.
"I visited several races then, but nowadays have to make do with televised transmissions along with whatever news I find online.
"Last August I added to my enjoyment when I downloaded the Formula One Timing app, developed by Soft Pauer.
"At that time it was $16.99 for about half the season and I wondered in my online report if I was really able to justify the cost.
"With the experience of several races, I could not wait to download the 2010 version of this app, which is currently $32.99 for the whole of the season...."
PR: A digital audio recording application for use with the iPhone and iPod touch with noise-canceling digital audio software that transforms iPhone and iPod touch into more intelligible mobile recording devices
Andrea Electronics Corporation, developer of innovative digital noise reduction and echo cancellation software technologies, today announced the immediate availability of its PureAudio Live Recorder.
PureAudio Live Recorder is a full function digital voice and audio recording application for use with Apple iPhone or iPod touch devices. The PureAudio Live recorder is enhanced with Andrea's patented digital noise reduction microphone technology. PureAudio digitally reduces background noise, while enhancing the recorded sound quality and intelligibility when making recordings in real-world noisy mobile environments. WAV files produced by the PureAudio Live Recorder can be wirelessly transferred to your Mac or PC and are compatible with speech to text applications such as Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred Edition.
"By utilizing our patented digital noise cancellation technology, the PureAudio Live Recorder takes mobile audio recording intelligibility to a new level for the iPhone and iPod touch," says Leonard Shoell, Sr. Software Engineer of Andrea Electronics. "Our new software product demonstrates our ability to create audio applications for the iPhone as well as our ability to port our technology to a new class of devices."
Below are some notable features of the Andrea Electronics PureAudio Live Recorder:
- Intuitive simple to use interface.
- Fast application startup, for capturing quick impulse recordings.
- Recordings can be transcribed on your Mac or PC by using speech to text applications such as Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred Edition.
- Digital noise reduction software to remove repetitive background noise from recordings.
- Microphone sensitivity boost allows for far field recordings.
- Different sampling rates to control the size and quality of the recordings.
- Three different recording formats: WAVE, CAF, AIFF.
Recording & Playback control:
- Easy navigation between recordings, using finger swipe gestures.
- Append to existing recordings.
- Unlimited recording time with device-memory read out.
- Organize, store and retrieve recordings using editable category folders.
- WiFi sync quickly transfers audio files right to your computer.
- Directly email your audio files in real time, not just as a link.
The Andrea Electronics PureAudio Live Recorder application is now available for the iPhone and iPod touch from the Apple iTunes Store. Visit the Andrea Electronics website AndreaElectronics.com for more information.
PR: BCNmultimedia announces 3 months of Success in the App Store with the release of Children's Bible 1.2 for iPhone and iPod touch. The full color Children's Bible app tells the stories of the Old and New Testament in seven different languages and is the first comic book style Bible to be made available to iPhone and iPod touch users. This edition of the Bible allows you to read one different free comic book every month.
BCNmultimedia announce 3 months of Success in the App Store with the release of Children's Bible 1.2 for iPhone and iPod touch. The full color Children's Bible app tells the stories of the Old and New Testament in seven different languages and is the first comic book style Bible to be made available to iPhone and iPod touch users.
App Name and Languages:
- English: Children's Bible
- Francais: La Bible des Enfants
- Deutsch: Die Kinderbibel
- Italiano: La Bibbia dei Bambini
- Portugues: A Bíblia das Crianças
- Espanol: La Biblia de los Niños
- Catala: La Bíblia dels Nens
This edition of the Bible allows you to read one different free comic book every month. It includes a purchase option to buy the comic albums with all the episodes. The contents cover the most important passages from the Old and the New Testament.
These are the comic albums published so far:
- Land of Nazareth: December 15th 2009
- Roads of Galilee: January 15th 2010
- Streets of Jerusalem: February 15th 2010
We have just published: New Testament: March 17th 2010 a 82 pages and 33 episodes special album that contains all the comic books on the New Testament. All the albums have been published as an in-app-purchase. Users can buy them from the free app Children's Bible and also as a Premium content in paid form in the App Store.
The app and its comic albums have been acclaimed all over the world:
- More than 60.000 downloads
- USA Top 50 since the first day
- European Top 25: France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland and Portugal
- Worldwide Top 50: Brazil, Germany, Korea, Singapore and many more
- Worldwide Top 100: Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, Australia, Brazil and many more
New comic albums on the Old Testament in preparation:
- Paradise Lost: April 15th 2010
- Deep in the Desert: May 15th 2010
- The Word of the Prophet: June 15th 2010
- Kindle Edition New Testament Comic Book: March 25th
- Amazon Paperback New Testament Comic Book: March 25th
- iPad Edition: As soon as possible!
