The Low End Mac Mailbag
These mailbag columns share emails received in response to these and other articles published on Low End Mac.
- Joomla and WordPress highly recommended content management systems, 2008.09.09. Low End Mac share their suggestions for a powerful, friendly, WYSIWYG content management system.
- Apple will not abandon optical drives, the Mac drought, purposeful Mac acquisition, and more, 2008.09.04. Also Mac OS X 10.5 on a G4-upgraded Blue & White G3 and problems using a flat panel display with a Quadra 700.
- Save internet radio, USB and hard drives, hardware manufacturers vs. Linux, and more, 2008.09.03. Also Mac won't book after cleaning, newer versions of OS X improve wake from sleep, downgrading to OS 8.6, unreadable pages on Low End Mac, and more.
- Why Linux isn't mainstream, used PowerBooks a poor value, the iMac G3 legacy, and more, 2008.08.19. Also installing Leopard on a PowerPC Mac from an Intel installer, NeoOffice opens WordPerfect files, emulating old Macs, and where to download an iMac manual.
- PCs not like Macs, Claris Home Page fan, iMac G4 upgrade tips, iBook prices, and more, 2008.08.18. Also using PC3200 RAM in a Mirror Drive Door G4, cloning the classic Mac OS to a new hard drive, and thoughts on a Windows App Store.
- Unreliable Macs, future Apple CPUs, replacing a Mac Plus mouse, and more, 2008.08.12. Also Windows Media Player content that doesn't work on Macs, Leopard on a 700 MHz iMac G4, Apple's $99 Pro Care service, and CPU options.
- Non-Intel Mac rumors, G5 iMac power supply failure, Leopard on a 700 MHz eMac, and more, 2008.07.31. Also no 8 GB partition problem for clamshell iBooks, presentations in ClarisWorks, and watching DVDs on an upgraded Power Mac 7600.
- The last MDD Power Mac, Windows death spiral, thoughts on improving keyboard design, and more, 2008.07.29. Also restoring a ticking Duo Dock, Compact Flash as a Solid State Drive, Psystar's legal troubles, and bargains galore.
- PowerBook Duo and DuoDock problems, no TPM on most Intel Macs, iTunes for Linux, and more, 2008.07.17. Also a Mac mini that displays some Web images in grayscale, vintage Mac desktop patterns, where to sell a used Mac, dithered images, and more.
- Snow Leopard and TPM, OS and application commonality, two cents on Linux for Macs, and more, 2008.07.14. Also Apple shouldn't charge $10 for new iPhone/iPod touch OS, Fedora Core 9 recommended, other VHS to Mac options, and vintage Macs everywhere.
- Opera trumps Safari, flashed video cards for Macs, hacking Leopard for G3 Power Macs, and more, 2008.07.11. Also expectations for future MacBooks, more power than expected from a CPU upgrade, ADB and QuickCams, Snow Leopard and PowerPC, and more.
- Debian recommended for older Macs, stunned by no G5 in Snow Leopard, and unsupported Leopard, 2008.07.10. Linux on PowerBooks, Linux desktop alternatives, disappointment that Snow Leopard will be Intel only, and unsupported Leopard on a dual 800 MHz G4.
- Hacked Leopard on G3 Power Macs, flash memory tips, a smelly MacBook Pro keyboard, and more, 2008.07.09. Also moving files between a modern Mac and an eMate, Snow Leopard and PowerPC Macs, getting an iMac up and running, old QuickCam won't work with TiBook, and more.
- Pismo slow running OS X from Compact Flash, Leopard DVD Player on G4 Pismo, and more Linux tips, 2008.06.25. Pismo runs Mac OS 9 quickly from Compact Flash, but OS X is slow. Also how to hack Leopard so DVD Player works in a G4-upgraded Pismo, and more tips on using Linux on Macs.
- PowerPC support in Snow Leopard, Linux growing more user friendly, old Macs never die, and more, 2008.06.24. Also Migration Assistant failure, Toast 6.1 improves burn speed for a Blue and White G3, and working with a G4-upgraded Power Mac 7200.
