When Will Flash Memory Replace Hard Drives?, Getting the Most from Your 'Book's Batttery, and More
This Week's Mac Notebook News
This Week's MacBook, PowerBook, and iBook News
All prices are in US dollars unless otherwise noted.
General Apple and Mac desktop news is covered in The Mac News Review.
News & Opinion
Products and Services
- Case-mate Suit for 15" MacBook Pro
- FastMac's High Capacity MacBook Replacement Battery
- BookEndz Docking Stations for MacBook Pro and MacBook
- SNAP Design - Laptop Cases for Guys & Gals
- UNIEA Leather U-Suit for MacBook
- Pacific Design Action II Backpack XL for 17" MacBook Pro and PowerBook
- Cover Your MacBook with MacCovers
- Dr. Bott Offers Case-Mate Leather Cases for 'Books
News & Opinion
PBZone's Doug Landry says:
"Welcome to the first part in our series examining the cutting-edge technologies that will be integrated into future MacBook models over the next few years.
"We chose to examine the advent of large-capacity solid state storage technology as the first installment of this series as it's definitely the direction storage is headed for portables, with some high-end models from smaller manufacturers already on the market with this option.
"...The advantages of no moving parts are manifold: less power consumption, faster seek and read times, better shock resistance, and silent operation. The drawbacks are price, slower write times, and a comparably shorter lifetime, though each of these will improve as innovation continues by solid state manufacturers...."
A macinhack.com tutorial says:
"Anyone who has purchased an Apple laptop knows that the battery life is significant. I specifically remember getting four hours of life (full screen brightness) with my first G4 PowerBook. As time advances, the battery, processor, and electronic technology grows; and with it comes the ability to produce a portable that is more efficient and energy conservative, yet still has the performance that consumers require.
"As time with your laptop advances however, the battery on your system may begin to lose its charging capabilities. What was once four hours of life, turns into three and a half, then to two and a half, and so on and so on. Throughout your system life, the greater portion of the time you will never use your laptop until the battery is empty. More or less you will use it for a little, then plug it back in, take it off, plug in again and so forth. The process of doing this can miss-calibrate the battery to the point where it will not allow maximum storage capability and lower your battery life.
"If you find that you have substantially lower battery life for no apparent reason whatsoever, you should follow the steps provided in order to see if you can rejuvenate your current battery."
"From Brazil to Pakistan, some of the world's poorest children will peer across the digital divide this month-reading electronicbooks, shooting digital video, creating music and chatting with classmates online.
"Founded by Massachusetts Institute of Technology academics, the non-profit 'One Laptop per Child' project will roll out nearly 2,500 of its $150 laptops to eight nations in February."
New model with .2 inch ultra slim LCD panel and 2.2 lb. ultra light design, a category where Apple isn't - yet
PR: The compact 11.1" widescreen ASUS U1F is tailor-made for metropolitan professionals to stay on the move with style. From the piano finished LCD cover, stainless contour and carbon fiber alloy housing to genuine leather bound palm rest, the U1 exudes luxury and unique sophistication. With the latest Intel Centrino Duo Mobile Technology, Windows Vista operating system and exclusive ASUS innovations, the U1F offers a dynamic computing experience with blistering speed.
Exceptional Computing Luxury
The U1F's gleaming lacquer-finished surface stands out with a dramatic yet low-key style. Exquisite tactile detailing of the leather bound palm rest adds yet another dimension to the notebook design, giving it a comfortable softness that personalizes the computing experience.
Lightweight Design with Solid Quality
The beauty of the notebook is complimented by its simple and clean lines. The stainless contour gives the notebook a structured appearance with sturdiness, while the LCD cover is high in hardness for enhanced screen protection. To enhance the overall high mobility design of the U1F while keeping all parts well-protected, magnesium-aluminum alloy and carbon fiber alloy are used for the cover and base of the notebook respectively.
