Troubleshooting Your Mac Index
Yes, Macs are the greatest computers ever. Yes, they can be as stable as any personal computer made. Yes, they're very reliable.
But Murphy's Law still applies: If something can go wrong, it will.
Following is a list of problems - and ways to sometimes solve them. Tips for specific programs are below them.
- I upgraded my memory past 8 MB, but a bunch of it seems to be missing.
- I just installed a new program or upgraded an old program. Now my Mac bombs on startup.
- My Mac forgets it's on a network.
- My Mac and mouse are very sluggish.
- My Mac comes up in black & white.
- My Mac thinks its 1956 (or 1904).
- How can I force my Mac to boot from a different hard drive?
- I get a gray screen and pointer, but that's all.
- I can't read this floppy in one Mac, but it works just fine in my other Mac.
- My Mac won't play any sounds.
- My System always crashes.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