2012/charles-moore-picks-up-a-new-low-end-truck/ src="../pb2/lombard.gif" alt="PowerBook G3 (Lombard)" width= "135" height="170" align="bottom" />
May 11 in Low End Mac History
- Fixing and preventing hard drive crashes, Evan Kleiman, Mac Happens. "After many tests, they told me that I would need to erase my hard drive. So I did, but this was a quite tedious task. I tried to find a faster way, and I did."
- Macintosh sound: The great and the pedestrian, Paulo Rodrigues, Tangerine Fusion. The iMac DV has stunning sound, so why does the G4 has such a pathetic sound system?
- Gaming on '030s, Brian Rumsey, Low End Mac Gaming. There's still some life in those old '030s - and upgrades can be quite reasonable.
- Macintosh 'Love Bug' virus, Anne Onymus, The Rumor Mill. It's been a week since the LoveLetter worm attacked Windows systems. Über-hacker Jeeves Stob explains why the Mac is not a popular virus target.
- Macs keep going and going, Adam Robert Guha, Apple Archive. How Macs end up saving money on the long term.
- Keep the Mac off your network, Jeff Adkins, The Lite Side. A strategy guide for IT directors.
- Finding SyQuest drivers, Michel Munger, Mac Daniel. SyQuest drivers are back online - but you might want to consider FWB Hard Disk Toolkit instead.
- Mini optical mouse for laptop users, new iBook keyboard layout, bargain 'Books, and more, Charles Moore. Bargain 'Books, new iBook keyboard and hard drive, mini optical mouse, SmartDisk accessories for TiBook, more.
- The used Power Mac G4 value equation, Mark T Hooker, My Turn. The Mac mini completely changes the used Power Mac G4 value equation.
- Benchmarking Tiger vs. Panther, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. While Macworld is revising their benchmarks for Tiger, other sites are comparing performance of OS X 10.3 and 10.4.
- Mac OS X freeware I wouldn't want to be without, and free tech support for OS X, Beverly Woods, Acoustic Mac. Four very useful free OS X utilities and a free source for OS X tech support.
- Why I will probably buy another Mac, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. OSnews' "alcibiades" says he'll probably never buy another Mac. As someone who uses a computer to be productive, I can't see going any other way.
- The Low End Mac value equation, Matthew Jay, My Turn. Value usually means picking a Mac "that's not quite cutting edge but still gets the job done and saves money."
- Intel Core 2 Duo to ship in July, can a Power Mac replacement be far behind?, The Macintel Report. Intel rebrands "Conroe" and "Merom" as Core 2 Duo, and the debate over Apple's motivation behind Boot Camp continues.
- iPod/iTunes could use cell phone network, French propose less restrictive DRM law, and more, iPod News Review. Also the new JBL Radial iPod speaker system, the first Bluetooth adapter for the iPod nano, and software to convert WMA, ASF, and WMV files to formats the iPod can use.
- LED backlight coming to MacBooks, Intel's new Centrino CPUs, Danish iBook G4 complaint, and more, The 'Book Review. Also different drive sizes, manganese could double battery life, using a MacBook with the display turned off, bargain 'Books from $170 to $2,299, and more.
- Apple ramps up distribution, future of the Mac mini, a fast and free word processor, and more, Mac News Review. Also the NeoOffice option, Miglia TVMax+, OS X keyboard shortcuts, PowerLogix CPU Director updated, a memory optimizer for OS X, and more.
- 12", 4 pound Averatech N2700 exactly what Apple should be building, Charles Moore, 'Book Value. This lightweight laptop has the power of the MacBook, the footprint of the 12" PowerBook, and a $699 price tag.
- The AC Power Adapter Blues, John Hatchett, Recycled Computing. Between cell phones, notebook computers, and other devices, we're going to bury the world in power adapters.
- SSD RAID in MacBook Pro, MacBooks sweep Consumer Reports, new SSD drives from Imation, and more, The 'Book Review. Also OS X on the Dell Mini 9, MagSafe unsafe?, netbook vs. notebook performance, 8x SuperDrive for older MacBooks, bargain 'Books from $170 to $2,200, and more.
- 6 lessons from a lost iPhone, DIY solar iPod/iPhone charger, Grakl social messaging app, and more, iNews Review. Also Apple changes wet iPhone replacement policy, iPhone 3.0 takes better photos, Bento available for iPhone/iPod touch, Apple tops among smartphone users, and more.
- Mac panic, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. My wife was not happy. She'd double-clicked her Excel budget spreadsheet, but everything looked different after installing Snow Leopard.
- Preview's photo editing tools could be all you need, Charles Moore, Charles Moore's Mailbag. When Apple introduced OS X 10.5 Leopard, it made some big improvements in Preview's image editing capabilities.
- Compact gaming PC costs more than quad-core iMac, Frank Fox, Stop the Noiz. PC Magazine built a compact gaming PC for $1,345 less keyboard, mouse, monitor, and Windows. $1,199 iMac seems a steal.
- Apple May No Longer Support Your Older Mac, but Microsoft Will, Simon Royal, Tech Spectrum. Believe it or not, Windows 7 and 8 can run nicely on Macs than can't run OS X 10.7 or 10.8 at all.
- New iPad Design Apple's Second Choice?, Updated iPad 2 Improves Battery Life, and More, iOS News Review. Also hack improves iPad editing, Netgear Genie printing app, dual tip iPad stylus, recycled iPhone 4/4S case, and more.
- Tablets Out to Kill Laptops, New iPad vs. MacBook Air, $799 MacBook Air This Fall?, and More, The 'Book Review. Also should Apple discontinue the 17" MacBook Air?, 2012 MacBook Pro may include SSD and bigger batteries, and more.
- Safari 5.1.7 and OS X 10.7.4, How Flashback Works, Free Lion Boot Disk Tool, and More, Mac News Review. Also Chrome passes Firefox for #2 spot, use Android with your Mac, Amazon and Microsoft cloud services for Macs, and more.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