The U1F's screen adopts a special LED backlight panel that is half the width of and 1/3 lighter than a traditional LCD panel. It operates with lower power consumption and offers better luminance as well as faster response time. In addition, the 11.1-inch glare-type widescreen with exclusive an Splendid Color Enhancement Engine displays vivid colors and sharp details for the most enjoyable viewing experience.
Solid Privacy Protection
The U1F offers a smart balance of mobility and performance with comprehensive security features. Data security is uncompromised with a built-in fingerprint scanner that reads from the live layer of skin, preventing common skin surface conditions from impairing scanner accuracy. An embedded TPM hardware solution prevents attacks by hackers looking to capture passwords and encryption keys to sensitive data.
Live Video Communication
The high-resolution webcam module is one of the smallest lenses available and integrates seamlessly into the U1F's LCD panel. Together with a built-in high quality microphone, wire-free video conferencing is possible anywhere. The wireless connectivity ability of the U1F is also extensive. It offers built-in WLAN 802.11 a/b/g and Bluetooth 2.0 enhanced data rate for high speed Internet access and data transfers.
Long Lasting Battery Life
Mobility is further enhanced by the U1F's extended battery life, helping users to achieve better productivity. ASUS' Power4 Gear eXtreme power management extends battery life up to 20-25%, providing a reliable and continuous operation power.
Intel Centrino Duo Mobile Technology
- Intel U2400 1.06 GHz, 2 MB L2 ultra-low voltage Core Duo Processor
- Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset
- Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
- Windows Vista
- Genuine Home Premium
- Genuine Business
- DDRII 667 MHz
- 11.1" WXGA LED backlight with Color Shine
- ASUS Video Intelligence Technology
- 40/60/80 GB HDD
- External Blu-Ray/DVD Super Multi DL/Combo(optional)
- Built-in 0.3 megapixel webcam
- Fingerprint scanner & TPM (Trusted Platform Module)
- 10/100/1000, 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth V2.0+EDR+A2DP
- 4x USB 2.0, 1x IEEE 1394, 1x VGA, 1x New Card, 1x 5V DC-out, 1x USB Portbar (optional)
- 10.8" x 7.5" x 0.7"-1.1", 2.2 lb. (with 3-cell battery)
Products and Services
PR: The Suit by Case-mate is a form-fit leather wrap for your MacBook and now your MacBook Pro. These luxurious leather cases hug your laptop while it's in use or in transit, all the while offering the utmost in security and protection.
Made using resilient Italian Pebblestone leather, each Suit is outfitted with an impact-resistant plastic shell. These unique leather cases are strong, stylish, and feel great to the touch.
Now available for the 15-inch MacBook Pro in Phantom Black, Sienna Red & Alpine White ($159.99).
13-inch MacBook Suits available in Phantom Black, Alpine White, Sienna Red & four other cool color combinations ($149.99).
PR: FastMac has announced the first & only high capacity, extended life battery upgrade for Apple's 13-inch MacBook computer. Available in matching white or black colors, the new 60 Whr battery uses Lithium-Polymer cells (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) that are manufactured to the highest quality standards and utilize TruePower technology to provide a safe computing experience. FastMac's TruePower battery for the MacBook is scheduled to ship within 30 days and is available for pre-order from fastmac.com for a special introductory price of $99.95. Each battery carries a 1 year warranty and a 30 day money back guarantee.
FastMac's TruePower line of battery upgrades replace the computer's original battery with a larger capacity and longer lasting advanced power cell battery that utilizes TruePower technology. This technology incorporates sensors in the integrated circuit inside the battery that detect undesirable levels of swelling or a short circuit that will power off the battery in certain extreme conditions. TruePower batteries do not contain or use any Sony cells that are subject to the recent series of recalls issued by major computer manufacturers.
"As a replacement, or a spare, our battery not only lasts 10% longer but is $30 cheaper than any other MacBook battery," said Michael Lowdermilk, Business Development Manager for FastMac Performance Upgrades, Inc. "This new battery furthers our mission strategy of providing the Mac user with better products and better technology at a better price."