- Cartoon movies: 2S 2010
- Bible Games: 2S 2010
- And many more contents on which you will be informed on time
- US English, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish
- iPhone and iPod touch (2nd generation)
- Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later
- 3.7 MB
Children's Bible 1.2 is free and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Books category. If you want to download the New Testament Comic Book paid content, ask us for a Promo Code. If you need more information, don't hesitate to contact us. If it is possible, please send us a link of your review.
Promotional Movie: http://www.childrenbible.org/wp/p=1370
PR: Finally, take those emailed forms, fill them in and sign them all from your iPhone. No more printing, signing and faxing. Throw out your fax machine. Turn around important emailed documents instantly using only your iPhone or iPod touch.
Zosh is an innovative new application that lets you fill in PDF documents. Insert Text, Dates and Signatures using our patent pending signature tool. Sign documents using your finger and the iPhone touchscreen. Transmit the completed documents as standard PDF files.
The long awaited upgrade to Zosh version 1.5 has been posted to the App Store.
Zosh is an innovative new application that lets you fill in PDF documents. Insert Text, Dates and Signatures using our patent pending signature tool. Sign documents using your finger and the iPhone touchscreen. Transmit the completed documents as standard PDF files.
"Zosh is the first document execution solution that doesn't require people to change the way they work," says Josh Kerr, cofounder and CEO of Zosh. "We spent countless hours refining the user interface based on feedback from over 5,000 beta customers. We're thrilled to present Zosh at DEMO and to make the product available to many more mobile businesspeople."
How it Works
Zosh is unique in the world of document execution products in that it does not require either the sender or receiver of a document to change the way they handle documents. Recipients simply forward a document into the Zosh application, add required text and signatures, and return the document. With the release of the launch version of Zosh, the company has addressed requests from its more than 5,000 beta customers.
Edit and execute forms and documents
- Supports: PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP and TIFF
- Insert text, dates and signatures
- Move, rotate, scale and resize inserted items
- Change fonts and colors
- Return documents from anywhere
- Sent as a standard PDF file with all of your changes.
- Email back to yourself with a click of a button
- Or choose from your address book people to email to
- Works with your existing email account
- Manage and maintain a secure library of frequently used documents and forms
- Turnaround important documents instantly
- Sign documents on the go
No document conversion or special upload tools required. You get immediate improvement in efficiency. Saves paper and reduces costs as you don't need to print contracts anymore
Document quality better than a fax machine.
Zosh Features and Benefits</B
- Sign documents on the go
- Fill our entire PDF forms
- Send back a standard PDF
- Sign your name with your finger
- Move items around, rotate and scale
- Zosh is a full featured iPhone application that allows you to fill out and sign documents. The application is easy to use and will instantly improve your work flow. Do you work with paper documents? Then chances are good that Zosh will make your life easier.
The value proposition on Zosh is quite simple. If you already PRINT, SIGN and FAX, you will save time, paper, toner and become more efficient. It's that simple. Even if you don't take advantage of anything of the other features in the application, you will still get those benefits. The best part of Zosh is that it doesn't require the person on the sending or receiving end to change the way that they handle their documents. This has long been an issue dividing the camps of Digital and Analog documents and their respective users.
Fill in PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, JPG, GIF, PNG, TIFF and BMP documents
Now you can fill in office documents on your iPhone. Apple didn't include a PDF editor when they built the iPhone, so we did. However, it isn't good enough to be able to fill in your documents, it has to be easy to do. So we spent a lot of time looking at how people interact with the iPhone and came up with a very intuitive method. You touch the document and hold your finger where you'd like to insert something. A popup appears that shows you what you can insert. Options include Text, Date and Signature. • Choose the item, enter the data and then it appears on the document where you had your finger. Now you have the option to rotate it, move it, resize it, or delete it. It could be easier to add content to your existing documents.
Fill in your documents
Zosh was designed to be intuitive so that anyone can use its powerful features to quickly fill out a document.
- Add your signature using our patent pending signature tool.
- Sign with your finger.
- Add text and dates using our easy to use tools.
- Change fonts and colors.
- Move items around by dragging them with your finger.
- Change the size and rotate items using your finger.
- Clear an entire document so you can start from scratch. Use the same document to create multiple filled forms.
- Changes to documents are saved automatically so that you can exit Zosh, do something else, and then return where you left off.