- Linux still not friendly enough, widescreen and pivoting monitors, Mac 512K restoration, and more, 2008.06.23. Also the utility of Apple's old Studio Displays, questions about ViewPowr video card for PowerBook 1400, and 9-year-old predictions that came true.
- No widescreen display for me, accessing MacWrite files, Fedora Linux for G3 Macs, and more, 2008.06.19. Why monitors need more height, not more width; using MacWrite files, unleashing old Macs with Linux, and using badram to work around bad RAM in LInux.
- Hard drive problems with Rev. 1 Blue & White, can't burn DVDs at 16x, .mac to MobileMe, and more, 2008.06.18. Also 802.11g WiFi and G4 upgrades for slot-loading iMacs, printing to a QMS PC 410 from OS X, and scrolling with a Pismo trackpad.
- iPhone or iPod touch?, more Linux on Macs, Mac resale value, Blue and White frustration, and more, 2008.06.12. The big difference between a $199 iPhone and a $299 iPod touch, more Linux discussion, finding a price for old Macs, troubles with a Blue and White G3, and Leopard on Sawtooth.
- Mac 128K demo, Leopard adequate on unsupported Macs, booting an iMac from a Ubuntu LiveCD, and more, 2008.06.11. Two new unsupported Leopard reports, Linux for PowerPC is far from dead, and Mac OS X trumps Linux and BSD for features and performance.
- PowerPC Linux, old Macs not up to the modern web, new iMac nightmares, and more, 2008.06.10. The state of Linux PPC, the difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu and Xubuntu, BSD better for old Macs than Linux, and teething problems with Leopard on a newly purchased iMac.
- Linux is also leaving PPC Macs Behind, jumping ship for Intel, and hardware problems, 2008.06.05. One problem with using Linux on older Macs is that many distros are dropping support for older CPUs or even the whole PowerPC family.
- Leopard on old Macs, Leopard nightmares, bargain Macs for kids, and more, 2008.06.04. Also getting the right version of Mac OS 9.2.2 for Mirror Drive Door Power Macs, using PC disk images with Macs, and using an ImageWriter II printer with Mac OS X.
- Some G4 Macs not sweet enough for Leopard, low cost notebooks, SE/30 repairs, and more, 2008.06.03. Also upgrading an AGP Power Mac, formerly broken iSub and Time Machine work after 10.5.3 update, and the story behind IBM compatibles.
- Old Macs last and last, removing Mac OS 9, and disposable notebooks, 2008.05.29. Reliable Macs just keep on truckin', removing OS 9 from your OS X Mac, and thoughts on 'disposable' laptop computers.
- Slow Leopard video, G3 iMac to the max, Flash Player 10 Beta improves YouTube, and more, 2008.05.21. Also how to eject a disc that won't mount, notebooks no longer need optical drives, a new key on Apple's USB keyboard, WEP problems with Orinoco Gold, and Microsoft Office on Macs.
- Virtual PC works with Leopard, Intel vs. PowerPC performance, beyond the Mac mini, and more, 2008.05.20. Also upgrading Intel iMacs, Compact Flash in a PowerBook 2400, and thoughts on low-end Macs.
- AirPort Base Stations rock, Sawtooth upgrades, when Leopard is not the way to go, and more, 2008.05.19. Also running PowerBooks from Compact Flash and getting Leopard on Macs with PCI graphics.
- Value of old Power Macs, old computers in school, Panther or Tiger on Pismo, and more, Dan Knight, 2008.05.12. Also new 20" Penry iMac vs. 24" Santa Rosa and great results with a low-cost external SuperDrive.
- More G4 upgrade advice, secure disk wipes, 500 MHz iMacs with Tiger in action, and more, 2008.05.09. The importance of securely clearing your hard drive before you pass on your Mac, Pismo and closed lid mode, G3 iMacs in the classroom, and more thoughts on upgrading G4 Power Macs.
