PowerBook, perhaps the best name ever given to a notebook computer.
Titanium PB G4
12″ Aluminum PB G4
15″ Aluminum PB G4
17″ Aluminum PB G4
- Guide to G3 PowerBooks
- Guide to TiBooks
- Rage at Being Left Behind, Dan Knight, Mac Musings, 2001.12.24. It’s official – Apple doesn’t plan to support graphics acceleration for any Mac with ATI Rage video. That includes the WallStreet and Lombard.
- Recall: PowerBook G3 AC Adapter Exchange Program. Most WallStreet and Lombard AC adapters recalled. See Apple’s page for details.
- FireWire ‘Flames Out’ on PowerBooks, Bare Feats, 2001.05.03. “The sustained data transfer speed on the PowerBook and iBook is much lower than any desktop model of Macintosh including iMacs and older Power Macs.”
- OS X Graphics Speedup with Early ATI Video, 2001.03.09. PowerBook G3 Series and Lombard are faster when displaying thousands of colors, but not millions.
- Shot in the Foot Again: Firmware Update Disables RAM, Dan Knight, Mac Musings, 3/25. “…we should not be at risk of losing some or all of the memory in our Macs because of a firmware update.”
- SCSI and FireWire Disk Modes, Paulo Rodrigues, Tangerine Fusion, 2000.11.29. How to use SCSI Disk Mode and FireWire Target Disk Mode for ultrafast file transfers.
- Now There Are Two, but Do Processor Upgrades for G3 Series PowerBooks Make Sense?, Charles W. Moore, MacOpinion, 10/24. There is no easy answer.
- Benchmarks: 466 MHz FireWire iBook vs. 400 MHz Pismo PowerBook, Bare Feats, 10/23. Real world tests with iMovie, Cinema 4D, and Bryce.
- There is an incompatibility between the Kensington Startup ADB extension (part of Kensington MouseWorks) and the Trackpad control in Mac OS 9.0.4. The trackpad will respond during boot, but not after the extension loads. The solution is to disable the extension. This may apply to other versions of Mac OS 9 on ‘Books with USB ports.
- New iBook vs. PowerBook: The Real Deal, Ben Apple, Mac Junkie, 9/14. “What we have here is a genuine knockout, and iBook is the champ.”
- PowerBook Processor Upgrade SuperGuide, PBCentral, 8/7.
- Wide Selection of PowerBook Drive Upgrades, Charles W. Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings, 8/3. Lots of options available, even for older PowerBooks that use SCSI hard drives.
- Interware 400 MHz G3 for PowerBook 2400c, Jake Juck, 7/17 [PBS]. Almost double the speed of NUpower 240 MHz G3 upgrade and five times faster than original 180 MHz 603e.
- PowerBook 1400 Battery Price Guide, Martin Trautmann [PBS].
- Peek at first PowerBook G3 upgrades from Newer, Go2Mac.com, 7/27/00. 466 MHz card will upgrade almost all WallStreet models, all Lombards.
- Recovering a Stolen PowerBook, The ‘Book Page. One user’s experience.
- RAM Disks and Why You Should Trash Your Hard Drive, Charles W Moore, Applelinks, 11/29. “I used to run my PowerBook 5300 off a RAM disk most of the time in blissful silence….”
- Why Your PowerBook Won’t Go to Sleep, Info Alley
- PowerBooks Email List
- PowerBook Duo/2400 List
- ResetPwrMgr, freeware. Resets the power manager on PowerBooks, which sometimes gets messed up. Forces restart, so quit all apps before using. Only works with PB 1400 and earlier models.
- Use a PPC PowerBook? Consider joining the PowerBooks email list.
- RAM Charger from Jump Development ($40) lets you get the most out of your RAM. By launching applications using the minimum amount of memory they need, RAM Charger lets you run more programs. It also works well with RAM Doubler. You can even download a demo.