Insert text and dates
Use Zosh's text and date tools to insert all sorts of data into your forms. You can rotate and resize inserted text to get the exact effect you need to complete your forms. For example you can insert the words "Approved", rotate it, size it to be large and change the color to red to emulate a stamp that you might attach to a document that has been approved for use. Zosh can remember commonly used words so that inserting them again and again is easy.
Execute documents with your signature
The signature feature is the most useful part of the Zosh application. It let's you sign your documents directly on the iPhone. Using your finger, you simply sign directly on the screen. Unfortunately, your finger is a blunt input device and the iPhone screen if of limited size. What if your name is long, how will it fit? After building 10 prototypes, we finally came up with a (patent pending) idea that let's you get it all in. It's probably the biggest innovation in Zosh and it scrolls the background (optional) using a special algorithm allowing you to fit a very large signature. Using this feature is very easy and feels natural as you sign. Once a signature is created, it can be modified just like text and date items. You can rotate it, resize it, etc.
One of the key technologies is the scrolling signature background which enables a user to fit a long signature in on the smallish iPhone screen. By clicking the settings button, you can adjust the speed of the background or turn it off all together. Once a signature is inserted, you can adjust it just like any other piece of data. (Move, rotate, resize, etc.)
Email your completed documents
When you are done editing your form, you can email the completed document to your colleagues. It's that simple to fill out and send off a contract, expense report, any PDF or Word document. The final document arrives as a PDF file that is 100% compatible with existing PDF viewers. So there is no need to get your colleagues to change their workflow, simply introduce Zosh into your own to instantly get the benefits.
Since you are sending an email directly from Zosh, you have access to your regular iPhone address book. You can CC, BCC and even add people to the email that aren't in your address book. Change the subject and body of the email to fit your needs. Filling out and sending documents has never been easier.
Have documents automatically returned to you via the click of a button. Then use your desktop email client to compose an email, or simply save the final PDF attachment to your computer. Alternatively, you can choose recipients directly from Zosh and compose an email with the completed PDF as an attachment. Zosh gives you plenty of flexibility with what you can do with the completed document.
New in version The long awaited upgrade to Zosh version 1.5 has been posted to the App Store. We are waiting for the iTunes review staff to approve the upgrade and as soon as they do, it will appear automatically as a free upgrade for existing users.
When we released the first (beta) version of Zosh this past November we noticed several significant issues that prevented Zosh from being as good as we had originally anticipated. Those issues were:
- Blurry output images. A fax like quality which for a lot of people was a deal breaker.
- Application crashes when trying to open large documents.
- Document incompatibilities, especially with fonts and formatting.
- Solving some of these issues were a lot more difficult that what we originally anticipated and thus why it took so long for us to get this release out. For example, the blurry output images problem had three completely different solutions put into place. Only the last solution was good enough to push out.
- Alexander was key to solving these issues and his out of the box solutions are what actually helped us solve these problems.
So with that, here is what is new:
- New Features in 1.5
- High quality document output
- Support for large documents (we've seen 350+ page documents work just fine)
- Document download on demand. (You can start viewing a document immediately. No need to wait for it all to fully render into memory.) Pages are rendered in a manner similar to how Google Maps shows you new areas of the map as needed.
- Faster rendering and loading.
- Documents using TrueType fonts now render correctly.
- The ability to insert images into documents with some preset images like checkmarks and xes. You can also select images from your iPhone photo gallery.
- Global font settings that save between sessions.
- The Zosh server will now email you when your document is ready. If you click the link in the email it will load Zosh and go right into your document.
- In app server notifications when server is down for repair or upgrades.
- Minor UI upgrades.
- Lots of bug fixes.
Plenty of options and easy registration
You can register to use Zosh right from your phone. You will select an email address as a username (make sure to use the address that you plan to send documents to Zosh from) and a password to protect your private content. If you forget your password, you can use the "Forget Password" option to have Zosh email you your password.
There are plenty of options to change how Zosh works. If you don't like the scrolling background, you can change the speed, or disable it all together. Want a different font, there is an option to change not only the font family, but the font color too. You can disable Zosh's auto-login feature for more security and disable the helpful hints that prompt you as you use the program
Zosh is available immediately in Apple's iTunes Application Store for $2.99 per user.
PR: Netmeme has announced that its iPaperPad, which isn't magical or revolutionary, is available for purchase on Amazon.
"iPaperPad is not new, it's a paper pad." Said Netmeme CEO Peter. "It's not that exciting, but it delivers much more bang for your buck than an iPad if all you want to do is impress people in coffee shops or at the workplace."