- Dinosaur desktops, lid closed mode, G4 upgrade advice, death of a WallStreet, and more, 2008.05.07. The greening of Apple, benefits of WiFi cards that use AirPort drivers, deleting files from a Performa, drive enclosures, and Leopard on a 466 MHz Power Mac.
- Prosumer Mac suggestions, bring back the 12" 'Book, Pismo displays, and more, 2008.05.06. Readers offer more thoughts on a midrange Mac, the need for a new 12" 'Book, using F-keys as F-keys in OS X, and lid closed video mode for Pismo.
- Macintosh peace of mind, PA Semi and the iPhone, $40 802.11g PCI card, and more, 2008.05.01. Also Power Mac vs. Mac mini, more on DVD User Op Patch, 12" vs. 14" iBook, and VGA for a Power Mac 6100.
- Mac value, the Hackintosh market, unsupported Leopard, and USB 2.0 for older PowerBooks, 2008.04.30. High-end Macs cost less than comparable HPs and Dells, the need for a Mac minitower, a Leopard installation tip, Leopard on an 800 MHz iBook, and which PC Cards work with Mac OS X drivers.
- Overpriced Macs, 4-core Mac Pro value, USB for G3 PowerBooks, and more, 2008.04.24. Also reader feedback on running a keyboard through the dishwasher, tips for using external DVD drives, and 8 GB partition issues with the Classic Mac OS on the beige G3.
- OS X on other hardware, missing midrange Macs, and no Leopard yet on Yikes, 2008.04.23. The pros and cons of Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware, the need for more intermediate models, and the question of OS X 10.5 on the PCI Power Mac G4.
- OS X for PCs, Mac mini with HDTV, 802.11n options, upgrading from Mac OS 9, and more, 2008.04.22. Also reviving a dead PowerBook 5300, Lucida Grande, external FireWire SuperDrive advice, OS X and the DeskWriter, and royalties.
- Mac mini with HDTV, Lucida Grande on Low End Mac, the Open Computer, and more, 2008.04.17. Also using a computer display with HDTV and cleaning your keyboard in the dishwasher.
- HDTV vs. computer monitors, Windows XP vs. Mac OS X, and more, 2008.04.15. Also SynergyKM vs. Teleport, Outlook Express and the classic Mac OS, and Mac OS 9 vs. OS X.
- Intel mini vs. Power Mac, best keyboard ever, uses for old Macs, and more, 2008.04.10. Also using Classic with Intel Macs, problems with Classic Mode, and collective nouns.
- 18-bit video inadequate, restoring AppleWorks speed, Macintosh display info, and more, 2008.04.09. Also problems importing AppleWorks drawings and a damaged, unfixable mail database in Outlook Express 5.
- Outliners for word processing, Mac compatible WiFi cards, iWork disappoints, and more, 2008.03.27. Also running Leopard on a maxed out Digital Audio Power Mac, Clamshell iBook hacks, Lombard external display resolutions, and collective nouns.
- Lean word processing, PowerBook 150 drawbacks, Mac ethernet issues, and more, 2008.03.27. Also thoughts on WordPerfect, Microsoft Word, MacWrite, ClarisWorks, WriteNow, and Bean, and FireWire with modern iPods.
- Rise of the Microsoft monopoly, shafted by Gizmos2go, the end of PowerPC software, and more, 2008.03.25. Also comparing a 2003 PowerBook with a 2005 iBook, Mac ethernet problems, ownership of WordPerfect, and the power of ClarisWorks.
- Intel Mac mini value, best YouTube browser in Tiger, additional Pismo resolutions, and more, 2008.03.19. Also more in iSub incompatibility with Leopard, PC Card compatibility with PowerBooks, and Leopard on 3 more unsupported Power Macs.
- Power Mac G5 vs. Intel Mac mini, video thumbnails lost in migration, OCR software, and more, 2008.03.17. Also HARMONi compatibility with Mac OS X 10.4, a dual processor G4 auction, Internet access by digital phone, and more.