FastMac's line of TruePower batteries for laptops are engineered using the highest quality, high-capacity Lithium Ion or Polymer cells, keeping safety in mind at all times. FastMac utilizes custom form factors and materials to achieve a superior fit and finish, matching the original battery whilst increasing capacity. Each battery is individually tested and includes safety features to protect against overcharge, overheating, short circuits and power surges. All TruePower batteries carry at least a 1 year warranty and in some cases, a 2 year warranty. FastMac's TruePower line includes battery upgrades for all iPods & all Apple portables released after 1997, including the world's longest lasting PowerBook battery with up to 68% more capacity than the original. FastMac is also first to market a replacement battery for Apple's latest MacBook & MacBook Pro portables.
"We're proud to be first to market with a replacement MacBook battery that not only lasts longer than the stock Apple battery, but also saves you money," said Edward Savio, President of FastMac Performance Upgrades, Inc.
TruePower is the name of an innovative new technology designed to extend the life of ordinary Lithium Ion cells, commonly used in most rechargeable batteries. More than 4 years in development, this patented technology allows tiny ceramic particles (each less than a millionth of a millimeter in size) to be integrated into the molecular structure of the chemical binding agent found inside each Lithium Ion battery. These particles then link-in with each other & a proprietary energy management circuit to create an extremely dense and highly conductive layer on the surface of a capacitor-enhanced battery pack. This combination delivers the power necessary to satisfy the pulse demands placed on most batteries, whilst ensuring the protection of the Lithium cell matrix. This results in battery packs that can be recharged many more times as well as yielding longer run times per charge. Whereas ordinary battery packs start losing their power within a few months, TruePower-enhanced battery packs continue giving consistent power for long periods, allowing OEMs to offer warranties of 2 years or more. More information about TruePower is available via the website: http://www.truepowerbattery.com
About FastMac Batteries
FastMac's battery upgrades utilize TruePower technology- a patented material & energy management circuit that is designed to protect the battery's internal lithium crystal matrix from damage caused by power spikes. These spikes occur when the computer demands a sudden high current peak- for example, to turn on the backlight or to load the next data sectors. Over time, these power spikes decrease capacity, runtime and battery life, eventually rendering the power cells unusable. Through the use of TruePower technology, the energy management circuit is able to smooth out the power spikes and lower the rate of decay. This protects the battery and leads to a longer lifecycle. Not only does this extend the usability of the computer, it also helps the environment by curbing the depletion of chemicals and plastic materials used in battery products and reducing the number of waste batteries sent to landfills. More information about FastMac's battery upgrades is available via the website: http://www.fastmac.com
Docking Station for 15" MacBook Pro - FireWire 800
PR: The docking station replicates all of the connectors and ports from the sides of the 15" MacBook and routes the connectors, to the back of the dock and uniquely manages the new MacSafe Power Connector. The dock allows for all of the peripheral devices normally connected to the sides of the MacBook - Power, Ethernet, Modem, FireWire, USB, Audio In, Audio Out to be plugged into the back of the dock, and remain plugged in, independent of the computer. Taking the computer from the office or the home, or moving it from one room to another, doesn't require disconnecting and reconnecting several devices.
Includes the port for the new FireWire 800 model. Second generation MacBook Pro only
Price: $ 299.95
BookEndz Docking Station For the First Generation MacBook Pro without FireWire 800
Price: $ 299.95
Docking Station for 13" MacBook
The docking station replicates all of the connectors and ports from the side of the 13" MacBook. The dock allows for all of the peripheral devices normally connected to the side of the MacBook - Ethernet, Modem, FireWire, USB, Audio In, Audio Out to be plugged into the back of the dock, and remain plugged in, independent of the computer. Taking the computer from the office or the home, or moving it from one room to another, doesn't require disconnecting and reconnecting several devices.
