PowerBook Duo 2300c
- Got a PowerBook? Join our PowerBooks Group.
- Got a PowerBook Duo? Join the Duo/2400Talk List.
- Our Mac OS 9 Group is for anyoneusing Mac OS 9, either natively or in Classic Mode.
The PB Duo 2300c was Apple's only PowerBook Duo based on aPowerPC CPU.
- introduced 8/28/95; discontinued
- requires System 7.1.1 through 9.1
- CPU: 100 MHz PPC 603e
- performance: unknown
- RAM: 8 or 20 MB, expandable to 56 MB
- ROM: 2 MB
- hard drive: 750 MB or 1.1 GB
- display: 640 x 480 9.5" 85 ppi active matrix with 8-bit color (16-bitcolor at 640 x 400)
- ADB port: only with dock
- SCSI port: HDI30 connector on dock
- serial: 1 DIN-8 RS-422 port on back of computer
- proprietary modem slot
- Gestalt ID: 118
- Size (HxWxD): 1.5" x 10.9" x 8.5"
- weight: 4.8 pounds
- power supply: M4174
- Best classic MacOS deals. Best online prices for System 6, 7.1, 7.5.x, Mac OS 7.6,8.0, 8.1, 8.5, 9.0, 9.2.2, and other versions.
- Low End Mac'sCompleat Guide to Mac OS 9, 2008 edition, Charles Moore,Miscellaneous Ramblings, 2008.05.12. Declared dead by Steve Jobs 6years ago, Mac OS 9 remains fast and stable, but Classic softwarehasn't kept up with Web changes. What Macs support OS 9, where to buyit, and how to update to version 9.2.2.
- PowerBook Duo and DuoDockproblems, no TPM on most Intel Macs, iTunes for Linux, and more,Dan Knight, Low End Mac Mailbag, 2008.07.17. Also a Mac mini thatdisplays some Web images in grayscale, vintage Mac desktop patterns,where to sell a used Mac, dithered images, and more.
- Environmentallyresponsible retirement for old Macs, Rick Lawson, Pioneers in MacDevelopment, 2008.06.13. After you've scavenged what useful parts youcan from your old Mac, what's the most environmentally friendly way todispose of the rest?
- The Duo Dock Tick of DeathPage, Sean Cleary. Duo Docks can fail, refusing to accept or ejecta PowerBook Duo. Here's how to fix it.
- What's thebest Mac OS for your iBook, PowerBook, or MacBook?, Charles Moore,'Book Value, 2008.08.19. Tips on choosing the best OS for yourPowerBook 500 Series or newer Mac notebook.
- Mac 'Book powermanagement adventures, Charles Moore, 'Book Value, 2009.05.19. Ifyour 'Book won't power up, shuts down while your working, or has otherpower issues, resetting its internal power manager may clear thingsup.
- Golden Apples: The25 best Macs to date, Michelle Klein-Häss, Geek Speak,2009.01.27. The best Macs from 1984 through 2009, including a couplethat aren't technically Macs.
- Why youshould partition your Mac's hard drive, Dan Knight, Mac Musings,2008.12.11. "At the very least, it makes sense to have a secondpartition with a bootable version of the Mac OS, so if you haveproblems with your work partition, you can boot from the 'emergency'partition to run Disk Utility and other diagnostics."
- Every workingcomputer is useful to someone, Allison Payne, The Budget Mac,2008.11.19. Whether it's a PowerBook 1400, G3 iMac, or Power Mac G4, itcould be all the computer someone needs.
- The last MDD Power Mac, Windowsdeath spiral, thoughts on improving keyboard design, and more, DanKnight, Low End Mac Mailbag, 2008.07.29. Also restoring a ticking DuoDock, Compact Flash as a Solid State Drive, Psystar's legal troubles,and bargains galore.
- The compressed airkeyboard repair, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings,2008.07.24. If your keyboard isn't working as well as it once did,blasting under the keys with compressed air may be the cure.
- Hooked by aPowerBook Duo, Walker Quine, My First Mac, 2008.01.25. Receiving aPowerBook Duo 2300 with Mac OS 8 was enough to hook the author - andget almost his entire family using Macs.
- MacBookAir: Return of the PowerBook Duo?, Robert Alpizar, Marketing theMac, 2008.10.29. Like the PowerBook Duo, the MacBook Air is the idealfield computer, but it needs a lot more features when its on yourdesk.
- Solving Macstartup problems, Adam Rosen, Adam's Apple, 2007.12.12. When yourold Mac won't boot, the most likely culprits are a dead PRAM battery ora failed (or failing) hard drive.
- Better and safer surfing withInternet Explorer and the Classic Mac OS, Max Wallgren, Mac Daniel,2007.11.06. Tips on which browsers work best with different Mac OSversions plus extra software to clean cookies and caches, detectviruses, handle downloads, etc.
- Apple's first subnotebooks: ThePowerBook Duo family and the PowerBook 2400c, Charles Moore,Miscellaneous Ramblings, 2007.09.04. With rampant rumors of asubnotebook MacBook Pro, it's a good time to look back at Apple'searlier attempts at subnotebook computers.