- 2.6 GHz MacBook Pro worth it?, iBook video fixed, Compact Flash vs. SSD, and more, 2008.03.13. Also buying a used Power Mac G4, a Power Mac 7600 still in daily use, OCR software for modern Macs, and Leopard on a Blue and White G3.
- Installing Leopard from an Intel Mac, keyboard layout, and DSLR advice, 2008.03.12. How to install OS X 10.5 to a PowerPC Mac from an Intel one, keyboard layout history, and feedback on digital SLRs.
- Scanners and scanning software, Macs and non-Apple WiFi hardware, midrange Macs, and more, 2008.03.10. Also running a 12" PowerBook from Compact Flash, installing Diablo II on a PowerPC Mac with Leopard, and 30 mistakes switchers make.
- Leopard on a Cube, G4 CPU swap limitations, Power Mac G5 a good choice?, and more, , 2008.03.06. Also looking for a scanner that works with Panther and the hsitory of expansion slots in low-cost Macs.
- Penryn advantages, Leopard on a G4 Cube, scanner advice, upgrading Sawtooth, and more, 2008.03.05. Also why no LED backlight on the new MacBook, Final Cut mostly works with integrated graphics, and Diablo II problems under Leopard.
- Panther faster than Jaguar, unstable browsers, best low cost Mac for video work, and more, 2008.03.04. Also Tiger on tray-loading iMacs, firmware updates, LC 575 won't boot, booting from Compact Flash, and big hard drives on G4 Power Macs.
- Jaguar or Panther on Pismo?, Mac 128K corrections, installing OS X from an iPod, and more, 2008.02.29. Also an old iMac, an optical trackball for ADB Macs, internal or external hard drive for an eMac, and Leopard on a 500 MHz PowerBook G4.
- Megapixels, noise, image quality, and fixing photos in software, 2008.02.27. Also iMac vs. Mac mini, a possible fix for failing optical drives, optical mice for ADB Macs, and where to buy Macs in Philly.
- $18 USB WiFi adapter, AirPort flaw in last gen iBook, SuperDrive failure in MacBook, and more, 2008.02.26. Also DVD-RAM for MacBooks, the quietest MacBook, aluminum PowerBooks and Mac OS 9, and expansion slots in affordable Macs.
- Apple Stores near Philly, iSub works 'most of the time', the Mac vs. PC debate, and more, 2008.02.13. Why Apple doesn't have a store in Philadelphia, iSub issues, looking at used iBooks, and irritating Mac lovers.
- iSub issues with Intel Macs, no Apple Store in Philly, Gainsaver problem, and more, 2008.02.12. Also more on why Macs are better than PCs, a CPU upgrade that doesn't like Tiger, and an unsupported Leopard report on an 800 MHz Quicksilver Power Mac.
- YouTube tips, Mac users who bash Windows, iSub broken in Leopard, and more, 2008.02.11. The importance of expandable computers, ways to improve YouTube viewing on older Macs, frustrating with losing iSub support in OS X 10.5, and Windows bashers.
- 11 reasons to choose Macs? I don't think so, 2008.02.08. Readers weigh in pro and con on 'The top 11 reasons to choose Macs over PCs'.
- Microsoft's plans for Yahoo, dead pixels, YouTube on old Macs, and more, 2008.02.06. Also hard drive upgrade advice for a notebook computer, Apple's USB ethernet adapter, Loepard on another Digital Audio G4, and thoughts on Low End Mac's latest logo.
- 3 ways to better YouTube viewing on older Macs, 2008.02.06. Watching YouTube videos in your browser on G3 Macs can be painfully slow, but there are several ways to improve your YouTube viewing experience.
- Better YouTube viewing on older Macs, too many dead pixels, Safari problems in Panther, and more, 2008.02.05. Also picking the right used G4 iBook, Quartz Extreme support for PCI video, problems with Mac OS 9.x on G4 Power Macs, open firmware problems with 667 MHz PowerBook, and more.
- WWDC Leopard on upgraded Beige G3, PowerBook vs. iBook, Leopard on an 800 MHz iBook G4, and more, 2008.01.30. Also MacBook Air points to future notebooks, iPod and iPhone coverage on Low End Mac, changes in Xbench scores, and help with a Mac Classic.