** New: This MacBook 13" Includes a Powered USB Hub with a total of 5 USB ports and a Full Size VGA and DVI port
White or Black
13" MacBook Docking Station available in March 2007
BookEndz Dock for the 17" PowerBook G4
The docking station replicates all of the connectors and ports from the sides of the 17" PowerBook and routes the connectors, through its unique design, to the back of the dock. The dock allows for all of the peripheral devices normally connected to the sides of the PowerBook - Power, Ethernet, Modem, FireWire, USB, Audio In, Audio Out to be plugged into the back of the dock, and remain plugged in, independent of the computer. Taking the computer from the office or the home, or moving it from one room to another, doesn't require disconnecting and reconnecting several devices.
17" MacBook Pro Docking Station available in April 2007
PR: These cases are unique in their color and design. Each laptop case is well padded, fabric lined and very durable. All contain a zipper closure at the top as well as front and back zip pockets (for your power supply, cords, CD-Rs etc...).
Handles for easy transport!
Though designed specifically for Mac 12", 13" & 15" MacBook/MacBook Pro/ PowerBook/iBook*, they also make a great portfolio or everyday case.
h 1.25" w 15" d 10"
*fits laptop up to:
1.08" x 12.78" x 8.92"
h 1.25" w 16.5" d 11.5"
*fits laptop up to:
1" x 14.1" x 9.6"
PR: Leather U-Suit provides a smart way to protect your MacBook
Leather U-Suit provides a smart way to protect your MacBook. By simply attaching the U-Suit to the top and bottom of the MacBook, you are able to prevent dirt, dust and abrasive surfaces from daily usage and accidental damage.
- Hard Protective Cover: Hard inner ABS plastic material protects your laptop from impact at all angles.
- Scratch resistant interior: After attaching the Leather U-Suit, your MacBook won't get scratch because of its soft-protective materials inside.
- Easy and Convenience Application: No need to detach the case while using the MacBook.
- Portable and Light Weight: Tote your laptop anywhere, conveniently and safely in any briefcase and backpack.
Colors: Blue, Gray, Red, White
PR: A smart and stylish PC backpack for school, work, or weekend. An extra-deep main compartment lets you carry everything you need for the day. Moisture shedding back padding and shoulder straps provide comfort during your day's journey.
- Maximum Laptop Size: 2.00" x 15.5" x 12.0"
- CD/MP3 Pocket with Headphone Port
- 1 Exterior Zippered Pocket
- 2 Side Zipper Pockets, 1 w/ Elastic Water Bottle Holder Inside
- Ergonomic Strap with Structure and Lumbar Padding
- Adjustable Waist Belt for Securing Loads
- Compatible with Nucleus
Padded CD/MP3 player pocket with headphone port.
Many compartments inside pack for securing all size items.
Complete ergonomic strap structure with moisture shedding mesh.
Water bottle secure strap in side pocket.
Dimensions 17.5" x 13.5" x 9"
Weight / Volume 2.4 lb. / 2125 cubic inches
Material Durable Nylon Microfiber
Color titanium gray/black
This product ships free.
PR: MacCover is a new MacBook/Pro case from Belgium
1. fits your 13-15-17 inch white or black MacBook
2. different sizes Mac or PC cover available - just ask
3. material 3mm thick natural felt:
- felt is flame retardant
- felt is shock absorbing
- felt is highly resilient
- felt is a renewable and eco-friendly resource
4. high quality real leather adjustable magnetic strap
5. double stitched seams
- no more scratches
- excellent 3mm felt shock protection
- sleek looks to match your MacBook
- no zippers
- handcrafted in Belgium
- natural 100% wool felt
- no fussy pockets
- quick delivery
- free gift wrapping
- also for PC laptops
Available in 7 cool colours
Do you like the MacCover? Then get viral and win a felt cover for your iPod.
How does that work?