Starting at just $4.99 for a 25 page paper pad vs. the $499.00 starting price for an iPad, the iPaperPad is a notepad which has the same size and look as an Apple iPad. The iPaperPad is slightly smaller than a standard notepad and providing a more "intimate" experience. Because of its smaller size it is also lighter than a standard notepad and it requires no batteries making it the obvious choice over the iPad for airplane flights lasting over 10 hours.
iPaperPad's un-revolutionary paper surface makes for a traditional experience. You can read and write mail on iPaperPad pages and glue photos onto the paper. The removable pages allow you to create albums and slideshows. By leaving the page bindings intact you can also use the iPaperPad as a flipbook.
There is not an app store with 150,000 apps but the iPaperPad supports all existing writing instruments, scissors, and glue currently compatible with paper technology. This includes any items previously purchased by an iPaperPad customer for manipulating paper. There are no developers currently creating exciting paper manipulating items for the iPaperPad.
This is the only model. When it sells out it's gone. If we can't sell our entire inventory in the US we will try to sell them in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland, and the UK. If we get really desperate we will ship in additional countries, except Greece.
Starting at $4.99. $14.97 for a three pad pack - 25 pages per pad. Use one, share two with friends.
PR: As the world's thinnest rechargeable battery case, the mophie juice pack air is designed to virtually double the time you have to Rock, Talk, Surf and Send with your iPhone 3G or 3GS.
The juice pack air is a rechargeable external battery concealed inside of a protective formfitting case for the iPhone 3G & iPhone 3GS. It offers you the full protection of a hard-shell case while providing virtually twice the battery life of the iPhone alone; all in an ultra-thin, lightweight, low-profile design.
The juice pack air is a rechargeable Smart Battery concealed inside of a low-profile, lightweight, soft-touch case. Toggle between Charging and Standby with the flick of a switch.
Officially certified by Apple Inc. as a "Works with iPhone 3G(S)" product.
The juice pack air is designed to virtually double the time you have to Rock, Talk, Surf and Send with your iPhone 3G or 3GS.
Smart Battery Technology instructs the iPhone to always drain the Juice Pack's battery first.
Charge and sync your iPhone to iTunes without removing it from the juice pack air by using the included USB cable.
The juice pack air not only adds battery life, it is a protective formfitting case with an ultra-thin, lightweight, low-profile design.?
The juice pack air comes with a 1 year limited warranty.
The juice pack air is specially designed for iPhone 3G & 3GS and has passed strict over-the-air performance tests conducted by an Apple designated test lab.
The integrated LED status indicator tells you exactly how much juice is left at the push of a button. It also indicates the charging status so you know before you go.
PR: Wearable Inc. has announced that AirStash, the first wireless flash drive for iPad, iPhone, and other WiFi devices, is now available to order for $99.99 at airstash.com for US and Canada. AirStash is the only flash drive that shares documents and streams media from a pocket, backpack, briefcase, or handbag with its built-in media server technology.
"AirStash is an evolutionary leap forward for the USB flash drive and the perfect complement to the iPad. It's the first flash drive that shares and streams files directly and securely over WiFi, and the only flash drive which works with Apple's new tablet," says Matthew Klapman, Wearable's CEO. "iPad users can leave their laptop at home and use AirStash to distribute documents and receive files from computers, view photos from a digital camera, or carry and stream additional movies and music with no Internet connection or transfer cable required."
AirStash is the most cost-effective way to expand your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch by using SD and SDHC cards (up to 32 GB). A single 16 GB card with a street price of under $40 provides enough space to store 20 hours of video or thousands of documents, music, and videos. Digital camera users can conveniently view and easily share pictures with friends and family by inserting their camera's card into AirStash. The unique wireless media server creates a WiFi network from the contents of the memory card, enabling multiple users to view and stream media simultaneously.
"The AirStash portable server supports any WiFi-enabled device with a web browser," said Brian Mastenbrook, Wearable's CTO. "We believe that users who choose Apple devices expect products that can be used out of the box without lengthy configuration or installation procedures, and AirStash delivers. We've used HTML5 technology to provide a superb interface for users of the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch without requiring any app installation."
AirStash is the first hardware device that leverages Apple's implementation of the upcoming HTML5 standard to provide a rich interface that allows iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch users to view, organize, and stream media without installing anything from the app store. Any document, photo, audio, or video format supported by Apple's iPhone OS can be viewed or streamed with one tap after connecting to the AirStash wireless network. Users can choose to enable WPA2 encryption to protect their data, or create an open network for easy sharing.
