has been writing Apple Archive columns since May 2000. There are the most popular Apple Archive columns of the past 6 years:
- A $25 iMac! It's a steal, but what to do with it?, 2006.07.28. A $25 iMac (less mouse and keyboard) from the local thrift shop was a great find, but what would be the best way to put it to use?
- Which older Macs are good candidates for Tiger?, 2005.05.13. Should you even consider putting OS X 10.4 on a beige G3, tray-loading iMac, clamshell iBook, or PowerBook G3?
- Is the Mac mini as disposable as a low end PC?, 2005.05.20. Entry-level Windows PCs are essentially disposable commodities. Is the Mac mini any different?
- Why a low-end Mac may be all you really need, 2005.07.15. A 2.7 GHz dual processor Power Mac G5 isn't going to play your music any faster or let you write email more efficiently.
- No Virtual PC for the G5? Try WinTel, 2003.09.05. Just because Microsoft may not update Virtual PC for a year doesn't mean G5 owners have been left out in the cold.
- Four years later, Mac OS X is definitely superior to Windows XP, 2005.04.01. Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.0 were both released four years ago. Three major revisions later, OS X has it all over Windows XP, and the next version of Windows is still a year off.
- PowerBook history, 2000.05.12. A history of portable Macs from 1989 through 1996.
- OS X and the beige G3, 2001.12.21. OS X runs decently on a beige G3, but also cripples the floppy drive, printer port, graphics performance....
- Options For '040s, 2000.06.05. Advice about operating systems, upgrades, what Quadra to choose, and more.
- Is it worth putting a G3 in an older Mac?, 2000.11.03. As always, it depends, but sometimes a used Power Mac G3 is the better value.
- Put a PC monitor on your Mac, 2000.10.31. Almost every Mac can work with a PC monitor, although it may need a little help.
- Quadra AVs and some cool things you can do with them, 2001.08.10. Thanks to digital signal processors, the Quadra AVs remain useful video machines.
- PDS Power Macs: Road Apples?, 2000.09.29. These Macs aren't bad, just limited. Here's how to make the most of them.
- Mac vs. PC Platform Passion, Adam Robert Guha, Apple Archive, 2002.07.26. Both Mac and PC users run the range from passion for their computing platform to indifference.
- Laptop keyboards fragile, hard to clean, prone to fail, 2004.10.01. Laptop keyboard use smaller, more fragile parts than desktop keyboards. They can also be much harder to keep clean.
- Upgrading a Power Mac G3 from Mac OS 9 to Panther, 2004.12.04. Is this 1999 Power Mac really up to the task of running OS X or it it too slow to be useful?
- Picking an older Power Mac: Go G4, 2005.04.18. If you plan on running OS X, the G4 processor makes a big difference - and older Power Mac G4s are very affordable these days.
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