Just recommend us to your friends (remember we make both Mac and PC covers) and let them include your e-mail address in their order. The moment we've got 3 orders with a referral to you (and that includes your own), we'll get in touch with you. You can then choose a PodCover to fit your iPod or iPod mini. The available colours are the same as for the MacCover. We'll send you your present free of any charge - and thank you! `
You can not buy our PodCovers anywhere, not even from us. You have to earn them the hard way - by doing your friends a favour. Collect them in all available colours to suit your mood and style!
HSC Flash Memory Drive for ExpressCard/34 FlashMemory Drive
PR: The HSC Flash Memory Drive for ExpressCard/34 (P/N HEX-SxGE) is a flash memory card based on NAND technology. This solid state/nonvolatile Flash Memory Drive is ExpressCard/34 specification compliant with maximum capacity of 8 GB. The Flash Memory Drive utilizes the the advantages provided by the ExpressCard technology and delivers high-speed data transfers (up to 32 MB/sec) to laptop and desktop computers in a small, compact and rugged package.
Windows VISTA users can experience performance improvements when used in combination with ReadyBoost™ and the HSC Flash Memory Drive for ExpressCard/34.
- Flash Memory Drive for ExpressCard/34 Specifications
- Form Factor: ExpressCard/34
- Description: Flash Memory Storage drive for ExpressCard/34 slot
- Dimensions: 75mm(L) x 34mm(W)x 5mm(H)
- Data Transfer Rates: 32MB/sec. max [read] / 22MB/sec. max [write]
- Compliance: RoHS / CE / FCC
- ExpressCard/34 Flash Memory Drive, 1 GB HEX-S1GE $66.50
- ExpressCard/34 Flash Memory Drive, 2 GB HEX-S2GE $123.30
- ExpressCard/34 Flash Memory Drive, 4 GB HEX-S4GE $231.70
- ExpressCard/34 Flash Memory Drive, 8 GB HEX-S8GE $440.
Techshell Protective Covers for MacBook, MacBook Pro, and PowerBook
PR: The Techshell snaps onto your portable computer to protect it from scratches, dust, and other sources of external damage
The Techshell product is a pair of protective covers made out of high-quality plastic. The Techshell snaps onto your portable computer to protect it from scratches, dust, and other sources of external damage.
- Mac PowerBook 17-inch
- Mac PowerBook 15-inch
- Mac PowerBook 12-inch
- MacBook Pro 17-inch
- MacBook Pro 15-inch
- MacBook 13-inch
- High impact polycarbon plastic to snap into place and still allow access to all ports.
- Protects from scratches, dust, and other sources of external damage
- Lifetime warranty
MacBook Techshell: $69.95 - $109.95
15" MacBook Pro Techshell: $159.95
PR: The Suit by Case-mate is a form-fit leather wrap for your MacBook or MacBook Pro.
These luxurious leather cases hug your laptop while it's in use or in transit all the while offering the utmost in security and protection. Made using resilient Italian Pebblestone leather, each Suit is outfitted with an impact resistant plastic shell.
These unique leather cases are strong, stylish, and feel great to the touch.
- Premium form-fit leather casing
- molded out of an impact resistant shell. Soft interior lining will not harm your laptop.
- Easy slide in/slide out design.
- Translucent holds wrap around your 'Book allowing the suit to hug your laptop.
Case-Mate's Signature Suit form-fit leather case for 15-inch MacBook Pro. is made using resilient Italian Pebblestone leather, each Suit is outfitted with an impact resistant plastic shell.