Measuring just 3.6 x 1.9 x 0.5 inches (92 x 47.8 x 12.2 mm) and weighing just 1.5 oz (43 g), AirStash easily fits into your pocket, backpack, briefcase, or handbag for up to five hours of continuous video streaming thanks to the built-in lithium-polymer battery. AirStash charges from any USB-equipped laptop or desktop (powered ports only) and works as a USB 2.0 High Speed flash drive & memory card reader. Memory is provided by an SD/SDHC slot supporting up to 32 GB of high-density storage. New features and enhanced device compatibility can be provided by firmware updates downloaded from the Internet.
AirStash stores your movies, music, photos, and documents and wirelessly shares them with your phone, media player, netbook, tablet, computer, and more. Use AirStash like a USB flash drive to drag & drop the files you want to your SD card while charging the built-in lithium polymer battery, then unplug & play on all of your browser-enabled WiFi devices. Just connect your WiFi enabled device to your AirStash and instantly surf & stream your media files through your web browser. No software or app installation is required.
Additional storage for the iPhone, iPod touch & iPad
Break through the storage limits on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad with AirStash! There's no need to decide what files to squeeze onto your iPhone - bring them all with AirStash. Supply a single SD card for storage capacity up to 32 GB, or bring along additional SD cards for unlimited storage on-the-go. Because AirStash is wireless, you can keep using your favorite case and accessories while AirStash sits in your pocket, backpack, purse, or briefcase.
Camera adapter to iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
AirStash brings standard SD/SDHC and microSD/SDHC cards to the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad for convenient, hot-swappable access to flash cards on-the-go. Download photos to the gallery with one tap and use your favorite apps to edit and upload. Photographers can finally leave the bulky laptop at home.
Turn your car into a media access point on your next road trip with an AirStash in the glove box. Serve music to the front seat and stream movies to the back seat at the same time. Let the kids choose their own movies or music to enjoy on their individual iPod touch devices. Take AirStash on your next camping trip off the beaten path while still enjoying wireless access to your media library. AirStash makes its own network, so you don't need to be tied to one. Review files or kick back and relax at 30,000 feet when you bring AirStash on a WiFi allowed flight.
Unlike a regular flash drive, AirStash shares your files with multiple devices simultaneously. Don't make everyone huddle around a single computer screen to see the latest family pictures and videos. Now everyone can share and enjoy on their own wireless device. Put AirStash in your briefcase to share files with your business associates without waiting for email. With WPA2 encryption, you can quickly and securely distribute presentations and documents during a meeting.
No Internet access required ($0 per month)
Expand and share without worrying about bandwidth, coverage, outages, or cloud failures. AirStash does not require an existing WiFi hotspot or 3G wireless service. (We'd show a map for that, but it would be solid green!) With so much convenience for about the same cost as one month of iPhone service, why not?
No software to install
If you know how to use a flash drive and a web browser, you know how to use AirStash. Just plug AirStash into your computer and it appears on your desktop as a disk drive. Drag & drop your files over high speed USB while recharging the built-in lithium-polymer battery. AirStash works with almost all modern operating systems, including Windows, OS X, and Chrome OS, and almost any device that can use a USB flash drive!
Safe & Secure
It's your stash of files and you want to maintain control! Keep all your files securely in your pocket and away from Internet hackers looking to bring down the cloud. Wireless password access and streaming encryption (WPA2) keeps your stash private. When you want to share, it's your choice.
Add new features as they become available with simple downloads from your computer. We're very excited about what's coming! Follow us on Twitter @AirStash or become a fan at facebook.com/AirStash
AirStash's minimal curved profile was designed to feel good in the hand and easily slip into a pocket. A single, recessed power button controls WiFi and prevents activation in a pocket. Two hidden icons pop to life to show battery charge, USB activity, and WiFi heartbeat. The translucent cap reveals the USB plug within to add both functional and aesthetic appeal. Finally, a concave end juxtaposes the convex body and displays a polarized SD card slot. Just enough of the card is exposed to prevent the card from being knocked out while allowing easy removal.
AirStash is available to order now in the US and Canada for $99.99. The first orders are estimated to ship by March 31st, 2010.
AirStash provides up to five hours of continuous video streaming. We are working to optimize the battery life for audio streaming and in standby mode and will announce final numbers before AirStash ships. The built-in lithium-polymer battery in the AirStash charges when you plug it into a computer. Simply plug the AirStash into a free port on your computer or a powered USB hub (built in to many LCD monitors) to charge the AirStash and drag files to your SD/SDHC card. You can use the included USB extension cable if you're unable to plug the AirStash in directly.