- MacBook Air and the future of FireWire, crippled by iTunes 7.6, Panther on an 8600, and more, 2008.01.28. Also problems with GainSaver, who's on first?, inflated Power Mac benchmarks, and Leopard on an 800 MHz iBook G4.
- Maybe no to MacBook Air drive upgrade, MS customer support, and Leopard on an eMac, 2008.01.25. MacBook Air may be limited to 5mm thin hard drives, Office: 2008 upgrade orders, external SuperDrive only works with MacBook Air, and Leopard on a 700 MHz eMac.
- Adding keyboard shortcuts in OS X, Pismo vs. MacBook Air, horrid Microsoft customer support, and more, 2008.01.24. Also the MacBook Air is not for power users, MBA SuperDrive and the MacBook, unsupported Leopard on an 800 MHz iMac G4, and putting an ATX motherboard in a G4 case.
- More crumbling Macs, good news about MacBook Air storage, WiFi options for Classic Mac OS, and more, 2008.01.23. Also reconsidering the MacBook Air, sometimes USB 2.0 cables are better, Mac switcher mistakes, Intel Mac mini or PowerBook G4, and more.
- MacBook Air vs. ThinkPad X300, moving from MacBook to PowerBook, USB 2.0 cables, and more, 2008.01.22. Also another crumbling G3 iMac, a Rev. B iMac brought back from the dead, 'fencing in' type in HTML, and Leopard on an AGP Power Mac G4.
- Early obsolescence and the MacBook Air, free Mac antivirus software, recent AAPL price drop, and more, 2008.01.21. Also MacBook Air vs. Windows competitors, cost of MBA battery in Europe, can new Mac Pro Run Tiger?, iCab, and Leopard on a Digital Audio Power Mac.
- MacBook Air a Road Apple?, beautiful Macquarium, a Compact Flash to SCSI adapter, and more, 2008.01.18. Also problems with a D-Link USB WiFi adapter, hi-def iTunes movie resolution, MacBook Air whiners, and another Pismo lover.
- MacBook Air disappoints, adding ethernet, Remote Disc, and more, 2008.01.17. Comparing the MacBook with the 12" PowerBook G4 and the PowerBook 2400, it's not a desktop replacement, and Apple profits.
- Too few USB ports in too many Macs, developer Leopard ran on Yikes, Mac IIfx RAM heaven, and more, 2008.01.16. Also Macworld Expo disappoints, Pismo a great field computer, using flash memory in vintage Macs, and Word vs. Pages for academic writing.
- Leopard almost running on Beige G3, Word vs. Pages, overclocking an eMac, and more, 2008.01.14. Also Compact Flash and the PowerBook 190, beige G3 that won't boot Mac OS 8.1, Google less than completely Mac friendly, and AirPort drivers.
- Digital vs. film photography, megapixel myths, G3/G4 SuperDrive upgrade, and a newly acquired Mac Classic, 2008.01.11. The differences between film and digital photography, the value of old 35mm SLRs, the importance of good lenses, a $50 18x dual-layer SuperDrive, and writing on a Mac Classic.
- Keeping G3 Macs from becoming ewaste, my other Mac is a Pismo, and thoughts on a midrange desktop Mac, 2008.01.10. G3 iMacs are too useful to be stripped for recycling, Pismo still a great field computer, and thoughts on additional desktop Macs Apple could add to the line.
- Lawsuits getting out of hand, G3 iMac upgrade resources, Leopard on a 400 MHz TiBook, and more, 2008.01.08. Also wondering why Mac OS X 10.5 won't run on the 'Yikes!' Power Mac G4 and AltiVec just works.
- Unpartitioned FireWire iBook, Mac IIfx SIMMs, Compact Flash in a PowerBook 1400, and more, 2008.01.04. Also another unsupported Leopard field reports and details on the iPhone Terms of Service with AT&T.
