The iPhone 5S marked the beginning of 64-bit power. While the Android world was going with 4-core 32-bit processors, Apple raised the bar with its dual-core 64-bit A7, which has about twice the power of the A6.
The iPhone 5S also introduced a built-in fingerprint sensor in the iPhone’s home button known as Touch ID. It was also the first iPhone available in gold.
The 5S has an improved camera and a dual-LED flash that can adjust for different lighting situations. Automatic HDR is standard on the 5S – it had been an user option on the 4S and 5. Digital image stabilization is also new with the 5S.
Between the iPhone 5C and 5S, 9 million units were sold over the weekend of their release. Even though it didn’t ship until September 30, 2013, it was the best selling model among major U.S. carriers for the month.
The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus replaced the iPhone 5S as the top-end model in September 2014, at which point the 64 GB 5S was discontinued. As of September 2015, it looks like the 16 GB and 32 GB versions will remain as the no-cost and $49 “with 2-year contract” models, rather than Apple introducing an 8 GB entry-level iPhone.
The iPhone 5S is the oldest model to support iOS 10.3.
- Announced: 2013.10.10 and available 2013.10.20 at $199 (16 GB), $299 (32 GB), and $399 (64 GB) with a two-year wireless contract. ($649, $749, and $849 respectively without contract.)
- Included accessories: earbuds, lightning cable
- Code names: N51
- Identifier: iPhone6,1 (GSM), iPhone 6,2 (GSM/CDMA)
- Model number: A1533 (GSM NA), A1453 (GSM Int’l and GSM/CDMA), A1457 (UK & Europe), A1530 (Asia & Oceania)
- Product numbers
- CPU: 1.3 GHz 64-bit dual-core Apple A7
- RAM: 1 GB
- Architecture: 64-bit
- Graphics engine: 3-core PowerVR SGX543MP3
- Display: 4.0″ 640 x 1136 pixel 24-bit multitouch screen @ 326 ppi
- rear: 8.0 MP autofocus with LED flash, 1080p video
- front: 1.2 MP FaceTime camera
- Sensors: proximity, ambient light, 3-axis gyroscope, accelerometer, assisted GPS, compass, Nike+iPod
- Geekbench, single core: 1396
- Geekbench, multicore: 2515
- I/O port: Lightning
- WiFi: 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz)
- Bluetooth: 4.0
- GSM NA: UMTS/HSDPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)
- GSM Int’l: UMTS/HSDPA+/CD-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz, GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5)
- GSM & CDMA: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz), UMTS/HSDPA+/CD-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz, GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)
- GPS: Infineon PMB2525 assisted by EDGE, 3G, and WiFi
- Battery: 1570 mAh lithium ion
- Charge time: about 4 hours (2 hour fast charge to 80% capacity)
- Battery life:
- Talk: up to 10 hours
- Standby: up to 250 hours
- Internet: up to 8 hours on 3G, 10 hours on LTE or WiFi
- Video: up to 10 hours
- Audio: up to 40 hours
- Original OS: iOS 7
- Maximum OS: current
- iTunes Versions: iTunes 11.1 and later.
- Mac OS Required: OS X 10.6.8 or later
- Windows Versions Supported: 7, Vista, XP Home or Professional SP 3 or later
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions: 4.87″ x 2.31″ x 0.30″ (123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm)
- Weight: 3.95 oz. (112 g)
- Best iPhone Prices, best online deals on iPhones.
- iPhone 5S Technical Specifications, Apple
- iPhone, Wikipedia
- iPhone 5S, Wikipedia
- iPhone 5s, apple-history.com
Short link: http://goo.gl/3iAuJP