AirStash creates a WiFi (802.11g) access point from your SD/SDHC card. Any device with a web browser can view the contents of the card. Media type support is determined by the browser on your device; if you can click a link to view it on a web page, AirStash can serve it.
On the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, AirStash provides an optimized HTML5 interface for viewing media, including playlist management. No app install is necessary to use this interface. We're working to bring this interface to other devices as well.
AirStash uses a SD or SDHC card for memory. SDHC cards are available in up to 32 GB of capacity. No card is included with the AirStash. Cards larger than 32 GB require a new standard (called SDXC) and will be available on the market later in 2010. AirStash is designed to support all SD and SDHC cards. AirStash does not require a specific speed class for memory cards. Most SDHC cards on the market can transfer data faster than is required for streaming high-quality video to an iPhone or other device.
PR: As we approach the availability of the Apple iPad on Saturday, April 3, Kensington has entered the mix with some cool, new and super price-friendly accessories.
PowerBolt Micro Car Charger for iPad (K39224; $24.99)
Turn drive time into charge time with the Kensington PowerBolt Micro Car Charger. With 2.1 Amps, there's plenty of power to give your iPad, iPhone and iPod a quick charge. And its ultra low-profile design blends nicely into your vehicle's interior. Available April 3 at Apple stores and kensington.com.
Kensington Reversible Sleeve for iPad (K62911; $9.99)
Protect your iPad and look good doing it with the Kensington Reversible Sleeve. The soft neoprene construction provides cushioning that protects against bumps and scratches while also looking sharp and feeling great in your hand. And it's slim enough to slip into a backpack or case. Available for purchase now at kensington.com.
Kensington Sling Bag for iPad (K62571; $19.99)
Slide in your iPad, sling it over your shoulder and you're good to go in style while keeping your iPad safe from bumps and scratches. The Sling Bag has room for your iPad, net book or tablet PC, plus all of your essentials. Available April 30 at kensington.com.
PR: Watch slideshows and movies on the big screen by connecting your iPad to a TV, monitor, projector, or LCD display that uses a VGA connector.*
Use the iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter to connect an iPad to your television, projector, or VGA display. Then see your videos and slideshows on the big screen.
The iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter connects to your iPad or iPad Dock via the dock connector and to your projector or display using the VGA adapter (supports landscape mode only).
Ships: By April 3rd
- Unique ergonomic design
- with stone-grain surface
- Fully Protected from bumps and scratches
- Light weight
- Perfectly fit
- Easy access to all ports, buttons and sockets
PR: Protect your iPhone 3GS and 5G iPod nano in the finest possible style with Proporta's Aluminium Lined Leather Cases (Apple 5G iPod nano & Apple iPhone 3G/3GS). Handcrafted from the finest quality leather to the exact specifications of each device, both cases feature Proporta's trademark -Screen Saver- System, with a sheet of lightweight, aircraft grade aluminium built in to protect against even the worst impact damage and crushing.
And just to make them that little bit more appealing, they are both now available in mulberry and teal as well.
Aluminium Lined Leather Case
Never be left out on a limb again. The Aluminium Lined Leather Case (Apple 5G iPod nano and Apple iPhone 3G/3GS) is hand crafted from high quality leather to meet the exact specifications of your Apple 5G iPod nano. Featuring our trademark 'Screen Saver System', a sheet of rigid, lightweight aircraft grade Aluminium lines the Case to protect your precious device from crushing and impact shocks. Stylish and clever.
Cut outs give access to ports and controls so that you can continue to use your device while it's in the case.
- Handcrafted from the finest quality leather
- Stitched leather case with contrast leather style, and black with cream pinstripe lining
- Custom made to hold your Apple 5G iPod nano securely in place
- Aluminium lined screen saver flip cover
- Contrast overstitching
- Secure closure system
- Cut outs for access to device whilst in the case
Proporta "Never Argue" returns policy - if you're not happy with your order, they'll refund you
Fast, reliable delivery
Aluminium Lined Leather Case (Apple 5G iPod nano)
Aluminium Lined Leather Case (Apple iPhone 3G/3GS)
PR: Skydda Design introduces their affordable, premium-quality hardwood cases for the iPhone 3G and 3GS devices. The TradCase is available in Walnut, Cherry, and exotic Teak hardwoods, and the TradDuo is available in Maple/Walnut or Maple/Cherry.
Many people are disappointed with the iPhone cases available on today's market, because none measure up to the beauty of the iPhone. Well, Skydda Design has changed all that by offering the TradCase and TradDuo at an affordable price. Each of these gorgeous cases is carved from a single block of premium-quality hardwood and hand-polished to a luxurious satin finish. Because natural hardwoods differ in appearance, each TradCase and TradDuo is unique in color-tone and grain, making your case truly one of a kind. Weighing less than half-an-ounce, the TradCase is lightweight and is precisely engineered to fit your iPhone like a glove, adding no perceptible weight or bulk.
