MacWorks sold these unauthorized (by Apple) Mac OS-compatibles primarily in the North American market. Many were sold with G3 CPUs instead of their original PPC 604 and 604e CPUs.
- Got a multiprocessor pre-G3 Mac or clone? Join LEM’s Old Mac MP Group.
- Got a PCI Power Mac? Join our PCI PowerMacs Group.
- introduced 1997.11.01; discontinued sometime in early to mid 1998 as MacWorks depleted inventory
- requires System 7.5.3 through 9.1
- CPU: 132 MHz PPC 604, 150-233 MHz 604e, dual 200 MHz 604e, 307 and 325* MHz G3 on daughter card
* overclocked G3/275 and G3/300 processors, respectively
- Bus: 40-50 MHz
- RAM: 16 MB, expandable to 1,536 MB using 12 DIMM slots, accepts 60 ns 168-pin DIMMs
- Video: PCI video card
- L2 cache: 512 KB
- Hard drive: user configured
- CD-ROM: 8x SCSI drive
- ADB: 1 port for keyboard and mouse
- two miniDIN-8 GeoPorts on back of computer
- SCSI: DB-25 connector on back of computer
- PCI slots: 6
- Height: 21.0 in
- Width: 8.5 in
- Depth: 22.0 in
- Weight: 50 lbs
- PRAM battery: 3.6V half-AA
Accelerators & Upgrades
- SATA and PCI Power Macs: No OS X joy, but you can boot OS 9, Nathan Thompson, Embracing Obsolescence, 2006.11.17. Weeks of experimention find that while you can’t seem to boot a pre-G3 Power Mac into OS X from a SATA hard drive, you can at least boot OS 9 from it.
- Musings on low-end SATA cards in PCI Power Macs, Nathan Thompson, Embracing Obsolescence, 2006.11.06. Thoughts on why the inexpensive SATA card might almost work in a pre-G3 PCI Power Mac.
- Old Power Macs and SATA not a marriage made in heaven, Nathan Thompson, Embracing Obsolescence, 2006.11.03. The PCI SATA card said blue & white G3 or newer and Mac OS 8.6 or later, but maybe it would work in an older pre-G3 Power Mac….
- System 7 Today, advocates of Apple’s ‘orphan’ Mac OS 7.6.1, Tommy Thomas, Welcome to Macintosh, 2006.10.26. Why Mac OS 7.6.1 is far better for 68040 and PowerPC Macs than System 7.5.x.
- Preparing your PCI Power Mac for Linux, Larry Stotler, Linux on the Low End, 2006.07.26. How powerful a CPU do you need? How much memory? Do you need a faster drive controller? Are some video cards better than others?
- Getting the Mac digital jukebox up and running, Nathan Thompson, Embracing Obsolescence, 2006.05.08. Connecting your PowerPC Mac to your rstereo and remote control options for running a headless digital audio jukebox.
- System 7.6.1 is perfect for many older Macs, John Martorana, That Old Mac Magic, 2006.03.24. Want the best speed from your old Mac? System 7.6.1 can give you that with a fairly small memory footprint – also helpful on older Macs.
- Web browser tips for the classic Mac OS, Nathan Thompson, Embracing Obsolescence, 2006.01.03. Tips on getting the most out of WaMCom, Mozilla, Internet Explorer, iCab, Opera, and WannaBe using the classic Mac OS.
- The best browsers for PowerPC Macs and the classic Mac OS, Nathan Thompson, Embracing Obsolescence, 2005.12.16. Two browsers stand out from the pack: iCab 3 is modern and remains under development, and WaMCom brings Mozilla to older Macs.
- How Big a Hard Drive Can I Put in My iMac, eMac, Power Mac, PowerBook, or iBook?, Dan Knight, Mac Daniel, 2005.10.24. A lot of older Macs don’t know how to deal with drives over 128 GB in size. We look at three options.
- Sonata SD, Sonnet Tech, 2004.06.01. First new PCI video card for the Mac in ages sells for just US$99, supports OS 7.5.3 and later plus OS X 10.1.5 and later, works with VGA or old Mac monitors, 16 MB VRAM.
- Review: DayStar Genesis MP 800+, Umax SuperMac S900/250 DP RAID, ZDnet.
- Review: DayStar Genesis MP 800, Exec PC.
- Multiprocessing and DayStar, PC Magazine Online
- Caution: All four processors do not run when using Photoshop 5.0 or E, Adobe, 2/26/99. You must remove the Adobe MP plug-in to allow DayStar’s to function.
- Millennium, Daystar
- DayStar Millennium, Every Mac
- Millennium 604/132, Every Mac
- Millennium 604e/150, Every Mac
- Millennium 604e/166, Every Mac
- Millennium 604e/200, Every Mac
- Millennium 604e/233, Every Mac
- Millennium 604e/400 (dual processor), Every Mac
- Millennium G3/307, Every Mac
- Millennium G3/325, Every Mac
- Service: Star-Teck
Keywords: #daystarmillennium #daystardigital
Short link: http://goo.gl/XZzYGw