- Case-Mate Signature Suit form-fit leather case for 13-inch MacBook, Alpine White - $149.99
- Case-Mate Signature Suit form-fit leather case for 15-inch MacBook Pro, Black - $159.99
- Case-Mate Signature Suit form-fit leather case for 15-inch MacBook Pro, Red - $159.99
- Case-Mate Signature Suit form-fit leather case for 13-inch MacBook, Phantom Black - $149.99
PR: Temperature Monitor is an application to read out all available temperature sensors in Macintosh computers. The program can display and visualize measured values in a large variety of fashions. The application supports the following operations on the measured readings:
- display in a default window
- output in a screen display in front or in the background of the screen
- tabular display in an overview window
- display in the menu-bar
- display of a maximum of two readings in the Dock
- graphical display of short-term and long-term history curves
- speech output of readings
- display of minimum and maximum values
- export to text files
Moreover, the application can display additional technical information about your computer. Among other information this includes:
- Processor type
- Processor and bus frequencies
- Manufacturing information
Of course the application can read out the data only if your computer is equipped with the necessary sensors, and if Mac OS X can access them without needing third-party device drivers. Beginning in summer 2002, Apple has begun to massively drive forward the use of monitoring probes in the PowerMac series, the Xserve series, and in portable computers. Some models are equipped with 38 and more sensors. But Temperature and Hardware Monitor can detect sensors on many older systems as well if they are available.
Apple has restricted the use of monitoring applications on Intel-based Macintosh systems. Thermal management of those computers is no longer done by the operating system, but controlled by an undocumented hardware device, the Apple System Management Controller. Only a few sensors are accessible by application programs.
We try to detect all sensors on as many Macintosh computer types as possible. However, a prediction which sensors are available in which models is not possible, because Apple very often releases "silent product updates", where the hardware equipments of some models are changed but the names are not (specifications are "subject to change without notice"). The particular graphics card and hard disk configuration used is also important because these parts can include independent sensors, too.
Please note that Apple does not support an official or standardized way of reading out sensor data in Mac OS X (the only exception is the Server Monitor application for the Xserve series). Moreover, there is no documentation or other technical note about the individual function of the sensors. For this reason, the development of Temperature Monitor and Hardware Monitor is very costly because the necessary data has to be determined by reverse engineering and tests run on a variety of computer models. Please support the development of the applications by purchasing a registration key for Hardware Monitor.
New in version 4.11:
- The menu-bar display will now be highlighted when the menu is open.
- It is now possible to delete the full sensor preferences set of a remotely monitored computer by a single mouse click when that machine has been taken offline and is no longer connected to the local computer.
- Corrects a scaling issue affecting the display of history curves when a long term history display had been zoomed out and the window width resulted in a horizontal time sampling resolution between 1 and 2 minutes per pixel.
- The resize behavior of the remote connection window was optimized.
- Enhanced compatibility of the disk saver feature with Mac OS X Jaguar.
- The internal hard drive sensor of Maxtor MaXLine Pro 500 (7H500F0) drives is now also detected by PPC-based Macintosh systems.
System requirements: Mac OS X 10.2.5 or later.
System support: PPC/Intel
Bargain 'Books are used unless otherwise indicated. New and refurbished units have a one-year Apple warranty and are eligible for AppleCare.
There are two different versions of WallStreet running at 233 MHz, the cacheless MainStreet version and the later Series II with a level 2 cache. It's not always possible to determine from the vendor's listing which is being offered, so we've included links within this paragraph to the two models. The same goes for the PowerBook G4/667 (VGA) and G4/667 (DVI), the titanium vs. aluminum 15" PowerBook G4 at 1 GHz, and 1.25 GHz to 1.5 GHz 15" PowerBooks.
PowerBook, iBook, and MacBook profiles linked in our Portable Mac Index.
Some MacBook price drops this week.