High-tech electronics and quality hardwoods have been combined in luxury automobiles for years. "Hardwood meets high-tech," Skydda Design's motto, is wonderfully achieved with the introduction of the TradCase. Skydda Design cofounder Charles Hodgson has this to say: "There have been other attempts at offering hardwood iPhone cases, but they were both overpriced and impractical, leaving much to be desired. We thought we could do better by providing a beautiful, hardwood iPhone case that has superior craftsmanship and functionality at an affordable price, and I believe we've done that."
- Designed exclusively for the iPhone 3G/3GS
- Easily-to-operate wood buttons to control the volume and on/off switch
- Precision-cut openings for the charger, camera, earbuds and ringer switch
- Long-lasting, luxurious satin finish will not wear off
- Hardwood case providing maximum protection for your iPhone
- Height: 4.75 inches (120.7 mm)
- Width: 2.63 inches (66.5 mm)
- Depth: 0.52 inch (13 mm)
- Weight: * 0.46 ounces (13 grams)
The TradCase is carved from a single block of premium quality hardwood and hand polished to a luxurious satin finish. As each piece of wood is unique in its color, grain and shading, your new TrdCase is truly on. After your iPhone is mounted you can press on the wood buttons to control the on/off switch and volume controls.
Starting at $59.99 - Introductory Price: $49.99
TrdDuo uses two species of wood: (Maple/Cherry) & (Maple/Walnut)
TrdCase and TrdDuo Highlights
- Designed exclusively for the iPhone 3G/3GS
- Easily-to-operate wood buttons to control the volume and on/off switch
- Precision-cut openings for the charger, camera, earbuds and ringer switch
- Long-lasting, luxurious satin finish will not wear off
- Hardwood case providing maximum protection for your iPhone
Starting at $69.99 - Introductory Price : $59.99
The TradCase and TradDuo are affordable, premium-quality hardwood cases for the iPhone 3G/3GS. For an limited time only, Skydda Design is offering an introductory price of $44.99 for the TradCase and $54.99 for the TradDuo.
PR: Cars, computers, handhelds - it seems like everyone is going hybrid. What's the hook? To be hybrid is to take the best of both worlds, the strengths of two technologies combined for one powerful, game-changing solution.
Case-Mate's Hybrid Tough case for the Apple iPad uses the protective power of dual layers. A formfitting silicone skin surrounds your iPad completely, absorbing each impact or hard-knock. Wrapped around the skin is a tough, ABS plastic shell for complete security, adding another level of protection - and making for a firm grip.
- For active lifestyles - hiking in Yellowstone, hiking to the boardroom, or hiking to soccer practice
- Enhanced dustproof protection to controls
- Complete access to all ports and buttons
- Silicone skin color offerings come with patterned gray ABS plastic shell
PR: Universal Electronic Accessories ("Uniea"), designer and manufacturer of innovative electronic accessories, today launched a new line of versatile cases for the Apple iPad. The new cases offer a wide range of different construction materials, features, and colors that are designed to meet the needs of a wide range of iPad users, who will undoubtedly utilize their new iPad for work, leisure, and school.
Constructed of lightweight neoprene and featuring a simple, stylish design, the U-Sleaf offers iPad users a fashionable, convenient sleeve-style case that is perfect for class or the café. The unique wave-shaped flap stays securely closed without the use of zippers or Velcro that can damage the iPad when inserting or removing it from the case. Another key feature of the U-Sleaf is that it is reversible, giving you two color options for the price of one. The U-Sleaf will be available in a multi-color/chocolate brown version in early April, and will also come in four other reversible colors not long after the release of the iPad.
The U-Skin is a shell case for the iPad that features a smooth yet strong silicone surface that is impact-resistant and protects the device from dirt and scratches. In spite of the iPad's rugged, protective design, the case is quite slim and adds minimal bulk to the iPad, offer full access to ports and switches for the ultimate in mobile computing. Another unique feature of the case is its particularly shiny silicone surface, which is much shinier than most other silicone cases on the market today. The U-Skin will debut in early April in white and black, with candy apple red and neon blue to follow not long after.
The Omniverse line of cases includes a wide range of shapes and styles for a variety of gadgets. Now, an iPad version of the Omniverse is now available, complete with the same features that has made the Omniverse a critically-acclaimed case, such as a unique interior memory foam for maximum protection, corner flaps that keep the iPad in place, a stowable tote handle, rugged zippers for years of use, and silk or nylon material. The Omniverse will be released in black at the beginning of April, and Uniea will work to release other colors as soon as possible.
