Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
The Intel age has arrived here in the backwoods of New England.
My problems with my 12" PowerBook G4 have been documented (see Death of a PowerBook: Time to Go Intel?) and, as a result, I ordered a used black 13.3" MacBook from Wegener Media. It arrived before Christmas, but I was forbidden by Mrs. Claus to even look at my new computer until Christmas morning.
I spent Christmas doing the normal Christmas things and waited until the next day to recover my data from my PowerBook and get it on the MacBook. Normally, I would use my Time Machine, Apple's backup application, to restore to the MacBook, but I had been in the process of updating my contacts when the PowerBook crashed, so I wanted to migrate the data from the PowerBook to my new MacBook.
Taking apart the PowerBook G4.
The PowerBook was dead, however, so I had to take apart the PowerBook to remove the hard drive. Off comes the keyboard and the top plate, and there is the hard drive.
Inside the PowerBook G4.
Fortunately, I have a hard drive enclosure and was able to place the PowerBook drive in it. I then attached it to the MacBook and ran Migration Assistant to transfer my preferences, files and applications to the MacBook.
Two notebook drives and an enclosure.
I wasn't done, of course. I had to attach my Time Capsule drive and back up the MacBook and update my PowerPC applications to Intel ones. This will probably be an ongoing process as I go to use old applications and discover they are PowerPC instead of Intel.
I like my new computer - it has a matte screen, replaceable battery, replaceable hard drive, and easy to update memory. It can also run the new OS X 10.7 Lion operating system. I'm not ready to move to it yet, but it's nice to be able to. I'm running OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and updating my apps to Intel in anticipation of getting Lion down the road.
The big thing that I like about the MacBook is that it has a black finish. Why? Because I like owning a computer that is different that everyone else's- and there weren't that many black MacBooks.
Nothing is perfect. I need to upgrade the RAM, and I need to get ready to make an upgrade from AppleWorks to Pages. That means that I will have to convert all my old AppleWorks files from .cwk to .doc files.
Progress is nice, but not always easy.
Still, the black MacBook is real cool looking.
Recent Recycled Computing Columns
- Changes, 2012.10.16. A new job has John Hatchett considered something of an iPad expert.
- In Praise of Optical Viewfinders, 2012.07.30. Although modern digital cameras have digital viewscreens, there's something to be said for the traditional viewfinder.
- The Lion Sleeps (on My MacBook) Tonight, 2012.07.05. Starting with a full backup, a Time Machine Backup, and an OS X 10.7 thumb drive, John Hatchett moved to Lion.
- More in the Recycled Computing index.
Links for the Day
- Mac of the Day: PowerBook 5300, introduced 1995.08.25. The first PowerPC PowerBook - known for flaming performance.
- June 20 in LEM history: 00: Synergy time for Apple - 01: Towards equality in the high tech workplace - 02: Real people use Macs for real work - 03: Does Mac/Windows convergence threaten innovation? - 05: No need to worry about switch to Intel - Steve Jobs on living and dying - How Gassée changed the Mac's direction - 08: Mac sales up 50%
- Support Low End Mac
Recent Content on Low End Mac
- World Book Encyclopedia 2012 DVD, Tommy Thomas, Reviews, 2013.03.05. "You may be asking yourself, in an age of Wikipedia and instant information, is World Book still relevant?"
- Vintage Computer Festival SouthEast, April 20-21, 2013, Simon Royal, Mac Spectrum, 2013.02.25. Old Apple gear and old PCs.
- iMessage: The Ultimate Messaging Service?, Simon Royal, Mac Spectrum, 2013.02.21. In most ways, Apple's iMessage is far superior to BlackBerry Messenger.
- More links in our archive.
- Best Mac mini Deals
- Best 13" MacBook Pro Deals
- Best Intel iMac Deals
- Best iPod touch Deals
- Best iPhone Deals
- Best iPod nano Deals
- Best iPod classic Deals
- Best Apple TV Prices
- More deals in our archive.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