- 512 MB in tray-loading iMacs, partitioning iBook (FireWire) hard drive, value of Kanga, and more, 2008.01.03. Also a source for Mac IIfx SCSI terminators, ongoing problems with a Rev. B iMac, and need to match screen size to printed output.
- Menu bar opacity and translucency in Leopard, better Rage video in Leopard, and more, 2008.01.02. Also why GeForce 5200 may be a good choice, USB webcams work with iChat in 10.4.9 and later, and moving some files to a new Mac.
- GeForce startup delay in Leopard solved, transclucent menu bar tied to CPU speed, and more, 2007.12.24. Also why GeForce 5200 may not be a good choice, LeopardAssist automates unsupported installs, dual G4 Power Mac misreports CPU speed, and using a USB webcam with iChat.
- Flash drive reliability, going back to Tiger, Classic emulation, and more, 2007.12.19. Also looking for good video card options for use with Leopard on older Macs, and one more unsupported Leopard report.
- Better Classic emulation, Leopard on any G3?, CardBus and Compact Flash, and more, 2007.12.18. Also where to find even older versions of BBEdit Lite, more oddball Mac video connections, installing System 7 on a PowerBook with no install disks, and lockups when faking out the Leopard installer.
- OS X on Flash in CardBus, Quartz Extreme benefits, fix or unload a Performa 550, and more, 2007.12.13. Also suggestions for fixing a troublesome iMac, locating an ADB keyboard, finding old versions of BBEdit Lite, and dealing with ligature problems.
- iMac Rev. B nightmares, thousands vs. millions of colors performance, and unsupported Leopard, 2007.12.11. Problems restoring a Rev. B iMac, color depth and graphics performance, and more unsupported Leopard reports.
- 8 GB partition issue impacts OS 9, RAM for G3 iMacs, success with Open Firmware hack, and more, 2007.12.10. Partitions over 8 GB can cause problems in the classic Mac OS, more unsupported Leopard reports, another vote against the iPhone, and millions vs. thousands of colors.
- Weak AirPort Extreme, Open Firmware hack, deleting old Systems, and spacing problems in Pages, 2007.12.07. Fixing a weak signal in AirPort Extreme, thoughts on the Open Firmware Leopard install hack, when it's safe to delete an old System, and line spacing issues in Pages.
- From the familiarity of Windows to the power of Mac, why 867 MHz for Leopard, and more, 2007.12.05. Also the DAV connector on the Power Mac 8600, really old Mac System software, Aperture and vampire video, using an ImageWriter printer with USB, and more.
- Mac approaching 25th birthday, OS 8 on Performa 630, Mac Classics in use 24/7, and more, 2007.12.04. Also more thoughts on vampire video, realigning the Road Apple label, the fate of DropStuff, and an unidentified cable in a Power Mac 8600.
- Leopard on a G3 iMac (with a G4 upgrade), flashed video card problems, the cheapest G4 Mac, and More, 2007.12.03. More unsupported Leopard reports point to the importance of a good video card, success on a CRT iMac with a G4/550 upgrade, and whether Sawtooth or Quicksilver is a better buy.
- Pros and cons of vampire video, another way to install Leopard, looking for EasyShare, and more,2007.11.29. More details on integrated graphics, going G4 on the cheap, more unsupported Leopard reports, the death of DropStuff, and more.
- Problem with Leopard on a MDD, the Road Apple label, bubble ads, and more, 2007.11.20. Problems getting a Mirror Drive Door G4 to boot Leopard, Mac mini and the Road Apple label, problems with SCSI and Compact Flash, and more thoughts on contextual ads.
- Mac mini value, reuse the best recycling, and more unsupported Leopard reports, 2007.11.19. More protest of the Road Apple label for the Mac mini, the best form of recycling is reuse, and Mac OS X 10.5 on additional unsupported hardware.
- Overheating Mac minis, 'Road Apple' label reconsidered, eMac repair extension, and more, 2007.11.16. Also why the Mac mini is a wonderful computer, more Leopard on unsupported Macs, and contextual ads on Low End Mac.