These three iPad cases will be available when the iPad makes its debut on April 3rd. In addition, Uniea is planning the release of two other case designs that should debut not long after the release of the Apple iPad. They are as follows:
For iPad users who want to protect their device without changing its look and feel, the U-Feel is a perfect choice. Constructed of impact-resistant PC plastic, the U-Feel's surface has the same smooth, sleek texture as the iPad itself. The top of the case features a comfortable rubberized texture that makes it easy to grip and hold the iPad, offering full access to critical ports and switches. The U-Feel is planned to feature red, black, and blue color options, or, for users who want to preserve the color of their iPad, clear plastic as well.
The U-Glance shell case transforms your iPad into a shimmering work of art! The case is constructed of TPU plastic, which offers both protection and flexibility. While the outside of the case is quite smooth and easy to grip, the interior features a uniquely embossed diamond pattern. When light hits the U-Glance, it creates an amazing glimmering effect that gives the illusion of shimmering diamonds. Along with full access to ports, the U-Glance offers both style and projection for the iPad.
Recent News Roundups
- Tips for New MacBook Users, When (Not) to Buy AppleCare, and More 'Book News, 2012.12.29. Also inside Retina MacBook's asymmetric cooling fans, Windows 8 means lower Windows PC sales, and more 'Book news.
- Confessions of an Apple Store Employee, Refurb Mac Bargains, and More Mac News, 2012.12.29. Also save old RAM when upgrading, latest Geekbench results, use TextEdit as an HTML editor, and more Mac news.
- The Case Against PPC Linux, OS X Tiger on Facebook, ResExcellence Rebirth, and More, 2012.12.22. Also sharing files between OS X, Classic, and Linux; remembering the 20th Anniversary Mac, iMac, SuperDisk, and G3 PowerBooks; and TenFourBird 17 email client released.
- Google Maps #1 iOS App, Android Share Dropped in 2012, New Apps, and More iOS News, 2012.12.22. Also Google Maps drives users to adopt iOS 6, Walmart iDevice price rollback, Easilydo life assistant, waterproof iPhone 5 case, and more iOS news.
- 2012 a Year of Great Change in Apple Portables, Desktop to MacBook, and More 'Book News, 2012.12.22. Also can an iPad replace your MacBook?, EFI update for 13" Retina MacBook Pro, $249 Matrox Thunderbolt dock with video output, and more 'Book news.
- Apple Services Status Monitor, Macs Users the Most Charitable, and More Mac News, 2012.12.22. Also Yahoo mail viewed as platform neutral, EFI update for Late 2012 iMacs, Logos and Photoshop Elements sales, and more Mac news.
- iPhone 5 Is Time's Gadget of the Year, Fundamental iOS 6 Complaints, and More iOS News, 2012.12.17. Also former Mac evangelist an Android fan, iPad changes the way you write, Microsoft Surface falling flat, Google Maps for iOS 6, and more iOS news.
- More in the iOS News Review index.
Links for the Day
- Mac of the Day: Color Classic, introduced 1993.02.01. A cult classic, this was the compact Mac with color that everyone had been waiting for.
- May 23 in LEM history: 00: A computer I understood - 01: Mac: A dream fulfilled - 02: PowerKey - 03: 12" PowerBook better than 15" TiBook - 05: The First Macs - 06: What's in your workspace? - Picking the right laptop - Sun has set on the G4 - 06: Running your notebook using flash memory - 08: MacBook holds its own against Dell and HP
- Support Low End Mac
Recent Content on Low End Mac
- World Book Encyclopedia 2012 DVD, Tommy Thomas, Reviews, 2013.03.05. "You may be asking yourself, in an age of Wikipedia and instant information, is World Book still relevant?"
- Vintage Computer Festival SouthEast, April 20-21, 2013, Simon Royal, Mac Spectrum, 2013.02.25. Old Apple gear and old PCs.
- iMessage: The Ultimate Messaging Service?, Simon Royal, Mac Spectrum, 2013.02.21. In most ways, Apple's iMessage is far superior to BlackBerry Messenger.
- More links in our archive.
- Best Mac mini Deals
- Best 13" MacBook Pro Deals
- Best Intel iMac Deals
- Best iPod touch Deals
- Best iPhone Deals
- Best iPod nano Deals
- Best iPod classic Deals
- Best Apple TV Prices
- More deals in our archive.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