- Mac System 7.5.5 can do anythingMac OS 7.6.1 can, Tyler Sable, Classic Restorations,2007.06.04. Yes, it is possible to run Internet Explorer 5.1.7 andSoundJam with System 7.5.5. You just need to have all the updates -and make one modification for SoundJam.
- Silence is golden: Runningyour existing notebook using flash memory, Dan Knight, Low EndMac Reviews, 2007.05.23. With a new adapter from Addonics, you canreplace your laptop's IDE hard drive inexpensively and bootsilently from a Compact Flash card.
- Appearance Manager allowsInternet Explorer 5.1.7 to work with Mac OS 7.6.1, MaxWallgren, Mac Daniel, 2007.05.23. Want a fairly modern browser withan old, fast operating system? Mac OS 7.6.1 plus the AppearanceManager and Internet Explorer may be just what you want.
- Format any drive for older Macswith patched Apple tools, Tyler Sable, Classic Restorations,2007.04.25. Apple HD SC Setup and Drive Setup only work with Applebranded hard drives - until you apply the patches linked to thisarticle.
- First Blu-ray drive for Apple's'Books, replace notebook hard drive with Compact Flash, andmore, The 'Book Review, 2007.04.13. Also 160 GB 7200 rpm harddrives, upgrading from a MacBook Pro to a MacBook, Waterfield'sflexible new Sling bag, bargain 'Books from $170 to $1,699, andmore.
- System 7 Today, advocates ofApple's 'orphan' Mac OS 7.6.1, Tommy Thomas, Welcome toMacintosh, 2006.10.26. Why Mac OS 7.6.1 is far better for 68040 andPowerPC Macs than System 7.5.x.
- 30 days of old school computing:Increasing battery life with a RAM disk, Ted Hodges, VintageMac Living, 2006.09.14. When using the hard drive, the old batteryran out of juice within 30 minutes, but running from a RAM disk itstill has a 50% charge after half an hour.
- Mac OS 8 and 8.1: Maximum size,maximum convenience, Tyler Sable, Classic Restorations,2006.09.11. Mac OS 8 and 8.1 add some useful new features andtools, and it can even be practical on 68030-based Macs.
- Inside your notebook's battery:Ordinary AA Li-Ion cells, Dan Knight, Mac Musings, 2006.09.08.That expensive battery in your notebook computer probably holdsless than $30 worth of off-the-shelf AA Li-Ion batteries.
- Customizing Mac OS 9,Nathan Thompson, Embracing Obsolescence, 2006.08.01. Fiddling withthemes, picking a browser, and making the Classic Mac OS work justthe way you want it to.
- Compact Flash with SCSI Macs, PB1400 CD-RW upgrade problems, and Web incompatibilities, DanKnight, Low End Mac Mailbag, 2006.06.16. Suggested ways to useCompact Flash with vintage Macs and PowerBooks, problems gettingCD-RW to work with a PowerBook 1400, and more thoughts on websiteincompatibilities.
- System 7.6.1 is perfect formany older Macs, John Martorana, That Old Mac Magic,2006.03.24. Want the best speed from your old Mac? System 7.6.1 cangive you that with a fairly small memory footprint - also helpfulon older Macs.
- System 7.5 and Mac OS 7.6: Thebeginning and end of an era, Tyler Sable, Classic Restorations,2006.02.15. System 7.5 and Mac OS 7.6 introduced many new featuresand greater modernity while staying within reach of most earlyMacintosh models.
- Web browser tips for theclassic Mac OS, Nathan Thompson, Embracing Obsolescence,2006.01.03. Tips on getting the most out of WaMCom, Mozilla,Internet Explorer, iCab, Opera, and WannaBe using the classic MacOS.
- The best browsers for PowerPCMacs and the classic Mac OS, Nathan Thompson, EmbracingObsolescence, 2005.12.16. Two browsers stand out from the pack: iCab 3 ismodern and remains under development, and WaMCom brings Mozilla toolder Macs.
- Why you should use Mac OS 7.6 toget the most out of vintage Macs, Thomas Ahart, The ProductiveMac, 2005.12.12. Although you may be able to run OS 8 or 9 on yourold Mac, you'll generally find better performance using Mac OS7.6.
- SCSI and FireWire Disk Modes,Paulo Rodrigues, Tangerine Fusion, 2000.11.29. How to use SCSI DiskMode and FireWire Target Disk Mode for ultrafast filetransfers.
- PowerBook history, AdamRobert Guha, Apple Archive, 2000.05.12. A history of portable Macsfrom 1989 through 1996.
- How toupgrade your DuoDock, Power-Macintosh. Includes lots of helpfulphotos.
- Recovering a stolenPowerBook, The 'Book Page. One user'sexperience.
- PowerBook Duo2300 memory pricing, ramseeker
- PowerBookDuo/2400 List
- PowerBooks emaillist
- Apple Specs for PowerBookDuo 2300c/100
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