- G4 Mac mini not a Road Apple, big drive support in Leopard?, leaking capacitors, and more, 2007.11.15. Why the original Mac mini shouldn't be considered a Road Apple, maximum Power Mac RAM, a dual 933 MHz G4 upgrade, and more.
- Leopard problems with GeForce graphics, on eMacs and Power Macs, and more, 2007.11.14. More success running Mac OS X 10.5 on iMacs, eMacs, Power Macs, and PowerBooks. Also failures with a Cube and a Blue and White G3 with a G4 upgrade.
- Beyond Google, 10 years on the G3, the Cube is not a Road Apple, and more, 2007.11.13. Also the 64-bit advantage of Core 2, OS 9 on a USB flash drive, sound problems since switching to Leopard, and 7200 rpm in an eMac.
- Leopard running on a dual 533 MHz Power Mac, DVD Player, and Quicksilver Road Apples, 2007.11.09. Success with OS X 10.5 on a 533 MHz Dual Power Mac, why some Quicksilver Power Macs could be Road Apples, and sorting out DVD Player in Leopard.
- The G4 Power Mac that won't run Leopard, more OS X 10.5 success stories, and Pismo tips, 2007.11.08. A dual 533 MHz Digital Audio Power Mac that refuses to boot Leopard, other unsupported Macs that do run it, and suggestions for improving a Pismo running OS X 10.5.
- Refurb 17" Intel iMac deals, PowerBook 540 on Compact Flash, Newton as a mobile phone, and more, 2007.11.07. Also PCI cards for older Macs, no such thing as a 933 MHz Digital Audio Power Mac, Mac OS longevity, and prospects for XPostFacto 5.
- Leopard with 384 MB RAM, on a PowerBook G4/550, benchmarked, and more, 2007.11.06. Leopard on Digital Audio, Quicksilver, and Sawtooth Power Macs. Questions on CPU load in OS X 10.5 and whether beige G3s and PCI Power Macs might run it.
- Leopard on Pismo, how Apple thinks different, a universal Leopard boot drive, and more, 2007.11.05. More Mac OS X 10.5 field reports on unsupported and barely supported hardware, including problems with the 867 MHz 12" PowerBook G4.
- Happy with my G3s, plus Leopard on eMacs, G4 iMacs, G4 PowerBooks, and the G4 iBook, 2007.11.02. A reminder of the happiness found sticking with older versions of the Mac OS on G3 Macs, plus field reports of Leopard running on even more unsupported G4 Macs.
- Best AGP Mac video card, Leopard on 667 MHz PowerBook G4 and 'Sawtooth' Power Macs, and more, 2007.11.01. Also questions about booting a Pismo PowerBook from Compact Flash in a PCMCIA reader and whether Leopard might run in a G4-upgraded Power Mac 7500 or G3.
- Unsupported Leopard reports: Sawtooth, Mystic, Digital Audio, Quicksilver, and TiBook success, 2007.10.31. Readers report that Leopard can be installed for PowerPC Macs from Intel Macs. Also success stories for AGP, Gigabit Ethernet, Digital Audio, Quicksilver, and a 400 MHz PowerBook G4.
- CF in a clamshell iBook, Leopard on a 400 MHz AGP Power Mac, VGA ports on Macs, and more, 2007.10.30. Also graphics card options for AGP Power Macs, KompoZer and Claris Home Page, installing Mac OS 8.6, and Zune price drop.
- eMac virtual screen solution, PowerBook 3400 problem, IBM Model M and the Mac, and more, Dan Knight, 2007.10.26. Also G4 iMacs inspire lust, TrueType fonts and vintage Macs, deinterlacing DVDs, and Allegro USB sleep issues.
- Unsupported Leopard installation and the truth about Leopard DVD Player system requirements, 2007.10.25. How to create a hacked Leopard installer, and exactly what benefit you gain from a 1.6 GHz CPU with DVD Player under Leopard.
- Leopard DVD Player requires 1.6 GHz CPU, dual processor questions, and dual boot Macs, 2007.10.24. DVD Player currently runs on any G3 that supports Tiger, but the new version needs 1.6 GHz of power and other bloat in Leopard.