- refurb 2.0 GHz Core Duo MacBook, white, 512/60/SD, $899
- refurb 1.83 GHz Core 2 MacBook, white, 1 GB/80/Combo, $949
- refurb 2.0 GHz Core Duo MacBook, black, 1 GB/80/SD, $999
- refurb 2.0 GHz Core 2 MacBook, white, 1 GB/80/SD, $1,049
- refurb 2.0 GHz Core 2 MacBook, black, 1 GB/120/SD, $1,299
- refurb 15" 2.0 GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro, 1 GB/120/SD, $1,349
- refurb 15" 2.16 GHz Core 2 MacBook Pro, 1 GB/80/SD, $1,599
- refurb 17" 2.16 GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro, 1 GB/120/SD, $1,999
- refurb 17" 2.33 GHz Core 2 MacBook Pro, 2 GB/160/SD, $2,299
- 15" PowerBook G4/667, 256/30/Combo, $579
- 15" PowerBook G4/1 GHz, 256/60/SD, Broken Left Hinge, $679
- 12" iBook G3/500, 256/10/CD, $219
- 12" iBook G3/700, 256/20/Combo, $295
- 12" iBook G3/800, 256/30/CD, $329
- 14" iBook G3/900, 256/40/Combo, $409
- Add AirPort for $75
- 15" PowerBook G4/1.5 GHz, 512/80/SD, $1,199
- Add AirPort Extreme for $65
- 12" PowerBook G4/1 GHz, 256/40/Combo, $649
- 12" iBook G3/900, 640/60/Combo, APX, $599
- 12" iBook G4/1 GHz, 256/30/Combo, APX, $549
- 12" iBook G4/1.2 GHz, 256/60/SD, $799
- 14" iBook G4/933, 256/60/Combo, APX, $649
TechRestore is offering a $25 discount to 'Book Review readers off any PowerBook or iBook in stock. Just enter the code CWM during checkout when ordering online. The coupon code is valid from now through 2007.12.31.
- 12" iBook G4/800, 256/30/Combo, $469.99
- 17" PowerBook G4/1.67 GHz, 1 GB/100/SD, APX, $1,499.99
- 12" iBook G3/300, Blueberry, 64/3/CD, $179.95
- 12" iBook G3/300, Tangerine, 64/3/CD, $199.95
- PowerBook Pismo G3/500, 256/20/DVD, $399.95
- 12" iBook G3/600, 128/20/CD, $239.95
- 12" iBook G3/700, 256/20/CD, $269.95
- 12" iBook G3/700, 256/20/Combo, $379.95
- 12" iBook G3/800, 256/30/CD, $299.95
- 12" iBook G4/1 GHz, 512/30/CD, Minor Case Defect, $379.95
- 12" iBook G4/1 GHz, 512/30/CD, $449.95
- 12" iBook G4/1 GHz, 512/30/Combo, $499.95
- 12" iBook G4/1.2 GHz, 512/30/Combo, $579.95
- PowerBook Pismo G3/400, 128/6/DVD, $299.99
- PowerBook Pismo G3/500, 128/6/DVD, $349.99
$50 rebate on Power Max MP3 Sunglasses with the purchase of any new or refurbished Mac.
- refurb 15" PowerBook G4/1.5 GHz, 512/80/Combo, APX, $1,049
- refurb 15" PowerBook G4/1.5 GHz, 512/80/SD, APX, $1,099
- refurb 17" PowerBook G4/1.67 GHz, 512/100/SD, APX, $1,299
- Apple Emate 300 PDA - Touch Screen in great working shape - $59.99
- 12" iBook G4/1 GHz, 512/30/CD, APX, OS X, $499
- iBook 500 128/10 gig/CD OS X - $209
- iBook 500 128/30 gig/CD OS X - $279
- iBook 600 MHz 128/30/CD OS X - $329
For deals on current and discontinued 'Books, see our 13" MacBook and MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, 13" MacBook Pro, 15" MacBook Pro, 17" MacBook Pro, 12" PowerBook G4, 15" PowerBook G4, 17" PowerBook G4, titanium PowerBook G4, iBook G4, PowerBook G3, and iBook G3 deals.
Links for the Day
- Mac of the Day: PowerBook 145, introduced 1992.08.03. About 70% faster than the 140, the 25 MHz 145 was quite a value.
- Support Low End Mac
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