- Leopard pales before Mac OS 8.5 for Macs left behind, dual processor benefits, and more, 2007.10.23. Mac users may not remember that Mac OS 8.5 left behind some Macs just over two years old. Compared to that, Leopard users have it made.
- G4 iMac 'not half anything', LEM design comments, and more on Macs not supported by Leopard, 2007.10.22. The dual 800 MHz Power Mac may be supported, Apple is (or isn't) right to draw the line at 867 MHz, and an LC III that won't work with a PC display.
- Mac OS X 10.5 'Leopard' and the Macs left behind, 2007.10.18. Thoughts on the Macs left behind by Leopard, the viability of Tiger in the long haul, and more on L3 caches and DDR memory.
- iMac 350 a workhorse, priority of Level 2 cache, confusion about Macs and microphones, and more, 2007.10.17. Also Leopard won't install on a Power Mac G4 (PCI Graphics), finding a copy of BBEdit Lite to download, and falling in love with Macs.
- Faster flash memory makes a big difference, more RAM or a faster CPU?, OS X 10.4.10 problems, and more, 2007.10.16. Also Level 2 vs. Level 3 cache, the 64-bitness of Mac OS X, another Road Apple nomination, and gaming on Macs.
- On the irrational rantings of an Intel hater, 2007.10.15. Readers weigh in on last week's 'Bastard Offspring' article concerning Intel-based Macs.
- Road Apple nominations, OS X 10.5 on MDD Power Macs, UMPCs and Apple, and a broken power button, 2007.10.12. Whether some additional Macs merit the 'Road Apple' label, Leopard on Mirror Drive Door Power Macs, the usefulness of ultrasmall computers, and dealing with an iMac with a broken power button.
- Leopard on G4 Power Macs, Quicksilver and big drives, and pros and cons of schools leasing computers, 2007.10.10. Thoughts on the Mac OS X 10.5 installer, big drive support in the 2001 Quicksilver, differences between 2 GHz G5 Power Macs, and whether schools should lease computers or not.
- Digitizing video, unpaid rebates, Low End Mac gaming, handheld PCs, and more, 2007.10.09. Also why leasing computers makes no sense for schools, a misleading headline, problems using Compact Flash as a hard drive, and the OS 9 file system.
- Pages line spacing, subscript problems, and printing booklets, 2007.10.08. More discussion of linespacing problems in Pages, AppleWorks, and browsers, and another free solution for printing booklets.
- Disadvantage Macintosh debunked, 2007.10.05. With Mac OS X 10.4, the default CD burning format works with Macs and PCs. If the disc can't be read, suspect a hardware failure.
- Replacing Home Page, Compact Flash in Lombard, Leopard hardware requirements, mini upgrades, and more, 2007.10.04. Also the problems with using old computers in school, rebate problems, free imposition software, and a dead LC 520.
- Making DVDs from videotape with and without Macs, 2007.10.03. Thoughts on using iMovie and iDVD - and on using strictly hardware solutions to burn videotapes to DVD.
- Line spacing problem with Apple's Pages software solved, 2007.10.02. Pages does have a way to fix line spacing, but it's not something you're going to find easily.
- More in the 2003 Mailbag Index, 2006 Mailbag Index, and 2007 Mailbag Index.
Interviews with Dan Knight
- Interview: Daniel Knight, Low End Mac, Muzamil Akram, ATPM, 2001.09.11. "If anything, the importance of good writing . . . will be a stronger asset in the 21st century than it was in the last decades of the 20th century."
- Shawn King interviews Dan Knight on The Daily Report, The Mac Show, 2001.04.16. Topic: Low End Mac's "Best of the Mac Web" survey.
- Interview with Dan Knight, Ian Sidle, MacWrite.com, 2001.03.13
- Low End Mac's Dan Knight, MacMilitia, 2000.01.14
- Dan Knight, publisher and webmaster, Low End Mac, Mac Daily, 1999.11.10
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